Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Groups at 50ft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1660 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

My 1911 is the only gun I have that I can do that with. But it is also the gun I shoot the most. I practice slow fire as well as quick. The group we are talking about is obviously slow fire. If I fire at 15 yards there will be a hole exactly where my sights say it will be. I also use this gun for competition. Mesa County Swat sets up our competitions. They will often set up a stage requiring a head shot at 10-15 yards. They are often hostage situations. I have never hit a hostage. In the pictures below I am the one in the green shirt shooting. The white targets are hostages. In the picture where I am shooting the target has a black body. That means it is hard cover. It is as if he was standing behind something. The only possible shot is a head shot. I am not leaning on the baracade. We were not allowed to.

209.jpg   211.jpg  

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 08-12-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #12

First off you are doing a good job as new shooter. Most beginners can't hit the broad side of a barn with a 45. 9 inch groupings at 50 ft. really isn't bad. The cz and the xdm are capable of tighter groups at 50ft., but I wouldn't expect 2" or even 3" groups at 50 ft. Many self defense gun sights are fixed and set for floating the sights. This really makes precise, repetitive shots very difficult. Try an adjustable sight. For all its intents and purpose your guns are self defense weapon. If you are looking for tighter groups pick a gun that can truly out shoot you, say a target 22 like a ruger mark series or start with a good 1911 if your pocket permits. This will help eliminate some variables. In the meantime practice, practice, practice. You also may want to experiment with smaller or larger bullseyes, as some people can focus better on one or the other.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Last edited by gadrooning; 08-13-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #13

although it's not center fire, with my friends .22 pistol I could keep 1-2'' groups at 25-30 yds

aim small, miss small

Old 08-13-2010, 02:36 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Range shooting is supposed to be fun. Over concentration is one of the reasons I don't group that well at times. I tense up, things shake, grouping goes to heck.
Relaxing, working on basics, making it fun again seems to work for me.
^THIS is the reason I wish I could practice! tensing up, shaking, general adrenal-inspired mayhem sounds exactly what happens to me, lol. Part & parcel of competition until you get used to it I suppose (but sometimes I question if that will ever happen. Being able to practice in a calmer state of mind would help a lot I'm sure)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
First off you are doing a good job as new shooter. Most beginners can't hit the broad side of a barn with a 45. 9 inch groupings at 50 ft. really isn't bad. The cz and the xdm are capable of tighter groups at 50yds., but I wouldn't expect 2" or even 3" groups at 50 ft. Many self defense gun sights are fixed and set for floating the sights. This really makes precise, repetitive shots very difficult. Try an adjustable sight. For all its intents and purpose your guns are self defense weapon. If you are looking for tighter groups pick a gun that can truly out shoot you, say a target 22 like a ruger mark series or start with a good 1911 if your pocket permits. This will help eliminate some variables. In the meantime practice, practice, practice. You also may want to experiment with smaller or larger bullseyes, as some people can focus better on one or the other.
Well this (inadvertantly!) answers a few questions I have about sights. So this is why adjustable sights are advised...as pistol sights are commonly set to a defensive distance out of the box? OK I'm getting it now...I was told we must sight in for 25m. Makes sense.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 09-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #15

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

50ft is a bit close compared to what I normally shoot when target shooting.

This was an old target I shot awhile back while trying a new load.

Distance was 25 yards so I guess 80ft.

Done two handed standing using a .38 Super 1911. I've since worked out the load to get rid of the vertical spread.

Most of my target guns will shoot 1 inch 5 shot groups standing at 25 yards with reloads.