Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Good pistol for beginners?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good pistol for beginners?

Hello Firearms talk, my father is taking me to the shooting range at the end of October, and I need a few tips on what pistol I should start with. Nothing 45 ACP because I fear that the gun will fly right out of my hands during operation. How about the Beretta PX4 Storm, is it any good?
Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start out with a .22, and work up....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 10-05-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:48 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Get a big ole heavy 6" barrel .357 revolver and shoot .38 specials out of it or a .22 cal semi auto loader. Both are a good place to start. The revolver will be less complicated and a fine firearm to start out on. I've introduced many new shooters to the sport using a revolver.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Learn on a 22. less recoil and it will teach you the basics. As for 45ACP it is not that bad of a round. Most 45 are heavy and handles recoil great not like my 38spl Airweight.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 10-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2644 Times on 1541 Posts
Likes Given: 1173

I agree with the .22lr as a first beginner handgun.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #6

My first answer is that Jay offered the best answer above. Rather than to take up three paragraphs just repeating the same answer I'll say re-read Jay's answer. It is good advice.

I also like the suggestions given about getting a revolver to learn the ropes. They are very basic, easy to operate and generally pretty solid guns. Some have said start with a .22 others have said a .38 Special. Both are right and both are wrong which means no one person is right or wrong so again refer to Jay's advice.

A .22 is a great gun to learn on for sure. It is easy to shoot, generally accurate, has very little recoil to startle a new shooter and the ammo is so cheap your fingers will get sore before you run low on ammo money. If you invest in a high quality .22 revolver and take care of it you will pass it down for several generations. The very first gun my son shot was my S&W .22 revolver when he was about 10. He is now a crack shot with about any pistol you can put in his hand. He hunts with his handguns a lot and has fed me quite a bit of his take. All three of my grand children shot that very same .22 as their first handgun when they were about the same age or younger. It is a simple gun to shoot and teaches the basics well. The first thing I taught my son and grand children was safety and also how to clean, care for and properly store the gun. These lessons were taught before they ever handled the gun loaded because I want that same .22 S&W to be around for my grand children to teach their kids to shoot and if properly cared for it will be. A .22 is a great caliber to learn on. The only down side is you will out grow it as a defense gun. If you plan on getting more guns in the future, which 99% of gun owners do even if they say they won't. Get a .22 to start for sure. There will be plenty of time to buy a hand cannon once you have learned gun safety, basic skills and know what to expect when you pull the trigger.

A .38 Special is also a pretty easy gun to shoot as well and a good one to learn on. If you do decide with a .38 Special I will suggest a .357 Magnum and treat it as a .38 Special for the first six months you own it. The reason I say a .357 is it will shoot .38's and .357's so it is almost like getting two guns in one. As your skill, safety and confidence builds you can move up to shooting .357's out of it. A .38 Special was the gun of choice for several decades of Police Officers all over the world. Ammo is easy to find and won't break the bank. A .38 Special is more than enough power if you ever do need to use your gun to defend yourself and if you get a .357 Magnum that round will stop a bear never mind a gold toothed hood trying to harm you or someone you love.

I could carry on for pages describing the good qualities of a .22 and a .38-.357 Magnum but I think you get my points. Different shooters require different guns for different situations and different body styles so again I will repeat, take Jay's advice above.

The most important piece of advice I, or anyone can give you is SAFETY FIRST. There is no such thing as a small gun accident and there is no way to take a bullet back once someone is dead.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Nosehair,

I'm not 100% clear on your question. You didn't actually state in your OP that you are planning to purchase a gun. Are you asking about a gun to purchase, or are you asking which of your father's guns to try first?

If you're going to purchase, none of us can even pretend to offer advice without any idea of what you want the gun to accomplish, your budget, your size, etc. But the advice given so far is sound — put a bunch in your hand and see which fits. If you're getting started, a .22 is a great beginning. You can learn all the basics with it, it's relatively inexpensive to buy, and ammo is really cheap!

If your father is bringing guns to the range for you to try, start with a .22 to learn the basics. Then move on to bigger guns as you feel comfortable. BTW, a .45 isn't going to fly out of your grip unless you have really weak hands. I'm not saying you should start with one, but there's no reason to be intimidated.

And don't think we're all recommending a .22 because you're new or we think you don't know what you're doing. I personally have several .22s, and one of them goes on every trip to the range. The ammo is cheap, and that means I get a lot more trigger time for my budget.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

A tip of the hat to you , sir. Many thanks.

Gettin' old has it's perks, and experience is one of 'em....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 10-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

My best piece of advice;

DO NOT be intimidated with the recoil of a firearm you have yet to shoot!

nuff said!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosehair26 View Post
Hello Firearms talk, my father is taking me to the shooting range at the end of October, and I need a few tips on what pistol I should start with. Nothing 45 ACP because I fear that the gun will fly right out of my hands during operation. How about the Beretta PX4 Storm, is it any good?
Thanks.
THe recoil from a high pressure load like a 9mm or .40S&W is more snappy then the lower pressure 45 ACP. A 45 is more of a push than anything. And unless you are using some really tacticool cat daddy loads made in Dale Gribble's basement you shouldn't have any trouble with it.
My daughter at 13 years old and weighing as much as a half empty laundry hamper was shooting one with ease.

But by all means start out smaller if that's your preference. There are tons of quality 9mm's out there. Find one that fits your hand and not something that you think looks cool. It will do wonders for your groups.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson