Grab that gun fast - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Grab that gun fast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
Jay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

I've adapted to many things over 40 years of shooting, but my basics will function the same way. I will not subject myself to trying to remember different positioning of that pistol on my nightstand every night. It's put in the same place to avoid my having to "remember" where/how it lays. I know where it is, and I can retrieve it without having to adapt to anything. I cannot practice what I would do if the floor under my nightstand suddenly fell through, or other "not likely" scenarios. Adaptation is fine, and training to adapt is fine, but I'm a believer in "consistency breeds proficiency". I've taught that way for many years, and been very successful with it.

I don't think that human beings can do much of anything that's not adaptable. If one doesn't train repeatedly, using the same techniques, muscle memory never develops. Being able to adapt is good, but the base function should be repeatable without too much conscious effort, in order for the adaptation to be successful. One can "think" of an adaptive solution, but physically executing that solution will be more successful if practiced..... preferably the same way, each time …..

To each his/her own.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
It would be difficult for an intruder to gain access to my home undetected at night. The 80 pound dog could be taken out, but the audible motion sensors will give us plenty of time to wake before any sort of potential target presents itself.
Indeed. Having a dog, besides a reachable and visible firearm, go hand and hand when we are talking about home security and protection. A dog is the cheapest and #1 security investment one could make and your first alert...or you can pay a fancy security service $15-$20 a month, if for some reason you can't have a dog. Some people have both.

Upkeep and expense works out about the same, but with a dog there are many, many other rewarding and memorable benefits, and he is part of the family!

I suppose you could pat that security representative on the head once in the while and tell them good boy or girl!

Just my worth, keep the change.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
Jay

You can always go out and buy a good shotgun. We have been very fortunate to have always had outstanding dogs...... including this one.......

From this.....

To this... in 18 months...... 80 pounds.....

NRA Life Member

Some of my toys

Old 11-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Shotgun was included in my meaning of "reachable and visible firearm" in my post.

Good looking dog Jay!

This one will not only bark and alert me to any intrusion sounds in the night, but if he gets a hold of you, he will damn sure chew your toe off...or anything else he can reach! Notice the evil red eyes!

tobi-joe.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #15
Jay

I see the glint in his eyes... I don't want Luka to bite anyone. He's never done so, and I wouldn't encourage it. He does a very good job of alerting to strangers, and looks imposing enough that most wouldn't try him. I'm ok with that.....

Sorry, didn't mean to "drift" the thread...

NRA Life Member

Some of my toys

Old 11-19-2010, 02:01 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To the OP that is a neat tip and thanks for sharring. I expect if a bad guy saw the two glowing spots it would take far longer for them to figure out it a handgun that it would take the owner to know it is a handgun and grab it. As mentioned by another poster I use my night sights for a similar purpose when I tuck in for the night. I fully understand the three step concept (keep your firearms three steps from where you sleep so you have time to wake before you touch the firearm). I expect it is a good idea but not for me simply because I can't be certian I will be allowed three step by the intruder. I perfer the creature of habit method several mentioned. I put my pistol in the same location each night, close at hand. I expect if your prone to nightmares that wake you to grab a firearm this may be a bad idea. In short it comes down to what works for you to keep you and your safe if bad comes to your home.

BTW Jack what are you feeding that little demon dog? It looks pizzed!

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #17

FWIW:

There are currently a few awaiting either trials or sentencing for shootings they maintain took place during their sleep due to the ready presence of a gun.

I am as pro gun as anyone. Yet I investigate these type shootings a couple times a year. Each shooter always says they were careful and never expected it could hapen to them.

Nationwide, it happens hundreds of times annually.

As to obtaining a weapon at night, put me inside any home and I can get three feet from a deep sleep before an intruder will get to the bedroom.

If a home is properly locked with quality materials, there will be enough noise made to waken a person before actual entry can be made.

Most home invasions take place when the residents are not home. Those taking place while the residents are present will generally begin with a knock on the door.

Trust me on this. It can happen to you. Just as one would not put a gun within the reach of children, they put it where a toddler can get to it as the owner sleeps, they put it where they can accidently use it in some fashion and they end up being charged with shooting a household member.

We each know what we feel is best for ourselves and we each say things will not happen to us but they do happen to us. Just as those getting a first offense DUI always say, " I am careful and I would not drive if I were intoxicated." The accidental home shooter says, "You cannot arrest me, I did not mean to do this. It was an accident."

Last edited by oldman45; 11-19-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #18

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

mine stays in my top dresser drawer(in my carry holster), along with spare mag, Surefire G2, wallet, keys and pocketknife.

I have a 2 yearold, so leaving it on the endtable is not an option anymore.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just how big and far away from the bed are your nightstands people?

If your struggling to find your nightstand gun when you wake to a strange noise you need a smaller nightstand. If you wake up and the intruder is already standing over you you're probably screwed anyway. But if you do survive, get a different dog. If you didn't have a dog, get one.

I keep my gun on the nightstand in its SERPA holster. That way I won't accidentally shoot myself when I reach for the snooze button.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
You can always go out and buy a good shotgun. We have been very fortunate to have always had outstanding dogs...... including this one.......

From this.....

To this... in 18 months...... 80 pounds.....

A good dog can make a man a crowd. One should always have a few around.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7