Got a nice surprise in the mail - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Got a nice surprise in the mail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thats why I keep a mental list of "what next"!

Hey the RIAs are good 1911s, and still a great bargain if you buy it right.

I would just put the $ toward a case of ammo for that AR of yours. Not as much fun as buying a gun (its kind of like buying gas, not fun spending the $ but necessary).

Rotsa ruck!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In all my years of working on 1911s, I've only seen 3 that was beyond the point of rebuilding-that's assuming steel frame and decent construction/brand quality to begin with. In fact, worn 1911s will tend to be more reliable than some new 1s-the same tolerances that make them sloppy also make them reliable-think of terms of AK47 to see what I'm talking about. And getting the worn Kimber or something like that would make excellent base for a full custom build later down the road. Just look at how many G.I. 1911s have been built into outstanding customs. I realize this may be a weird analogy but 1911 pistols are like Harley Davidson motorcycles-they can always be fixed/rebuilt and improved all the while holding their value.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #13

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
In all my years of working on 1911s, I've only seen 3 that was beyond the point of rebuilding-that's assuming steel frame and decent construction/brand quality to begin with. In fact, worn 1911s will tend to be more reliable than some new 1s-the same tolerances that make them sloppy also make them reliable-think of terms of AK47 to see what I'm talking about. And getting the worn Kimber or something like that would make excellent base for a full custom build later down the road. Just look at how many G.I. 1911s have been built into outstanding customs. I realize this may be a weird analogy but 1911 pistols are like Harley Davidson motorcycles-they can always be fixed/rebuilt and improved all the while holding their value.
stalkingbear I couldn't agree with you more.
Being the owner of both a well worn 1911 and Harley I wouldn't have it any other way. Oh I have some new and shiny 1911s but Dad's CCH (Concealed Carry Home) service 1911 A1 holds a soft spot in my arsenal. He use to say, "If it rattles, it's ready!" Of course he always followed with "when clean and empty". It's like a 3/4 ton pickup that drives and sounds like junk when empty, when you load it up, it shows what a system engineered product can do! With 7+1 and in condition 1, Dad's 1911 quietly screams I'm ready.
The secret to having an 'old but good' firearm is proper maintenance. When you take care of your weapon, each time you run pm's or clean it you are replacing the wear with a little piece of you.
Here's a process I employ anytime I am shopping for a used (gun or insert anything you are looking for) I first listen to the current owners description of the item. From the start I can tell if they are regretting the sale or can't wait to dump the item. If in person, check how they take care of themselves and how they are dressed and if you can, take a look at their house and car they drive. Don't be nosy, just observe, and let your first (gut) impression establish how this owner has treated the item you're looking to buy. I've passed on some sales using this bias.
Here’s some advice that’s hard to practice but will never let you down; Always buy based on intellect and NEVER on emotion!
cb

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
stalkingbear I couldn't agree with you more.
Being the owner of both a well worn 1911 and Harley I wouldn't have it any other way. Oh I have some new and shiny 1911s but Dad's CCH (Concealed Carry Home) service 1911 A1 holds a soft spot in my arsenal. He use to say, "If it rattles, it's ready!" Of course he always followed with "when clean and empty". It's like a 3/4 ton pickup that drives and sounds like junk when empty, when you load it up, it shows what a system engineered product can do! With 7+1 and in condition 1, Dad's 1911 quietly screams I'm ready.
The secret to having an 'old but good' firearm is proper maintenance. When you take care of your weapon, each time you run pm's or clean it you are replacing the wear with a little piece of you.
Here's a process I employ anytime I am shopping for a used (gun or insert anything you are looking for) I first listen to the current owners description of the item. From the start I can tell if they are regretting the sale or can't wait to dump the item. If in person, check how they take care of themselves and how they are dressed and if you can, take a look at their house and car they drive. Don't be nosy, just observe, and let your first (gut) impression establish how this owner has treated the item you're looking to buy. I've passed on some sales using this bias.
Here’s some advice that’s hard to practice but will never let you down; Always buy based on intellect and NEVER on emotion!
cb
I'm usually dressed in ratty shorts or stained Carhartt parts and death metal t-shirts. I usually have 2 or 3 days worth of scruff going. I hate housework, so I flat out don't do it.

My tools, guns included, are immaculate. I was taught that by my dad, and had it reinforced by the army. If your **** is ****ed up, you might not make it home.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #15

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I'm usually dressed in ratty shorts or stained Carhartt parts and death metal t-shirts. I usually have 2 or 3 days worth of scruff going. I hate housework, so I flat out don't do it.

My tools, guns included, are immaculate. I was taught that by my dad, and had it reinforced by the army. If your **** is ****ed up, you might not make it home.
Listening to you talk would have been my first impression and once impressed your dress would be merely white noise.

"...methinks thou protests too loudly..."

cb

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 01-04-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #16

Guess what I found at my Gun Cellar today? Lots o fine wheel guns for 350-400 dollars...and a nice 1911 mil spec for 650. It's a S&W

I found something called the Ruger GP-100 .357 with a really long barrel forget the length....for I believe 350 used.
My pic came out horrible so I'm not going to post it for this one.

Then a new black with rubber grip Rossi .38 Special

350 bucks....I'm a fan of Wheel guns....the family wouldrather have .357 though since it can also shoot .38....but the Rossi...man something about it I like....seems to be a real simple revolver......

Then a used RedHawk .44 Magnum with wooden funky cool grips that peak my interest.

for 390.

And by far one of my favorite and the only slide gun the family would get

the S&W .45 Mil Spec

I'm probably going to lean toward the wheel gun...the Rossi really looks good to me any info guys?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:34 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

are you sure thats a s&w it looks like the tag says springfeild, which ever it is i like it. actually it is a springfeild, take a look at the grips its got the logo there as clear as a cloudy day lol

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Last edited by sgtdeath66; 01-07-2009 at 02:37 AM.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:41 AM   #18

Sorry yes Springfield. Wasn't thinking at the time. I'm tired. I'm probably aiming towards the Rossie....I really like the look of that gun.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
There are 1911 frames in the USMC inventory that have well over 500,000 rounds on them that are still very serviceable.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:55 AM   #20

I'd snap up the 1911, I've been looking around for a good deal on one so I can restore and upgrade it in my own "kimber carry" style. That's not a bad price for what I assume is a perfectly functional 1911. I have a thing for wheel guns also - the J frame S&W is a nice one, very light and solid as a rock.

‘‘War clouds were gathering rapidly. The sending of more than 3,000 British army regulars under Maj. Gen. Thomas Gage to Boston further exacerbated the imperial rift. When a column of these troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.’’ - The American Revolution Begins