Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Grouping question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/grouping-question-45889/)

Thadeuce 07-27-2011 10:56 PM

Grouping question

Ok, help me out here. I've been shooting since the end of March/beginning of April. At 7 yards, I can shoot a 5 shot group with all rounds touching 6 outta 10 times and under 2" pretty much every time. But I'm reading/seeing that people are grouping 2 inches at 25 yards. Please tell me that this is on a rest of some sort. If it's free standing, I quit now.

danf_fl 07-27-2011 11:19 PM

Practice, practice, practice.
Some of us have been at this game for years. Practice is great if you improve, but to keep shooting the same and getting same result, well something needs to change.
Your grip, stance, review of the basics.

Yunus 07-27-2011 11:24 PM

What gun and caliber are you using?

ninjatoth 07-27-2011 11:27 PM

I been shooting rifles for a long long time and am very good,but when I started shooting pistols 2 and a half years ago,all I could do was make a 11"x8" target look like it was hit with buckshot with centerfire handguns.Then I bought myself a .22,same results right away,but after 6 months of having it I can now group 1"@7 yards standing and even put 50% of my rounds in the same hole.Get a .22 if you don't have one and spend lots of time shooting,you will learn a whole lot of technique that just can't be explained verbally.

Shihan 07-27-2011 11:48 PM

I thought it said Groping question.:eek: that I could have helped you with.

Grouping, now that is a whole other subject. Practice, Practice, Practice. Funny that works for groping also.:D

bmatt1 07-28-2011 01:45 AM

i actually found a paper target that tells you what you did wrong depending on where you hit and it actually helped me somewhat. i only shot about 50 rounds at it. i havent been shooting pistols religiously for very long and have been shooting to the left since i started shooting my .40 and according to this target, i squeezed my finger tips too much so i concentrated on gripping the weapon with my whole hand and the problem was solved for the most part. it looked something like this, the target ares were a little different sizes tho

Correction Target

Thadeuce 07-28-2011 02:40 PM

Ok, maybe I'm not being clear. I want to know if people that group 2 inches from 25 yards are using something to rest the pistol on OR are they just standing and shooting?

JonM 07-28-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thadeuce (Post 551516)
Ok, maybe I'm not being clear. I want to know if people that group 2 inches from 25 yards are using something to rest the pistol on OR are they just standing and shooting?

Ive seen guys stack rounds in one ragged hole unsupported at that distance. Last winter i let a older gentleman who carried an ithaca 1911 in ww2 shoot my ww2 ithaca at 25 yards he put all 8 into a 1.5 inch circle.

Years of practice. My advice and whats really helped me a lot is get into 22lr shooting. Its easier to diagnose shooter error with a low recoil round. Just apply what you learn to center fire. Ill prolly shoot 500 22lr for every 50 45acp i fire.

danf_fl 07-28-2011 03:17 PM

I hate giving a "It depends..." answer, but I have to.

It depends on which handgun I am using. I do not use a rest unless I am testing a handgun. I have a couple that I have shot in 2" or less when standing without a rest, but I have more that will shoot 5" groups with a rest.

Thadeuce 07-28-2011 03:31 PM

How? Man I can't even SEE a 2 inch group at 25 yards. ::sigh:: Maybe I should get a scope and some glasses...and not necessarily in that order.