Grouping question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Grouping question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Grouping question

Ok, help me out here. I've been shooting since the end of March/beginning of April. At 7 yards, I can shoot a 5 shot group with all rounds touching 6 outta 10 times and under 2" pretty much every time. But I'm reading/seeing that people are grouping 2 inches at 25 yards. Please tell me that this is on a rest of some sort. If it's free standing, I quit now.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3049 Times on 1753 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Practice, practice, practice.
Some of us have been at this game for years. Practice is great if you improve, but to keep shooting the same and getting same result, well something needs to change.
Your grip, stance, review of the basics.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #3

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

What gun and caliber are you using?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #4

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I been shooting rifles for a long long time and am very good,but when I started shooting pistols 2 and a half years ago,all I could do was make a 11"x8" target look like it was hit with buckshot with centerfire handguns.Then I bought myself a .22,same results right away,but after 6 months of having it I can now group 1"@7 yards standing and even put 50% of my rounds in the same hole.Get a .22 if you don't have one and spend lots of time shooting,you will learn a whole lot of technique that just can't be explained verbally.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 07-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I thought it said Groping question. that I could have helped you with.

Grouping, now that is a whole other subject. Practice, Practice, Practice. Funny that works for groping also.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:45 AM   #6

i actually found a paper target that tells you what you did wrong depending on where you hit and it actually helped me somewhat. i only shot about 50 rounds at it. i havent been shooting pistols religiously for very long and have been shooting to the left since i started shooting my .40 and according to this target, i squeezed my finger tips too much so i concentrated on gripping the weapon with my whole hand and the problem was solved for the most part. it looked something like this, the target ares were a little different sizes tho

Correction Target

Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #7

Ok, maybe I'm not being clear. I want to know if people that group 2 inches from 25 yards are using something to rest the pistol on OR are they just standing and shooting?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Old 07-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5913 Times on 3086 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
Ok, maybe I'm not being clear. I want to know if people that group 2 inches from 25 yards are using something to rest the pistol on OR are they just standing and shooting?
Ive seen guys stack rounds in one ragged hole unsupported at that distance. Last winter i let a older gentleman who carried an ithaca 1911 in ww2 shoot my ww2 ithaca at 25 yards he put all 8 into a 1.5 inch circle.

Years of practice. My advice and whats really helped me a lot is get into 22lr shooting. Its easier to diagnose shooter error with a low recoil round. Just apply what you learn to center fire. Ill prolly shoot 500 22lr for every 50 45acp i fire.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3049 Times on 1753 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

I hate giving a "It depends..." answer, but I have to.

It depends on which handgun I am using. I do not use a rest unless I am testing a handgun. I have a couple that I have shot in 2" or less when standing without a rest, but I have more that will shoot 5" groups with a rest.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #10

How? Man I can't even SEE a 2 inch group at 25 yards. ::sigh:: Maybe I should get a scope and some glasses...and not necessarily in that order.