Grouping shots - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Grouping shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 05:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try balancing a spent 45acp brass on top of the frame near the rear site. Make sure gun is empty and load a snap cap it will protect the firing pin. Practice dry firing and not let the brass fall. Also if the gun has a laser shine it against the target on the wall and have someone watch to see if the laser moves and in what direction.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 01-21-2012, 05:23 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never thought of that. Thanks. Now I'm looking into new sights also. Just do t know if I want to go down that road yet.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Lots of good advice on dry firing. Personally, I prefer to put the spent brass closer to the muzzle rather than near the rear sight — it's more challenging. If the top surface is round (no rib on a revolver, not a flat slide top) you can use a coin (or washer) instead of brass, which will also allow you to look down your sights.

You might also try bench firing. Pull up a chair to your firing table and support your hands on the table. If you have something you can put under the barrel and/or the whole gun, use it. The idea is to relieve you of the weight of the gun. It'll minimize the effects that you have on the gun. If you can take yourself out of the equation, you should start getting groups. You might also get a feel for what you've been doing to throw your rounds off.

If you like the idea of a laser trainer, look at LaserLyte. They make several types, including one that fits in the chamber. You can find the cartridge type for less than $100. The target that registers the laser costs a lot more, but you can just use a wall, especially if you have a friend spotting for you.

If your first couple of shots are good and your shots start wandering after that, you've probably developed one or more bad habits, such as flinching or squeezing your grip while firing. Someone mentioned having a friend load your magazine with a randomly placed snap cap or an empty chamber in your revolver. This will show you if you're flinching. I'd start with that. If you don't have someone to do that for you, you can sometimes get the result by dry firing immediately after shooting a string of live ammo. For instance, shoot all six rounds from your revolver, then "fire" it once more without a break and without changing anything. There isn't as much surprise, but the flinch will still show up oftentimes.

You mentioned moving only two digits while squeezing the trigger. The only thing that should move is your trigger finger.

You can find pictures online that will help you diagnose other problems based on your shot placement. Hopefully I just attached one to this post. If that didn't work, you can search the Internet for them.

target_shooting_diagnosis.jpg  

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Yea, 50 feet is insane. My range is probably half of that if i am lucky.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #15

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I’ve only shot single shot target, right handed, arm’s length, and that was a long time ago, so I don’t know if this has any bearing on self-defense shooting:

What does your hand look like when you fire your ‘gun’, only without the gun in your hand? Try and keep all your fingers relaxed and slightly open as if it had a gun in it, except for your trigger finger which you will be moving. Watch your thumb and the ends of the other three fingers. Do they twitch? Look at the back of your hand. Can you detect subtle movements in the tendons of the other fingers? Basically check to see that the only movement is your trigger finger. What you’re looking for is whether you can really operate your index finger independently of the others. When you hold a gun, the pressure of your grip masks how interrelated they are and it’s hard to tell the degree of independent index finger control you may have.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't know if you have seen this or not it's been floating around for some time now but, take a look it may help in some way.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 01-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

another thing, you have said that you do try trigger control try , add taking up the slack, sqeeeeeeeeez once you get the trigger break and bang, hold the trigger and release slowly until you feel the "click" of the trigger reset the stop, start the next shop from there.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649