Grouping shots
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Grouping shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Grouping shots

Okay I been shooting for about 6 months now. Semi autos and revolvers. Now I am in need of some help. I cannot group shots for the life of me. The range I go to I put the target out probably about 40-50 feet only because they don't allow closer. Have to stay in the light. Sux. But when I shoot I will hit the silhouette body but NONE of my shots will stay within a grouping center. It seems like I concentrate on aiming and it's going to go there but they never do. Maybe 2 shots will be close then all the others just go wherever they want. I want to be able to group tight at about 20-25 yards like everyone else. My guns I shoot feel great in my hands to so I don't know the problem. I am also holding the gun right too and using the pad of the last digit on my trigger finger and not holding grip hard with pinky so i dont pull down. I just don't get it. Driving me crazy. Some help and tips here would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #2

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

First try to have someone knowledgeable look at your grip and stance. It may seem fine to you but it is likely to be at least some of your problem. Do you practice dry firing? A big, big help. Did I mention dry firing? Bring a friend with and have him load the gun but sometimes give you an empty chamber to check your reaction without the bang. There are many many tricks to help. Look at Shooting USA Shooting Sports Television for shooting tips. Or google shooting tips to get alot of info.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #3

Liked 1847 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

Do you pull the trigger or slowly squeeze? It makes a huge difference. If I am doing real acurate shooting I squeeze the trigger so slowly that I am almost surprised when it goes off.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:28 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks hiwall. I will have a friend do that just to see. Sounds like a good trick. And to Rick. I really can't distinguish between pulling and squeezing ( I know sounds dumb). When I aim I stare at the front site with my right eye and when I pull the trigger only my first two digits move. And I try to keep any of my finger from rubbing the trigger and guard. I want to get one of those laser training targets but don't want to spend 300 dollars on something that I don't know will even work. I think I'd rather just spend the money on the 22 lr kit for my beretta m9. That way I can shoot long times without breaking the bank.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:31 AM   #5

Perhaps I should have said jerk the trigger. I simply meant to slowly squeeze instead of quickly jerking on it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:33 AM   #6

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

+1 to hiwall and Rick...dryfire and trigger control are essential. You said you're not allowed to shoot closer than 50 ft at your range? Find a new place to shoot. Self defense handgunning is done much, MUCH closer than that, 21 ft and in. Get good at close shots first...practice...satety

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

@rick. I do jerk if that's pulling fast. But when I squeeze slowly it seems like it just makes me shake my hand too much. I'll have to work on that.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not shake, but sway.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #9

That is something you will need to work on. Trigger control is very important. Maybe the most important part of accurate shppting. Are you shooting a double action or single action? Dry firing will help. Check to make sure your gun is empty. Then check it again. Then a third time just for good measure. Pick a spot on the wall in your house. Maybe a picture or a poster. It needs to be a very small spot. Practice squeezing the trigger while you look down the sights. Keep the sights aligned until it goes click. Just keep doing it over and over again.

Do not dry fire a 22. You can damage the chamber.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks man. Appreciate the help.