gun in car during summer

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > gun in car during summer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Default gun in car during summer

Hello i live in arizona and its starting to get hot out side is it safe to leave my gun/ammo in my car when it is hot out side because inside the car it gets alot hotter then out side

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3098 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 383

It's only going to be a problem if its hot enough to ignite the car.
SAAMI mentions heat above 150 degrees F, but only in the context that they may deteriorate causing poor function. I suspect that actual ignition will require temperatures well above what the componentry inside the car can take.
With this in mind, I'd recommend replacement of carry ammo exposed to extreme temps on a more frequent basis, just to stay ahead of possible deterioration.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Well thnx for the info

Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Have been in Gila Bend in August- you could use the bottled water in my trunk to make tea, hot chocolate, instant coffee- just wait for it to cool so you do not burn your mouth!

As the man said- not good for reliability of rounds stored in very high heat levels- but takes over 300 F to ignite a primer.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3174 Times on 1830 Posts
Likes Given: 2037

Think about removing the ammo and carrying it with you. Most places that have gun bans, probably do not have ammo bans, but I could be wrong.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #6

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

If I have to leave my ccw in my truck during the summer I leave my windows cracked and I carry a small cooler bag .I do shoot off rounds that have been sitting for a while at the range and load new rounds somewhere around every six weeks.This has served me well both in Chandler AZ as well as in Port Charlotte Florida during the height of the summer.

Last edited by SigArmored; 05-14-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #7

I think I can shed some light on this....

All of my guns and ammo went through a house fire. My wife's LCP was even on fire and melted the handle. NONE of them went off!!! None in the chambers, none in the magazines and none in any of the boxes that were all right under the roof that was on fire. Granted the LCP was the only thing that actually got torched, but nothing went off period. I had .22 .380 .38spl 9mm and 12ga.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarmboy21

All of my guns and ammo went through a house fire. My wife's LCP was even on fire and melted the handle. NONE of them went off!!! None in the chambers, none in the magazines and none in any of the boxes that were all right under the roof that was on fire. Granted the LCP was the only thing that actually got torched, but nothing went off period. I had .22 .380 .38spl 9mm and 12ga.
That's amazing!!! How well made is ammo that its on fire and doesn't go off!

Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I just left Arizona about a year ago (i will be heading back next week for a few days to). I was in Glendale too, not flagstaff or payson or any of the cooler places. I never had a problem, nor did any of my friends that carried or had guns in the car. Never even had a problem with a round after having it in there for over a month. You should be fine. I asked a bunch if people too at first, and none of them had ever had problems.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #10

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarmboy21

I'm really surprised the .22 ammo didn't cook off

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!