Gripping for recoil control - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gripping for recoil control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3443 Times on 1971 Posts
Likes Given: 1498

I like a firm grip (like using a hammer). It doesn't bring on the shakes as fast, doesn't get tiring too fast.

Too loose is not recommended.
Proper placement is critical.

But what works for me may not work for you.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Try this;
  • Start at 5 meters (~15')
  • Grip gun with isometric resistance right to left hand. Push with strong side and pull with weak side. [You are shooting two hand, right?] Start out easy and experiment by applying different (but equal fore and aft isometric) pressure's until it starts working. (read: hits on point of aim.)
  • I know this is going to confuse you even more but....with your two hand purchase (squeeze) relax your strong side (trigger hand) 'squeeze' and tighten your weak side until you have a 10% delta. The gun should be held 60% with the weak side purchase and 40% strong side. This relaxes the trigger finger.
Now for the training. Each time you fill the sight with target, but just before you pull the loud switch, ask yourself;
  • Do I have a clear focus on the front sight?
  • Do i have good isometric balance? (push to pull)
  • Does my weak side hand have control of the 'squeeze'?
  • Is my trigger finger relaxed and properly on the trigger?
  • Do I have a clear focus on the front sight?
  • Start the pull and ALWAYS have the trigger break surprise you. (let it happen, don't "make" it happen) This is your "follow through".
Trigger pull MUST be;
  1. Deliberate
  2. Linear in pressure
This is training, NOT a race. Go slow, boringly slow. Speed will come but you must earn it!

When you become tired of all those bull's eyes, move the target out to 7 meters and start over. See above. ^

This really works for my students, let me know if it helps you.

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
danf_fl Likes This