Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   gun in car during summer (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/gun-car-during-summer-90634/)

urquidez 05-13-2013 08:17 PM

gun in car during summer

Hello i live in arizona and its starting to get hot out side is it safe to leave my gun/ammo in my car when it is hot out side because inside the car it gets alot hotter then out side

Overkill0084 05-13-2013 08:35 PM

It's only going to be a problem if its hot enough to ignite the car. ;)
SAAMI mentions heat above 150 degrees F, but only in the context that they may deteriorate causing poor function. I suspect that actual ignition will require temperatures well above what the componentry inside the car can take.
With this in mind, I'd recommend replacement of carry ammo exposed to extreme temps on a more frequent basis, just to stay ahead of possible deterioration.

urquidez 05-13-2013 08:42 PM

Well thnx for the info

c3shooter 05-13-2013 08:57 PM

Have been in Gila Bend in August- you could use the bottled water in my trunk to make tea, hot chocolate, instant coffee- just wait for it to cool so you do not burn your mouth!

As the man said- not good for reliability of rounds stored in very high heat levels- but takes over 300 F to ignite a primer.

eatmydust 05-13-2013 09:05 PM

Think about removing the ammo and carrying it with you. Most places that have gun bans, probably do not have ammo bans, but I could be wrong.

SigArmored 05-14-2013 12:26 AM

If I have to leave my ccw in my truck during the summer I leave my windows cracked and I carry a small cooler bag .I do shoot off rounds that have been sitting for a while at the range and load new rounds somewhere around every six weeks.This has served me well both in Chandler AZ as well as in Port Charlotte Florida during the height of the summer.

thefarmboy21 05-14-2013 01:56 PM

I think I can shed some light on this....

All of my guns and ammo went through a house fire. My wife's LCP was even on fire and melted the handle. NONE of them went off!!! None in the chambers, none in the magazines and none in any of the boxes that were all right under the roof that was on fire. Granted the LCP was the only thing that actually got torched, but nothing went off period. I had .22 .380 .38spl 9mm and 12ga.

WillWorkForAmmo 05-14-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefarmboy21

All of my guns and ammo went through a house fire. My wife's LCP was even on fire and melted the handle. NONE of them went off!!! None in the chambers, none in the magazines and none in any of the boxes that were all right under the roof that was on fire. Granted the LCP was the only thing that actually got torched, but nothing went off period. I had .22 .380 .38spl 9mm and 12ga.

That's amazing!!! How well made is ammo that its on fire and doesn't go off!

kalboy26 05-15-2013 02:57 AM

I just left Arizona about a year ago (i will be heading back next week for a few days to). I was in Glendale too, not flagstaff or payson or any of the cooler places. I never had a problem, nor did any of my friends that carried or had guns in the car. Never even had a problem with a round after having it in there for over a month. You should be fine. I asked a bunch if people too at first, and none of them had ever had problems.

improvised_prepper 05-15-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefarmboy21

I'm really surprised the .22 ammo didn't cook off