Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Grab that gun fast (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/grab-gun-fast-34432/)

gatopardo 11-16-2010 12:22 AM

Grab that gun fast

Some of us have a preferred "night stand shooter", at the ready, which is our tool of choice in the case of an emergency. there are special holster used on the bedside which allow for a quick draw. But that is not the case with everyone else. Some of us literally lay our gun over a night stand at hands reach, in my case there are two of them,on each side of the bed.

We find that laying a couple of pieces of phosphorescent self adhesive on the bottom of the magazine, helps you locate your weapon in a moment of excitement.

http://ninjalawncare.biz/sensorycue/mags/P1010670.JPG

Why two pieces? Two is better than one, two indicate a direction, a vector.
Say , you could use the same technique on your light switches indicating the direction of the swipe needed to get that light on.

Please notice also both pieces are not the same size, indicating this way the direction of the barrel

http://ninjalawncare.biz/sensorycue/mags/P1010669.JPG

You don't need to do on all mags, just that specific one, once you grab the gun, if you use your weak hand "saucer style", the self adhesive is covered so, this way it won't compromise your position.

The argument can be made by seasoned experts in the matter, that this enhancement is unnecessary, having practiced and honed that specific skill, unfortunately, that is not everyone, me included.
When life is at risk every bit helps.

HKSlinger 11-16-2010 12:39 AM

Very good idea. I've been using a sheet of metal about a 16th of an inch thick, 12" wide, with a 45 on it. The short side is about 5" that holds the holster. Long side, between box and matt.,is about 7" Easy to reach. when the beds made,can hardly tell its there. I think there's a co. out there making them,Blue press has it I believe. Good thinking with the tape though.

JonM 11-16-2010 12:48 AM

not a bad idea long as you got tape with a glow that will last the nite :)

Dizzll 11-16-2010 12:56 PM

Seems good to me. I can see my night sights very clearly though. It's funny cuz I literally close my eyes and position my gun so the handle hangs off a bit but so in the middle of the night I will reach exactly for it. Since I don't use a holster at night I don't chamber my Glock haha... That could be embarrassing or dangerous cuz I woke up from a nightmare...

oldman45 11-17-2010 10:45 AM

Anything visible to the owner will be visible to others. I do not, as a gun owner, LEO or carrying CCW want anything to draw attention to my gun.

I am a creature of habit. My carry 1911 is placed each night on a cotten (clean) baby diaper on top of a dresser three feet from my bedside. Without any markings, the position will not vary one inch on any night.

The reason for being three feet from the bed is I have worked likely a hundred accidental shootings. Many of them took place in a bedroom after a nightmare, sudden movement or unusual noise. The sleepy gun owner grabbed a gun from under the mattress, out of the pillow slip or off the night stand and fired before being fully awake or identifying the intended target. The target usually was a child, wife or relative spending a night.

Having to step from the bed to a dresser causes the gun owner to become alert enough to understand what is going on such as the wife tripping over a pair of shoes as she returns from a trip to the bathroom. The gun is also close enough that if it was an unwanted and unwelcome intruder that it can be reached long before the intruder enters the darkened bedroom. Most intruders are not familar with the layout of the home as is the homeowner and darkness as well as familarity of the home is on the side of the homeowner.

Just my opinion and each to his own.

winds-of-change 11-17-2010 10:59 AM

Very good advice and explanation, OldMan. I like your thinking.

Greebo 11-17-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman45 (Post 388006)
Having to step from the bed to a dresser causes the gun owner to become alert enough to understand what is going on such as the wife tripping over a pair of shoes as she returns from a trip to the bathroom.

Just my opinion and each to his own.

I agree with Oldman....while I don't have anywhere 3 ft from my bed (LOL small room) I do keep mine in a drawer beside me but unloaded, I figure the time it will take me to insert the mag and chamber will be enough in a stressful situation to become fully awake, or at least to identify that it is not an actual threat.

Jay 11-17-2010 11:39 AM

It would be difficult for an intruder to gain access to my home undetected at night. The 80 pound dog could be taken out, but the audible motion sensors will give us plenty of time to wake before any sort of potential target presents itself.

Krazeehorse 11-17-2010 08:10 PM

My XD40SC that I carry lays in the same position, oriented the same way every night next to my alarm clock. I slide a light on the rail when I put it there.

Greebo 11-18-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krazeehorse (Post 388250)
lays in the same position, oriented the same way every night next to my alarm clock.

Sorry I have to disagree with Krazehorse here, creatures of habit we may be, but I have to admit I am a firm believer in Murphy's law, the one day something is forgotten is usually the day it will be needed...that's why I don't train myself with the 'exact same position' mentality - no offence to those that do, but I strongly believe in training to be adaptable to any and all situations - weak arm loading/shooting, single hand shooting, shooting while moving etc....while the gun is kept in the same place each night I don't subscribe to the exact same position and angle school of thinking. I believe any training that focuses on being the exact same and is not adaptable to be more harm the good in most events.