Good women's 9mm? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Good women's 9mm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #31
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Tell her she should not carry in a purse. My opinion as a female.

I like my Sig P238. But I shot this 9mm that belongs to Canebrake and I really liked it. I can't remember what it is. It's the one circled in red. It was a great shooter and a whole lot of fun. Someone will come along who knows what that gun is. It wasn't a compact, though.

Looks like a Browning Hipower.
towboater Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #32

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
Tell her she should not carry in a purse. My opinion as a female.

I like my Sig P238. But I shot this 9mm that belongs to Canebrake and I really liked it. I can't remember what it is. It's the one circled in red. It was a great shooter and a whole lot of fun. Someone will come along who knows what that gun is. It wasn't a compact, though.
Well the only reason she's worries about purse carry is because she's a dental hygienist and scrubs won't support a firearm. So if she wants to have it in the office or be able to take it with her out to lunch, it'll have to be in her purse.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #33

Liked 3232 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ View Post
Well the only reason she's worries about purse carry is because she's a dental hygienist and scrubs won't support a firearm. So if she wants to have it in the office or be able to take it with her out to lunch, it'll have to be in her purse.
Fair enough. I would suggest that she seek out a purse designed specifically around carrying a handgun. If nothing else, the gun specific compartment will prevent the gunking up that sometimes occurs at the bottom of some.
http://www.usgalco.com/Women.asp among others
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ
I would think you have a very isolated case, or perhaps the Millenniums aren't quite as nice as the 24/7's and 1911's. I have a Taurus 1911 and my dad has a .40 24/7 with the 4" barrel and they are both excellent guns. I would take my 1911 over a Kimber any day. I know others who have Taurus guns and they are right along with Glock and other guns (although I know what I just said isn't going to sit well with the Glock cult/following). Personally, if I were in your shoes I'd be demanding to get the gun replaced. Taurus has a lifetime warranty and I've had to use it once and was very pleased with their service.

On a side note to my experience with their customer service...the only reason I had to use it was because their 1911's have that stupid key lock in the hammer, and somehow during shooting the lock twisted itself out and once the hammer dropped one last fatal time, the locked turned the final bit out locking the hammer down, and when the slide tried to cycle back it cracked the hammer. But I sent the gun back to Taurus and rather than just replacing the hammer, they gave me a whole new gun.
Very possible that it was an isolated case. Just sharing my experience (limited as it may be) with the Millennium line. I HAVE heard good things about the 1911 line though, so I don't think the company as a whole is garbage. Just my gun. I hope it's not common with the Millenniums.

The reason I was dissatisfied with their service is as follows: when I originally called to buy a replacement sight, which was approximately 8-9 months ago, she took my card information and told me it might be a couple weeks wait until they get them in stock. No problem, I can wait a few weeks. Six months later, I decide to call Taurus. They told me my card didn't work (despite me using my debit card and having just been paid a few days prior to when I made the call). I assume I either gave her the number incorrectly or she took it down wrong. Either way, no one made any effort to contact me to inform me, over the course of six months, despite having two phone numbers for me on record as well as my email address. So I sat for all that time and had no idea what was going on. Maybe I should have called them sooner, but I was giving them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they were extremely back logged for orders on the sights. Oh, another thing, when I talked to them the second time, she told me the original lady I had talked to had the wrong pistol model on record for me. I had given her the serial number, and you're telling me she couldn't look it up in her records somewhere what model my gun was? In addition to that, I told them the exact model of my gun. She didn't record it properly. And now here we are, 2-3 months after the second phone call, and still no sights. I'm calling later this week and if they have it messed up again I'm just going to cancel and buy some aftermarket sights from midway or something.

Based on my experience, I'd rather not take your advice and demand a replacement gun. God only knows how long it will take.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Unless she is comfortable with racking the slide on any auto, I suggest something like a Smith and Wesson 442. I carry one on occasion and its the easiest to conceal for me.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #36

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
I know many females that prefer the Bersa thunder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
my wife likes her bersa also. she has a thunder 7 rounder.
I really like the Bersa Thunder pistols. My wife wont have it because she has some aversion to small pistols. But they are pretty well built and reliable.

I recently acquired a Sig 938, about the same size as the Thunder 380 and it's a 9mm. Excellent shooter and come with a groovy little laser and night sights (seems redundant don't it?)

I not long ago bought the Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro. It's a great feeling little pistol...Well..Really not all that little. But it will fill the need I bought it for.

OP, Your wife has to be 100% comfortable with the firearm. If she is not she might not inclined use it if a time comes that she might need to. Something to consider when looking for a pistol for her.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:16 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Very possible that it was an isolated case. Just sharing my experience (limited as it may be) with the Millennium line. I HAVE heard good things about the 1911 line though, so I don't think the company as a whole is garbage. Just my gun. I hope it's not common with the Millenniums.

