Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gun Cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun Cleaning

Hey everyone. What do ya'll use to clean and lube your pistol? I have an M&P 9c. Not sure what to use. There are so many options. But I want the best for keeping it cleaned and lubed. Any advice helps. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #2

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignatelli286
Hey everyone. What do ya'll use to clean and lube your pistol? I have an M&P 9c. Not sure what to use. There are so many options. But I want the best for keeping it cleaned and lubed. Any advice helps. Thanks.
You are gonna get tons of different answers on this subject, so with that said I use butches bore shine, or sweets #62 for cleaning an mpro 7 for lube

Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #3

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

You are gonna get tons of different answers on this subject, so with that said I use butches bore shine, or sweets #62 for cleaning an mpro 7 for lube
Sorry thats sweets 762 not 62

Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I use PB Blaster or WD40 for cleaning, Tetra or Permatex, white lithium grease WL-9 for slide and rails, Hoppe's 9 or 3-in-1 oil for rotating parts.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #5

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Best advice, buy the highest quality you can afford!

Good cleaning tools are an investment and should have as much pre-purchase research as did your gun selection.

I've used them all and can save you the time and $$$ with my recommendations. (Just remember this is subjective and don't get yourself confused with the Chevy vs Ford thingie.)

Here are my minimum requirements for gun maintenance: (provided links are for visual reference, SHOP around!)

Hardware (get dedicated tools and keep them in a cleaning box marked S&W M&P 9C and don't mix them with your other gun/caliber equipment.)

Consumables
  • Solvent(s) Get the Hoppes #9
    I like/use Hoppe's #9 Semi-Auto Bore Cleaning Solvent Hoppe's #9 Semi-Auto Bore Cleaning Solvent - MidwayUSA
  • Lube(s) (can't beat the default; Rem Oil)
    I blend my own. Cane's "Mobil Mystery", 90% Mobil 1 / 10% Marvel Mystery.
    +
  • Patches (get caliber-specific size patches and DON'T mix them!)
  • Q-Tips (can't clean guns without them!)

Tips:
  1. Use only properly sized tools (if you don't have that .45 bore brush, get one!)
  2. Clean your gun barrel in the same direction the bullet travels (on your gun, with the barrel removed, push the brush from breech to muzzle, remove the brush and pull the rod out, IOW, don't run it back-and-forth)
  3. Use a fresh patch on each pass (patches are cheap, barrels are expensive)
  4. DO NOT drag a dirty patch back through the "just cleaned" barrel
  5. Disassemble your gun only to the level required to access areas where fouling reaches
  6. Cleaning your gun requires a clean work area. The idea is to remove, not add dirt
  7. When it comes to lube, lighter is better (pass a lightly lubed bore mop 2-3 times instead of a oil soaked and dripping mop once)
  8. Lube needs to be present, not seen (visual) to work (see # 7 above)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

As already said, you'll get more differing ideas about this subject than you know what to do with. Like cane brake says, don't pinch pennies on the supplies to keep your pistol in top shape. However, there are some substitutes that can be made in a semi emergency. I like M-Pro-7 cleaner for cleaning (haven't tried their lubricant). Only one place in town has it & they were out of stock. I had a couple of guns to clean & just happened we'd washed the wife's car & I was cleaning the windows. The window cleaner she'd selected was doing such a great job & leaving no residue, I decided to try it on my pistols. It does work, but I always hedge my bets on any cleaner I use by following up with a liberal blast of non-chlorinated brake cleaner & then compressed air to be sure it is completely clean & dry before applying lube. I still use M-Pro-7 when they have it, but I have a good substitute for when I let myself run out.

For the bore, I use Hoppes #9 or Sweet 7.62. I prefer the Hoppes 'cause it smells better.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default Try this

Ballistol is for me cause its multi-purpose. It cleans, lubes, protects, and preserve all in one. Its not just for firearms though, you can use it on wood and other surfaces. Only thing is you cant find it in stores; online only but fast delivery.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #8

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

+1 on the Mobil1 oil....local gun store gu smith even suggested it..when he could have sold me gun oil the store stocks.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #9

Thank you all for the advice.