Good pistol for beginners? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Good pistol for beginners?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

You should start with a 22lr. The recoil is enough to get you used to controling a pistol, yet not so much that you can't control it.

I myself don't like shooting 9mm or 40smith I prefer my own loads in my 45acp for plinking. They are soft recoiling and easy on the wrist.

For me I always start new shooters out on a 22lr. You learn the basics on it and you can shoot all you want for dirt cheap.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #12

A 38 Special or even a 44 Special are both good guns to start with to get accustomed to some recoil. A 22 is too easy ! With a 38 Special and it's bigger brother the 44 Special there is some recoil, but it's pleasant and won't have you trembling after your first shot. Yes the 44 is bigger but it's not the Magnum round. The recoil of a 44 Special is not much different than a 38 Special.
Even 38 Special + P rounds are easy on the hand and wrist. The 38 will be better however because ammo is cheaper, about 10-15 dollars a box for standard 158 grain round nose or full metal jackets. Shoot with the 158's because all of the defensive ammo that is made is superior in this weight when compared to others like the 125 grain or 110 grn. Also beings the round itself is a slow velocity round in the 700's and 800's {+ P's are in the 900's}, you want a heavier bullet because it will be a better stopper. Why they don't have 38+ P's at 1000 or 1050 FPS yet beats me ? Once you get used to a 38 Special, you can then move up to 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP. If you feel brave afterwords and think you can handle it a 357 Magnum, 10mm, or even a 44 Magnum may be in the works. Choose wisely ! Good Luck !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 10-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #13

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomFighter69 View Post
The 38 will be better however because ammo is cheaper, about 10-15 dollars a box
Make sure to tell us where you're getting .38 Special at $10 a box. The best deal I found recently was 13.50 plus shipping.

I'll agree with Tango that a .22 is a great pistol to learn the fundamentals of handgun shooting...

Old 10-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #14

Reloads and generic Wadcutter ammo can be had for $10.50. I just used a ballpark figure for price. I know all ammo is up these days and I sold my 38's 10 years ago. I personally don't like reloads or wadcutters ! I'd spend the $13.50 for lead round nose however. Better than $18.00 for FMJ 40's {$29.00 for HST} or $21.00 for FMJ 45 ACP {$39.00 for HST} ! I agree with you though it's terrible how expensive ammo and firearms have become. I remember back in 1990, I was getting UMC 38 Special for $8.50, Remington Green box for $10.50, Green box 357's for $ 14.50 ! Ahh, those were the days !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 10-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2264 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start out with a .22, and work up....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
You must have this post permanently embedded in your clipboard.

Nosehair... If there is one thing pretty much every gunner agrees upon, it's everyone needs a .22. That said, Beretta makes great guns. I haven't found a Beretta that I really like, but that's all do to the way the gun feels in my hands. If you stick with the major manufacturers, you're going to wind up with a great gun in all likelihood. It all depends on how the gun feels to you and what you want the gun to do.

For myself, I love the way a Springfield feels in my hands. Other people hate em. Glocks make some of the most successful designs in the world... to me, they feel like bricks.

And no... a .45 will not jump out of your hands.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 10-06-2010 at 04:38 PM.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #16

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I`d go for a standard calibler pistol, like the CZ75 or a Sig P226 in 9mm and an additional .22 caliber conversion kit.

That will save you money and give you the possabillity to practice with cheap .22`s but keeping your grip and trigger as onb the 9mm.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #17
Jay

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
You must have this post permanently embedded in your clipboard.
Well, it's on a notepad document that I've saved so I can copy and paste it. Most folks agree with it, and as often as the relevant questions continue to arise, I've been answering them with it. I certainly don't want to generate any agitation, I'll just leave it stowed away for a while.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2264 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Well, it's on a notepad document that I've saved so I can copy and paste it. Most folks agree with it, and as often as the relevant questions continue to arise, I've been answering them with it. I certainly don't want to generate any agitation, I'll just leave it stowed away for a while.
No agitation here, makes perfect sense to me. But I think I'm getting close to quoting it word for word.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #19
Jay

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Ok, If anyone gets tired of seeing it, I'll retire it........

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 10-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Don't do that!!!

It's a great idea and we should all do it!!

We'll all have the same quote when we see this thread made by a new poster, then just copy it here, brilliant!!