The reason I was dissatisfied with their service is as follows: when I originally called to buy a replacement sight, which was approximately 8-9 months ago, she took my card information and told me it might be a couple weeks wait until they get them in stock. No problem, I can wait a few weeks. Six months later, I decide to call Taurus. They told me my card didn't work (despite me using my debit card and having just been paid a few days prior to when I made the call). I assume I either gave her the number incorrectly or she took it down wrong. Either way, no one made any effort to contact me to inform me, over the course of six months, despite having two phone numbers for me on record as well as my email address. So I sat for all that time and had no idea what was going on. Maybe I should have called them sooner, but I was giving them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they were extremely back logged for orders on the sights. Oh, another thing, when I talked to them the second time, she told me the original lady I had talked to had the wrong pistol model on record for me. I had given her the serial number, and you're telling me she couldn't look it up in her records somewhere what model my gun was? In addition to that, I told them the exact model of my gun. She didn't record it properly. And now here we are, 2-3 months after the second phone call, and still no sights. I'm calling later this week and if they have it messed up again I'm just going to cancel and buy some aftermarket sights from midway or something.

Based on my experience, I'd rather not take your advice and demand a replacement gun. God only knows how long it will take.
What about the ergonomics didn't you like? The reason I ask is because when I saw a picture of the gun, for a good little bit I thought I was looking at a Smith & Wesson M&P. The grip looks almost identical to the M&P and I loved the way the M&P felt.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ
What about the ergonomics didn't you like? The reason I ask is because when I saw a picture of the gun, for a good little bit I thought I was looking at a Smith & Wesson M&P. The grip looks almost identical to the M&P and I loved the way the M&P felt.
It has a much higher bore axis than my M&P. I didn't like that about it. Also, it didn't seem to fit my hand very well, whereas the M&P fits like a glove (forgive the cliche). The grip angle doesn't feel right, the gun is too thin (single stack magazine) for my taste, there are no adjustable back straps, and the slide serrations are not near as good.

Not really ergos, per se, but the trigger is terrible. It has so much take-up, is mushy, breaks almost all the way back to the frame, and the reset is all the way out. My M&P with a stock trigger is nicer in every aspect.

The things I do like about its ergos: it has a little indention for my non shooting hand's thumb on the frame, as well as my shooting hand's thumb below the thumb safety. There is also texturing on the front of the trigger guard for my non shooting hand's index finger (I tend to wrap it around the front of the trigger guard).

Here are some pictures. Bear in mind the M&P is 9mm whereas the Taurus is .40 S&W. The caption applies to the picture below it.

image-2370929199.jpg
Side by side:
image-2237443688.jpg

M&P on top:
image-843372671.jpg

Natural rest of M&P trigger:
image-1659371569.jpg

Reset of M&P trigger:
image-998335243.jpg

Natural rest of Taurus trigger:
image-4252621752.jpg

Breaking point of Taurus trigger:
image-990085982.jpg

Reset of Taurus trigger:
image-3511374241.jpg

Texturing on front of Taurus for index finger:
image-2194467751.jpg

Divet for non shooting thumb:
image-4291981029.jpg

Divet for shooting thumb:
image-961907576.jpg

The break on my M&P is so crisp in comparison that I wasn't able to get an accurate picture of where it happens.

Last edited by JW357; 07-11-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:17 AM   #39

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Have you looked at the Taurus PT709 slim? My ccw is the PT740 slim and I love it.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

It has a much higher bore axis than my M&P. I didn't like that about it. Also, it didn't seem to fit my hand very well, whereas the M&P fits like a glove (forgive the cliche). The grip angle doesn't feel right, the gun is too thin (single stack magazine) for my taste, there are no adjustable back straps, and the slide serrations are not near as good.

Not really ergos, per se, but the trigger is terrible. It has so much take-up, is mushy, breaks almost all the way back to the frame, and the reset is all the way out. My M&P with a stock trigger is nicer in every aspect.

The things I do like about its ergos: it has a little indention for my non shooting hand's thumb on the frame, as well as my shooting hand's thumb below the thumb safety. There is also texturing on the front of the trigger guard for my non shooting hand's index finger (I tend to wrap it around the front of the trigger guard).

Here are some pictures. Bear in mind the M&P is 9mm whereas the Taurus is .40 S&W. The caption applies to the picture below it.

Side by side:

M&P on top:

Natural rest of M&P trigger:

Reset of M&P trigger:

Natural rest of Taurus trigger:

Breaking point of Taurus trigger:

Reset of Taurus trigger:

Texturing on front of Taurus for index finger:

Divet for non shooting thumb:

Divet for shooting thumb:

The break on my M&P is so crisp in comparison that I wasn't able to get an accurate picture of where it happens.
With respect to the trigger reset on the Taurus, it looks like you're experiencing the 2nd strike feature. If you have a FTF, you can pull the trigger again and try and fire the round again. But it is a longer double action motion. I like that feature because every FTF I've ever experienced on a 9MM was light primer strikes. In a self defense or struggle situation, if you have a FTF, you probably don't have a hand free or he luxury to rack the slide and put another round in the chamber. That feature allows you to keep pulling the trigger in case the primer just needs to be hit again. If you were to pull the trigger and hold it back while at the same time rack the slide, THEN let the trigger out until it resets, I think you'll find it's comparable to the M&P. You probably never noticed it while shooting because the bullet is racking the slide for you, and the recoil of the gun made you not pay as much attention to the reset of the trigger. I know that's something I rarely pay attention to while shooting.