Groups at 50ft

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Groups at 50ft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Groups at 50ft

I'm curious what type of groups some of you more seasoned shooters manage to keep at 15-20yds with centerfire handguns. I'd like to know what a more experienced shooter typically expects of themselves.

I'm pretty new to shooting (1 yr) and brand new to indoor range shooting. I had my first indoor range session this evening with the lanes set at 50ft, and shooting at an "official" 20yd NRA slow fire pistol target (10.5"x12" paper, 9" target, 3.75" inner target)...sorry, the digicam is on the fritz.

Here's where I'm at, don't laugh too hard...

CZ 75b 9mm: 100% on the paper, 90+% within the 9" circle, no further significant grouping.
XDM 45acp: not quite 100% on paper, about 80% within 9" circle, no further significant grouping.

So I guess at this range I'll have to claim bowling ball sized groups. Plinking at 4-6" targets at similar ranges seems easy enough to me, but when I go for grouping my lack of discipline and fundamentals becomes pretty evident. I guess more trigger time is needed.

Last edited by sweeper22; 08-11-2010 at 04:03 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #2

Liked 1803 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

There are shooters here that are better than myself. But, I went to the range on Saturday afternoon. With my 1911 at about 15 yards i was able to put one big hole in the center of my ISPC silouette. I put nine rounds in it. I guess they were all touching each other. The hole was about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Nice. I'd be happy enough to work my way to softball sized groups. I'd say I'm only maybe 40% inside the black (3.75" center) at this point. I'm not sure why I find it more difficult to try and hit the same spot over and over again. Any idea why engaging 4-6" steel knockdowns at similar ranges would be so much easier for me?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Range shooting is supposed to be fun. Over concentration is one of the reasons I don't group that well at times. I tense up, things shake, grouping goes to heck.
Relaxing, working on basics, making it fun again seems to work for me.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am still pretty green when it comes to pistols. I have been shooting at our local outdoor range and the nearest is 15 yards. I Expect to put all my shots into a 8" shot n see. but i will every once in a while send one into lower left field. Every time i go i get better and better and feel more comfortable with the gun. At 25 yards I go with the 12" sticky and even then it is more like who hits it the most between me and my friends.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

If I could see the target at 50 feet I'd probably do OK. I don't delude myself and keep all my pistol shooting 10-12 yards and in. At 25 feet I can cut the center out of a target without much trouble...

Old 08-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #7

The closest range around here is free thats why I go there. But its also an outdoor range and the shortest one is 50 yds. So at 150 ft I use a 12x12 plain jane target. My goal at that distance isn't to group my shots but to simply make a hole anywhere on the paper. If I can get 7/8 on the 12x12 at 50yds Im as happy as I can be. From time to time though I do move in closer if Im there and no other folks are on it. When I get the opportunity I take advantage of the situation. If I walk down to anything less than 15 yds I make sure I plant 100% within the smallest ring which is 3.5". At 25yds I have to have all shots in the next ring which is 5". If I can't do it, I keep on until I do it or I run out of ammo. This helps me be that much more prepared for the time that I hope never comes when I have to use it. Of course I also go to longer ranges with the long guns, but this is where I go with handguns. I personally feel like as long as I'm hitting the target pretty good at 50yds, then I shouldn't have any trouble with a self defence situation, which is almost always within 21ft. But I'm no competition shooter either, Im sure a pro would make me look like a real ammeture. Just keep practicing no matter how you do it. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:50 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If you want to shoot small groups, it's my belief that you should shoot at the smallest target you can see at the range you want to shoot at. Aim small, miss small. (If I'm not perverting the expression.)
I realize that for self-defense type shooting you need to practice close and quick. But my most common use for a pistol is spruce grouse, and their heads are small.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #9

Default 3"-5"group

If I really mean it 3-5" it's OK, I space my delivery, manage my breathing ( pull the trigger when I'm exhaling), count in my head, reacquire target often ( lower your gun slightly, count one, raise your gun to acquire target, count two, put finger on trigger, count three, fire)
For me to keep my mind busy with the task, and avoid any flinching is one and the same

Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
With my 1911 at about 15 yards... I put nine rounds in...all touching each other.
That is some pretty good shooting IMO. I can't do that at 15 yards (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
At 25 feet I can cut the center out of a target without much trouble...
8 yards. At 8 yards I can "make them all touch each other"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinball View Post
...and the shortest one is 50 yds.
50 yards! You're hunting now.