You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Great range story

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2014, 05:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 595 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Great range story

So went to the range today (I usually go once per week) and brought along a new friend I made at work. He is former NYPD and former Secret Service so pretty damn experienced around firearms.

So we shot my AR-15 and them moved to the handguns (Bersa Thunder 380, Glock 19 Gen 4 and CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical) . He was impressed with my mechanics and accuracy and then he went into training mode.

I told him how I do practice 1 handed, distance, rapid, etc. He explained that target (3 inch or less groupings) is fine, but what matters is center mass in any situation and at random distance and random conditions. Thus the new training.

He had me shoot left handed. Yikes. He had me shoot, drop the mag and pop in a new one without taking my eyes off the target. Timed shooting. He gave me multiple mags but loaded the first and I did not know if there were 16 rounds or 3. The surprise of being "out" and having to change quickly. It was awesome. I learned ALOT and learned ALOT about what I need to learn.

Later, he should me (at my home) disarming techniques and how I can practice on my own. I have to tell you, it was an awesome experience.

I cant say enough about being trained by someone well beyond "target shooting". Like he said, targets don't attack or shoot back and conditions are not always optimal.

THATS a range day !

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" ó Mark Twain
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2014, 05:09 AM   #2
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3392 Times on 2294 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Yes, that is a Good range day!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4124 Times on 2106 Posts
Likes Given: 523

"Ball and Dummy". Have someone insert a dummy in a reandom place in the mag. Click, rack, bang. Learn to quickly react when you have a malfunction. Stopping to think about what went wrong will get you killed in a gun fight
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 09-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #4

Liked 3746 Times on 2179 Posts
Likes Given: 942

D1, it sounds like a great day. When I was younger I had a CHP officer do some of the same for me. He gave me drills to run at the range. Did the random mag capacity drills, or dummy round drills, weak hand drills, etc. It was an eye opener on many of the things I wasn't considering.

Years later after joining the Navy and getting ready to deploy, I had a Marine Staff Sargent open my eyes once again by introducing full one handed operation drills, in how to get a firearm up and running and keep it running and reloaded if either arm ended up being wounded. His training allowed me to get my sidearm charged and running with one hand when a convoy got charged by several people and I was trying to still drive a truck while having one if the attackers climbing in my window. That action got the attacker to leave and for the crowd to disperse. Thank God I didn't have to actually shoot anybody.

The Mag-pul videos have given me a lot of inspiration for drills to try and philosophy to consider. Learning from as many people as possible only makes us more rounded. It also breaks the boredom of repetitive training.
jozimoto Likes This 
Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #5

I have been given one handed and rapid mag drills by friends and relatives in the military or LE Trained. It took a while to learn the stuff and improve, and that was while in the Army. We had some of it when they sent our shooting team from the 10th MTN. To Gunsite in 1988.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #6

Liked 595 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default It was pretty cool

More lessons to come.

I did order an extended mag release for my Glock (Tango Down) since it will help reaching the release without turning and searching.
"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" ó Mark Twain

Old 09-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant_one View Post
More lessons to come.

I did order an extended mag release for my Glock (Tango Down) since it will help reaching the release without turning and searching.

Cool! Great to get to work out stuff with folks at the top of their career, no matter if active Duty Mil, LE, or a pro shooter. One of my Cousins is in Pvt., Security in Charlotte NC( metro area) is coming out here in Dec. to visit( just found out today in fact that he's booked right up the road). He's going to ship a few things here to avoid the hassle of flying it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk