Good women's 9mm?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Good women's 9mm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

So my fiancé is taking her 2nd amendment right infringement course this August and so until she gets her 2nd amendment right infringement permission slip back (usually takes about 90 days), I'm trying to figure out a 9mm that she would like. It's probably mostly going to be purse carried, however I'd like to find something she could conceal on her clothes fairly well in case I can ever get her into carrying on her. If also like something that's fairly easy to manage on recoil. I've got a .40 cal Walther PPS and thought about getting her the 9mm version of it, but a guy at the local gun shop told me if I were gonna do that I'd be better off going with the Sig P938. A buddy of mind has one and after holding it, it's incredibly small yet it feels awesome in the hands. With the grip extension mag my hands can easily and comfortably fit entirely on the grip. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Also if you have any suggestions for very thin holster alternatives like a crossbreed. But bear in mind, she's 5'4" and only 110lbs so we're not exactly looking for like a massive XD9. Preferably something single stack and very small, but at the same time easy to manage on recoil.

Last edited by ClemsonSCJ; 07-09-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #2

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If price is a consideration, the SAR line imported by EAA seam to be decent qualiity firearms.

If size is your concern, small pocket pistols like the Ruger LC9 or S&W Sheild might be the way to go in the sub compact area. Glock, Sprinfield, and S&W make mid-sized guns. Larger full sized guns include brands like Sig, Beretta, And Glock.

I find trying to research out handguns for someone else is a lot easier if you take them to a gun store that has a wide selection they can handle to see what they like. Some people will tell you that since she is a womon to go with a smaller gun. That doesn't work in my house, my little bitty wife would ask me "What the hell am I supost to do with that little thing?" She has a full size Beretta 96 and CZ Tactical Sport. The general rule is don't buy your wife either handguns or clothes without some level of input from her.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

Last edited by PappaJim; 07-09-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Fat fingers and small keys cause Mis-spelled words.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

After a fair amount of research, I got the Kahr pm9 for my wife and she loved it. Although her carry permit is still in process, already has 3 carry options you may want to check out. You may want to take a look at th Flashbang holster, the remora holster and any crossbreed like option. All of them seem to work for her on different settings. Next one she will be getting a good quality thigh holster (as soon as we find one). Purse carry... I don't know about that. Maybe is better than not carrynig at all but at least for my wife, risk does not outweight benefits. What I mean is that my wife is kind of distracted and she has already left the purse, for example at a store and did not remember where she left it, so for her, purse carry i think is a very bad idea. In her defense, she has to deal with a 2 year old, a 1y/o and a 15 y/o girls, most of the time by herself while I'm at work.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

why not let her pick it out??

it will be her gun it should be one she likes. purse carry isnt generally a good idea even though it allows for carry of a bigger firearm. its also one of the first things to be forgotten about or taken in a struggle.

i would suggest going to a gun show or visiting various gun stores and letting her handle a bunch of different guns in varying caliber and if there is a rental range near you take advantage of it by letting her shoot various models.

one other thing. there is no such thing as a "woman's" gun. guns marketed to women are often waaaay undersized for the caliber, painful to shoot due to that, and extremely difficult to hit anything with due tot he small size.

the smaller the gun the more recoil there is and the more difficult it is to hit anything. a new person to handguns should lean towards longer barrels and generally full size grips or grips that fit the hand.

i dont think this woman is using a woman's gun

a much smaller woman doing it well

its not about body size but training. taking a course that teaches proper pistol shooting technique is very important.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-09-2013 at 02:12 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elglockeroloko30
After a fair amount of research, I got the Kahr pm9 for my wife and she loved it. Although her carry permit is still in process, already has 3 carry options you may want to check out. You may want to take a look at th Flashbang holster, the remora holster and any crossbreed like option. All of them seem to work for her on different settings. Next one she will be getting a good quality thigh holster (as soon as we find one). Purse carry... I don't know about that. Maybe is better than not carrynig at all but at least for my wife, risk does not outweight benefits. What I mean is that my wife is kind of distracted and she has already left the purse, for example at a store and did not remember where she left it, so for her, purse carry i think is a very bad idea. In her defense, she has to deal with a 2 year old, a 1y/o and a 15 y/o girls, most of the time by herself while I'm at work.
I agree about the purse carry, however until I can talk her into carrying on her, it's better than no carry at all.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
why not let her pick it out??

it will be her gun it should be one she likes. purse carry isnt generally a good idea even though it allows for carry of a bigger firearm. its also one of the first things to be forgotten about or taken in a struggle.

i would suggest going to a gun show or visiting various gun stores and letting her handle a bunch of different guns in varying caliber and if there is a rental range near you take advantage of it by letting her shoot various models.

one other thing. there is no such thing as a "woman's" gun. guns marketed to women are often waaaay undersized for the caliber, painful to shoot due to that, and extremely difficult to hit anything with due tot he small size.

the smaller the gun the more recoil there is and the more difficult it is to hit anything. a new person to handguns should lean towards longer barrels and generally full size grips or grips that fit the hand.

i dont think this woman is using a woman's gun

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG3w9TKBvAA
Well one reason is because she's kinds reluctant to get anything. I'm the one having to push the CWP class. I try and tell her all the time, "call me selfish, but I don't want to the be guy who's gotta send his wife to rape counseling, or worse, attend her funeral over something that could have been prevented with a little self defense.

I know purse carry isn't the best, but it's better than nothing. And I saw a video by Massad Ayoob where he said that if women are going to carry in their purse, then if they can train themselves to walk through parking lots and stuff with their hand on the gun, then usually that works out ok.

And while I agree about the larger guns for accuracy, they don't make good concealable guns. We aren't an open carry state. I have a PPS and I have a hard time keeping it from printing and she's way smaller than I am. She doesn't want a huge square block looking thing sticking out of her side under her shirt. She's shot a Sig P238 and liked it, but I would prefer her carry a 9mm or something with a little more knock-down.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ View Post
Well one reason is because she's kinds reluctant to get anything. I'm the one having to push the CWP class. I try and tell her all the time, "call me selfish, but I don't want to the be guy who's gotta send his wife to rape counseling, or worse, attend her funeral over something that could have been prevented with a little self defense.

I know purse carry isn't the best, but it's better than nothing. And I saw a video by Massad Ayoob where he said that if women are going to carry in their purse, then if they can train themselves to walk through parking lots and stuff with their hand on the gun, then usually that works out ok.

And while I agree about the larger guns for accuracy, they don't make good concealable guns. We aren't an open carry state. I have a PPS and I have a hard time keeping it from printing and she's way smaller than I am. She doesn't want a huge square block looking thing sticking out of her side under her shirt. She's shot a Sig P238 and liked it, but I would prefer her carry a 9mm or something with a little more knock-down.
thing is forcing someone to do something they dont want to do is seldom a good idea and will just build resentment later for the the activity and for you.

the great wall of china wasnt built in a day and neither is converting folks that dont grow up with firearms to your pov...

i would suggest doing fun activities with guns like plinking with a 22 or skeet shooting with low recoil shells in a 20ga or something fun and dont drag it out for a long period of time. go out for about 30-40 minutes or until she shows signs of tiring of it then go out for a nice dinner somewhere to cap it off.

i got my wife into guns and shooting regularly by making a date nite type thing of a gunshow and dinner somewhere nice or a range trip and dinner or combining the gun event with something she wanted to do afterwards. end on a pleasent not dont push it and all of a sudden you will have someone with you that loves guns as much as you do.

the main goal is overcoming that media bias and allowing the other person to see firearms as the recreation tool they can be. key is not forcing it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Weight of the firearm.
The woman's training (on firearms and situation awareness).
The mindset of the woman (can she take a life is needed?).
The availability of appropriate ammunition.
Aftermarket parts for the firearm (holster, extra magazines, repairs / upgrades).

All of this has to be taken in consideration.

Shop with her. Stop any BS the clerk may push on her.

And don't let the color of the firearm be the deciding factor. (Oooh, this pink one is cute.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 07-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Default Choice?

I know a few women (wife included) who are well pleased with a Beretta Px4 Storm Compact or Sub-compact.

BOTH have external safeties - a consideration that affects your comfort level with any weapon.

Last edited by johnr1943; 07-09-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added info about safeties

Old 07-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonSCJ
So my fiancé is taking her 2nd amendment right infringement course this August and so until she gets her 2nd amendment right infringement permission slip back (usually takes about 90 days), I'm trying to figure out a 9mm that she would like. It's probably mostly going to be purse carried, however I'd like to find something she could conceal on her clothes fairly well in case I can ever get her into carrying on her. If also like something that's fairly easy to manage on recoil. I've got a .40 cal Walther PPS and thought about getting her the 9mm version of it, but a guy at the local gun shop told me if I were gonna do that I'd be better off going with the Sig P938. A buddy of mind has one and after holding it, it's incredibly small yet it feels awesome in the hands. With the grip extension mag my hands can easily and comfortably fit entirely on the grip. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Also if you have any suggestions for very thin holster alternatives like a crossbreed. But bear in mind, she's 5'4" and only 110lbs so we're not exactly looking for like a massive XD9. Preferably something single stack and very small, but at the same time easy to manage on recoil.
Everyone is giving great advice. You would be remiss if you don't listen to everything which has been said.

That being said, my wife loves her S&W M&P9. I have the compact version. The ergonomics just feel right. But my wife picked out her gun before I picked to mine. She picked it up, after having shot and held many, and instantly fell in love.

That, my friend, is the reaction you're looking for.

Always have clean socks.