Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Grizzly bear killed with .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I personally wouldn't reach for my 1911 when hiking in brown bear country. I have a 44 mag minimum for such tasks. Glad to hear it worked out well for everyone but the bear.
And I would agree, but some people don't have that luxury and this person might have grabbed the biggest stick he had.

At least he went well heeled and didn't try the bear spray and ringing bells route.

Personally I would want something with some serious power for even the "smaller" bears around these parts.

Bears be dangerous yo, and they be meat eaters.

JD

Old 06-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
And I would agree, but some people don't have that luxury and this person might have grabbed the biggest stick he had.

At least he went well heeled and didn't try the bear spray and ringing bells route.

Personally I would want something with some serious power for even the "smaller" bears around these parts.

Bears be dangerous yo, and they be meat eaters.

JD
Yes, the .44 magnum. Simply display this weapon and tell the bear, "this is a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off." The bear will cower in fear and give you now trouble.

I would take the biggest cannon I could, right now that would be 12guage slug, but I would prefer a 45-70.

The man brought what he had and he and his survived to tell the tale.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat4sti View Post
Attachment 15058
Maybe they should have read the sign at the front of the park and worn some bells.
That was funny as hell.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #14

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Really it isn't any dumber than what is law in most major urban areas. For example, with a license I can carry a handgun but it is illegal to discharge a firearm anywhere in the county other than at a shooting range. However, if I use my pistol for self defense they will be looking at justification before considering the possibility of charging me with any offense including the discharging violation.

In this instance I'm fairly certain that if the hiker shot the bear in self defense there won't be any problem. However if it wasn't self defense or if he provoked an attack then they probably will, and should, throw the book at him!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 742

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666 View Post
Really it isn't any dumber than what is law in most major urban areas. For example, with a license I can carry a handgun but it is illegal to discharge a firearm anywhere in the county other than at a shooting range. However, if I use my pistol for self defense they will be looking at justification before considering the possibility of charging me with any offense including the discharging violation.

In this instance I'm fairly certain that if the hiker shot the bear in self defense there won't be any problem. However if it wasn't self defense or if he provoked an attack then they probably will, and should, throw the book at him!
Even with a .45, you'd have to be the biggest idiot in the world to provoke a grizzly to attack you.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #16

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Even with a .45, you'd have to be the biggest idiot in the world to provoke a grizzly to attack you.
And you are naive enough to believe that there aren't idiots out there??? Just read the anti self-defense post from sweatie pie to see how stupid some people can be!!!

Old 06-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I bet $3 that they find he was not justified in shooting the bear and fine the snot out of him in order to discourage other people. I can just hear the anti-gunners now. "This is just what we told you would happen if you allowed people to carry guns in National Parks. You'll turn them into shooting galleries!"

Old 06-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1802 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 2030

Default Bears and BEARS

Once read about a bear that was found dead in Alaska. Big Grisly, They did a necropsy an found out that he died of lead poisoning The bear was shot with 357's, 44's and 00 Buck! I think they said he was shot over thirty times.: Wills in da Swamp in La.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 742

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve666 View Post
And you are naive enough to believe that there aren't idiots out there??? Just read the anti self-defense post from sweatie pie to see how stupid some people can be!!!
How about this paraphrase...

If you are idiot enough to provoke a Grizzly to attack you, even if you are carrying a .45, you will do us all a favor by becoming bear food.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 06-02-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Good for dude! I hope he gets to keep the carcass or the parts of it he wants. I still see no purpose in allowing free-ranging animals that can/do attack humans to continue to waste air, but i think i'm in the minority on that.

Heck, they should reward him for making the park/trail a safer place, IMO. Maybe they could just give him some brown pants for when he tells the story to his friends "...after the bear ran off, i realized my jeans were no longer blue...".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.