Grips for a Whitney Wolverine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Grips for a Whitney Wolverine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Grips for a Whitney Wolverine

I am a grandfather who dotes on his only granddaughter and would never treat her differently than her male brothers and cousins. That said, here is my question: I have purchased a Olympic Arms Whitney Wolverine .22LR semi-auto pistol for her Christmas present. It is in her favorite color: PINK (!) and is quite swoopy and sleek and she has wanted one since she saw a picture of one in that color a while back. It comes from the factory with rather plain, black plastic grips and I have decided that replacements in ivory-white or silver would be a nice touch on this pistol. Any suggestions, gentlemen? Most places have no idea what a Whitney Wolverine is, much less have grips to fit. I would appreciate any assistance (or even alternate grip style suggestions) that you may be able to provide. Grampa/Santa thanks you!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good man!

I hate to say it, but you may have to have them custom made as the Wolverine isn't exactly a common pistol. Search the net as best you can, you may find some, but I kind of doubt it. Check the gun auction sites like Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, etc. as well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

It appears that grips for the wolverine are complicated - not a DIY project. You might want to consider having the grips refinished. I am not an expert on painting composite finishes but other members have painted composite firearms.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #4

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
It appears that grips for the wolverine are complicated - not a DIY project. You might want to consider having the grips refinished. I am not an expert on painting composite finishes but other members have painted composite firearms.
This is going to be your best option. As others have said, search eBay, Google, gun auctions sites, and anywhere else but I suspect you won't have much luck. You may have to try the spray paint that is made to adhere to plastics. You might also try something like Duracoat or Cerakote.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #5

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Try here.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=6308

Old 09-22-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your suggestions; it is an interesting problem I've created for myself, isn't it? An examination of the schematic on the Olympic Arms website (Olympic is the current manufacturer of the Wolverine) shows that the grips are apparently fairly simple in contour, held in place with two screws on each side (like a 1911!). When the piece arrives I will have to remove them and examine them closely to see just how "simple" they are. It does show on the site that a set of natural wood grips with cross-hatching are available. They aren't much to look at but are better than the plain, black plastic scales that come with the gun. It is apparent that patience will be required on my part before any progress can be made, but I should get this problem solved in the three-months before Christmas (I had better!). Again, thank you and I promise to post whatever the results are after the first of the year...if I can get her to let go of the thing long enough!

Old 09-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #7

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

I never heard of this pistol. Did a little research...and ordered one off of gun broker in desert tan. Duck dodgers time!

Old 09-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

There are white grips out there, but finding them is the trick. Good luck with the search.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

you can find grip for whitney at vintagegungrips.com , they cost 31.00 and can be had in any material in any color white pink green etc....

Old 09-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you, guncollector; that looks like the solution to my problem. Now I will consult with her father to determine what color to get since that company offers so many choices. As for tacticalfun, I was thinking of "Tom Corbett: Space Cadet" but that was 50's TV space-opera rather than an ageless cartoon. The Wolverine does look like it could fit into anything from Buck Rogers to Star Trek without raising eyebrows. The reviews say the pistol is an excellent shooter and handles in the Ruger Mark and Browning Buckmaster tradition. While I personally would rather have one of the original alloy models from the 50's or 60's, I think my Granddaughter will do fine with the pink polymer. Let me know how you like your Desert Tan version.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan