Good women's 9mm? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Good women's 9mm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluznar
Beretta PX 4 Compact, or Ruger SR9c or S&W M&P 9c
Also maybe have her look at the Bersa Thunder .380 and the Ruger LC 380
With good defensive ammo a .380 is a good carry gun also. Bersa has a conceal carry .380 which is smaller than the regular Thunder but yet not too small.
Well if she goes the .380 route I've already got a gun that she loves to shoot, I just would rather her carry something with a little more bang.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1855 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 568

I just went through comparing in hand a bunch of small 9mm. I wanted something my small wife could handle. I ended up getting a Shield 9mm. It is definitely not as compact as my Sig P238 or the Sig P938 which was priced at $869. The shield was half that. The XDs 9mm was also very nice but 4 oz heavier than the Shield and over $100 higher. I am still considering the XDs in 45ACP. I have shot a few of the smaller 9's and the recoil on the Shield was not bad and very controllable. Trigger needs some smoothing but I will wait until I have a few 100 more rounds through it to see if it smooths out. Did 50 hardball and 50 xtp with not malfunctions using both mags. If you go with the 380, stick with xtp's or Fiochi. They are showing the best expansion to penetration ratio in gel tests. Most of the 380 HP have too much expansion and not enough penetration.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
I just went through comparing in hand a bunch of small 9mm. I wanted something my small wife could handle. I ended up getting a Shield 9mm. It is definitely not as compact as my Sig P238 or the Sig P938 which was priced at $869. The shield was half that. The XDs 9mm was also very nice but 4 oz heavier than the Shield and over $100 higher. I am still considering the XDs in 45ACP. I have shot a few of the smaller 9's and the recoil on the Shield was not bad and very controllable. Trigger needs some smoothing but I will wait until I have a few 100 more rounds through it to see if it smooths out. Did 50 hardball and 50 xtp with not malfunctions using both mags. If you go with the 380, stick with xtp's or Fiochi. They are showing the best expansion to penetration ratio in gel tests. Most of the 380 HP have too much expansion and not enough penetration.
Your LGS must be very high in price, because when I was looking at the 9mm PPS as an option (high $600 range, almost $700), when the guy there heard what I was getting it for he steered me toward the Sig P938 (even though he didn't know I was already strongly leaning that direction anyways) because it was smaller and about $100 cheaper than the PPS at just below $600. So $869 for a P938, unless it was decked out and one of their special models, sounds way too high.

But if I were to go the slightly larger gun route (sub-compact), what do you guys think about the Taurus Millennium Pro G2's? I have shot and owned several Taurus guns and I absolutely love them, but have never dealt with their Millennium line. Any thoughts? Seems as though it might be comparable to the other alternative sub-compacts out there.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #24

Liked 15 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My wife tried the Kahr, a few SW, and ended up with the Gen4 G-19. Great thing is with a 22lr conversion kit, you can train with the trigger of your carry gun with a fraction of the cost. A little larger than some but it has worked great for her. Lone Wolf Dist is a great outlet for upgrades and the vast majority of the upgrades, trigger, barrel etc, are easily user installed.

Hope it helps,
CK

Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ
Your LGS must be very high in price, because when I was looking at the 9mm PPS as an option (high $600 range, almost $700), when the guy there heard what I was getting it for he steered me toward the Sig P938 (even though he didn't know I was already strongly leaning that direction anyways) because it was smaller and about $100 cheaper than the PPS at just below $600. So $869 for a P938, unless it was decked out and one of their special models, sounds way too high.

But if I were to go the slightly larger gun route (sub-compact), what do you guys think about the Taurus Millennium Pro G2's? I have shot and owned several Taurus guns and I absolutely love them, but have never dealt with their Millennium line. Any thoughts? Seems as though it might be comparable to the other alternative sub-compacts out there.
Ehh I have a Taurus Millennium PT140 (.40 S&W) and honestly im not impressed. The ergos are awful n my hand. Bought the gun new, and first time out the front sight falls off. We reattach it and later on the read sight falls off. I'm still waiting on my rear sight that I ordered to arrive. Taurus customer service was sub-par in my experience with them. Also, now, the magazines eject on every single shot. I've put right around 1k rounds through the gun and honestly it has left me with a bad taste.

Maybe my experiences with it are isolated and I got a lemon. But due to my experience with it I will never recommend a Taurus poly framed gun to anyone. There are better choices for the same money.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 274

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/for-the-men/what-gun-for-a-woman/

A site by a woman for women. It might prove helpful.

Quote:
What Gun for a Woman?

I’ll confess right up front: this question makes me cranky. It makes all sorts of assumptions I’m not willing to stipulate. It assumes that all women are alike, for one thing. There is no one best anything for all women! Anyone who tells you otherwise has no idea what he is talking about, so don’t listen to him. He might know something about guns, but he knows nothing about women.

it continues
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 07-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #27
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7031 Times on 4232 Posts
Likes Given: 8481

Tell her she should not carry in a purse. My opinion as a female.

I like my Sig P238. But I shot this 9mm that belongs to Canebrake and I really liked it. I can't remember what it is. It's the one circled in red. It was a great shooter and a whole lot of fun. Someone will come along who knows what that gun is. It wasn't a compact, though.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Ehh I have a Taurus Millennium PT140 (.40 S&W) and honestly im not impressed. The ergos are awful n my hand. Bought the gun new, and first time out the front sight falls off. We reattach it and later on the read sight falls off. I'm still waiting on my rear sight that I ordered to arrive. Taurus customer service was sub-par in my experience with them. Also, now, the magazines eject on every single shot. I've put right around 1k rounds through the gun and honestly it has left me with a bad taste.

Maybe my experiences with it are isolated and I got a lemon. But due to my experience with it I will never recommend a Taurus poly framed gun to anyone. There are better choices for the same money.
I would think you have a very isolated case, or perhaps the Millenniums aren't quite as nice as the 24/7's and 1911's. I have a Taurus 1911 and my dad has a .40 24/7 with the 4" barrel and they are both excellent guns. I would take my 1911 over a Kimber any day. I know others who have Taurus guns and they are right along with Glock and other guns (although I know what I just said isn't going to sit well with the Glock cult/following). Personally, if I were in your shoes I'd be demanding to get the gun replaced. Taurus has a lifetime warranty and I've had to use it once and was very pleased with their service.

On a side note to my experience with their customer service...the only reason I had to use it was because their 1911's have that stupid key lock in the hammer, and somehow during shooting the lock twisted itself out and once the hammer dropped one last fatal time, the locked turned the final bit out locking the hammer down, and when the slide tried to cycle back it cracked the hammer. But I sent the gun back to Taurus and rather than just replacing the hammer, they gave me a whole new gun.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterken
My wife tried the Kahr, a few SW, and ended up with the Gen4 G-19. Great thing is with a 22lr conversion kit, you can train with the trigger of your carry gun with a fraction of the cost. A little larger than some but it has worked great for her. Lone Wolf Dist is a great outlet for upgrades and the vast majority of the upgrades, trigger, barrel etc, are easily user installed.

Hope it helps,
CK
I'll have to take a look at it the next time I'm at a gun shop that has one, but the last I recall seeing one they seemed way to big for someone her size to try and carry on her person. I don't even like to carry something that big honestly.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #30

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Only sure way for her to get what she needs is to take her with you next time you go out and let her try what ever she feels comfortable with.Then let her get a handful at you're lgs and let her pick.