Gripping for recoil control
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gripping for recoil control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Gripping for recoil control

I have read many articles and watched many instructional videos about gripping techniques for recoil control. I'd like to be able to make faster followup shots. Some of the material is conflicting between instructors. Some say to grip as hard as possible, while others say only grip hard enough to control it (like I'm supposed to know how hard that is). It's not even clear to me what they mean by "grip." Am I supposed to be gripping hard with my fingers and thumbs, gripping with force from my palm and opposing fingers, or what?

The best way for me to control recoil is by locking my elbows, pushing forward into the grip with my palm, and pulling on the opposite side of the grip with my opposing hand. This controls recoil fairly well, but it causes my sights to shake. When I grip hard with my fingers only (no arm influence) the shaking goes away but the recoil affects my followup shots.

Here's a picture of what my current grip would look like (to some degree)

So what exactly am I doing wrong, and what do I need to do? I have the general idea of how to actually hold the gun. I have a full wrap with my opposing palm in the empty space on the left side of the grip, and my fingers are wrapped up at an angle to keep both arms even. I generally get on target very fast this way, so I'm getting that right. It's just the recoil control I can't get down.

Thanks for advise

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #2

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

You're doing it right. If you're making fast shots, a little bit of sight shake is expected. After all, you're not exactly threading a needle with rapid fire... Mostly just keep your trigger hand in line with the bore so the recoil is coming straight back.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #3

By keeping my trigger hand in line with the bore....

When I first started shooting I kept the bore going straight back into my thumb. Now I have it switched where the grip is going straight back into the palm (between my thumb and knuckles). In other words, if I make a U with my thumb and fingers, with my thumb even with my fingers, I put the gun straight back into the palm. That leaves a nice space for my opposing palm to get on the grip. Is that good?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #4

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Your wrist should be straight. You want the force of the recoil going straight into your forearm. Other than that, practice practice practice.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #5

Liked 1447 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 337

My advice would be as tight as you can before your hand shakes. The other comments above are also "on target".

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #6

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

What I've learned from reading and shooting is to, primarily, grip, with shooting hand, as high and as tight as possible. Put the webbing/cupping of your thumb/forefinger as high as you can against the top of the grip where it meets the slide, avoiding any slide burn, which is easy except for on cheap ROF guns. Put thumb as low as possible on fingers, to ensure tightness, and cover with brace hand, using brace thumb to hold second down and, thusly, tight. The rest is inconsequential and unimportant. Put brace in front of trigger guard or bellow magbutt, who cares, just don't use it to control aim, rather, maintain as simply a brace, other than thumb locking down grip-hand thumb.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #7

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

^^^^this is what I was going to say. Start with proper placement in shooting hand.

NEVER FORGET

Old 10-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #8

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
Your wrist should be straight. You want the force of the recoil going straight into your forearm. Other than that, practice practice practice.
I agree! Your wrist needs to be straight. With your current grip you are defeating any chance of becoming an instictive shooter (no sights required). You want your wrist straight just like pointing your finger.

Cocking that darned thing will help a lot too.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
I agree! Your wrist needs to be straight. With your current grip you are defeating any chance of becoming an instictive shooter (no sights required). You want your wrist straight just like pointing your finger.

Cocking that darned thing will help a lot too.
I think I see what you mean by keeping my wrist straight, but on the wrong axis. The grip is at too great of an angle to have my wrist level with the slide and my forearm. Doing so would require me to bend my elbow half way almost, or have the gun pointing down almost 45 degrees.

I'm pretty good at snap shooting. I don't really need the sights that much. They're combat sights so they're not precise like on a target pistol. With the way I hold my arms, as soon as I bring up the gun the front sight is already in the middle. I don't need to look for it. I've been told to focus only on the front sight, not the target or the rear sights at all. Just the front sight. It's very confusing. That's what I've been doing. I don't particularly like combat sights, but this gun is for close-range defense purposes so they'll be sufficient for my needs.

Last edited by slog; 10-01-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #10

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Looks like you have got the basics right (need to straighten the wrist some), and I agree with most of the above posts. Everyone seems to have a little tweak to their own personal grip, I am no different. I use the thumb of my support hand higher in the frame /slide area. Just what I do differently than the pic of the OP, just watch that if you switch to a wheel gun, it gets a little warm.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.