Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Got a PK380, but what is this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Got a PK380, but what is this?

My PK380 came with a separate tool for unlocking the slide, but it also had this plastic tool-looking thing in the box. It's about 2 inches long. Can anyone tell me what it is used for? It says Walther on it. I will attempt to attach a picture of it. Thanks for any responses.

thing1.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Empty Slide Indicator?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Isn't that the take-down key?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I believe it is an empty chamber indicator. The take-down tool is kind of straight (by the way, get an extra take-down tool)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 05-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #5

No sir, the take down key is a separate tool. If this is some kind of indicator, how is it used?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewdog View Post
No sir, the take down key is a separate tool. If this is some kind of indicator, how is it used?
Sorry, it was a guess.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

This lil bugger came with my Sig. I think it's just the widget the factory sticks in the barrel to hold the slide slightly open for safety/whatnot. That's what it was doing when I opened the box. My guess is that a lot of shops pull it out to display the gun or show it to people, then just toss it back in the box
Lock the slide back, stick the round part in the back of the barrel, and release the slide. If it looks like it kinda belongs there, that may be it.

picture-60.jpg  

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have never seen that specific model type before, and usually they are orange or yellow, but if that is what it is, TheDaggle has hit it on the head.

Say you run a gunshop and get a lot of mooks coming in. You know, the guys that want to handle 20 high end weapons and then talk to you about the lowest price you can give them on the cheapest piece of crap you got in the used section.

You start stocking your weapons with these chamber indicators in them so your staff knows to remove them and check the weapon prior to handing them to the grabby hands, and to check the chamber and put it back BEFORE you put it back in the cabinet.

Keeps everyone on the up and up and no one has a cause of the "I wonder if this bullet will fit in there" itis.....

Again, I don't know if that is what yours is specifically, the only ones I have seen are orange or yellow, but isn't Walther's Emblem blue??

JD

Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies guys. It makes sense that it is some kind of indicator used by the sellers and then just thrown into the box. I'll go with that. Love the pistol BTW. My wife can use it easily and has no problem operating the slide mechanism.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #10

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
This lil bugger came with my Sig. I think it's just the widget the factory sticks in the barrel to hold the slide slightly open for safety/whatnot. That's what it was doing when I opened the box. My guess is that a lot of shops pull it out to display the gun or show it to people, then just toss it back in the box
Lock the slide back, stick the round part in the back of the barrel, and release the slide. If it looks like it kinda belongs there, that may be it.
This orange "plug" is to be used when you are at the range. After you shoot at your target you clear your pistol by dropping the mag and locking the slide open. Then you plug this orange device into the chamber. The little tab sticks up so even if you close the slide, the tab is still visible. The range master then walks down the line to ensure every pistol is unloaded and empty before allowing the shooters to check their targets. A piece of orange weed wacker string is a common substitute for this device.