Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Good or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Good or not?

I'm looking at the Kal-Tec 9's are they prety good guns, just wondering since they are so much less than others?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The Kel-Tec is a decent self-defense gun but many require some tweaking (called a fluff & buff) to run well. They aren't target guns by any stretch of the imagination but they can put bullets downrange. They must do something right as Ruger seems to copy them a lot...

Old 01-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Ive got a P11 9mm. It hasn't given me any trouble and shoots reasonably accurately. I can make combat accurate shots past 30 feet, good enough for self-defense. It also carries well in a pocket holster.

My larger 9mm's are easier to shoot, I have a P89 Ruger and a XDM, and they are naturally easier to get a two handed grip on and control the recoil for subsequent shots.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love All my Kel-Tec guns they make a flush fit 12 rd mag for that P-11 too, but my guess is the reason they cost less has to be somewhere between injection molding & Kel-Tec Corp.s lack of tremendous greed, as even the many Kel-Tec copies out there generally retail for more money that The Original Kel-Tec's do!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #5

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly45 View Post
I'm looking at the Kal-Tec 9's are they pretty good guns, just wondering since they are so much less than others?
Just out of curiosity, which model were you looking at in particular?

I have a P-11 and I love it! Originally I was planning on buying the PF-9, until I actually found one at a local gun store and realized how unnatural of a fit the grip is for me. On the other hand, the P-11 fit my hand perfectly.

Kel-Tec products also come with a no questions asked lifetime warranty as well! If its broken, you can either explain the problem and they can ship you the parts they suspect may need replaced and you can repair it, or you can pay to ship it to them and wait 3 weeks or so for them to ship it back (free of charge).

No matter how you look at it, Kel-Tec makes a great series of guns. If your really interested in these guns, make sure to check out KTOG.org. Its a great resource for all KT owners with many many how-to type articles.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 01-15-2011, 04:13 AM   #6

They are economical, built for function .....not to win a beauty contest !

Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Kel-Tec basically makes two kinds of guns: Budget carry pistols, and budget tactical rifles. I have a Sub2000 rifle and am considering picking up a PF9.

They look kinda cheap and take some breaking in. While they're not "high performance" firearms, they are pretty high on function. Relative to where they fit into the market price-wise, most will agree that Kel-Tec makes really solid products. I've heard they also have excellent customer service.

If you buy a Kel-Tec as your go-to, do-it-all pistol, you will be disappointed. They're not made for that. They're made specifically for concealed carry, where they make for a functional, affordable option.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I carry a PF9 on a daily basis. Have never had any problems with it at the range. Have shot several hundred rounds through it now.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leathermarshmallow View Post
I carry a PF9 on a daily basis. Have never had any problems with it at the range. Have shot several hundred rounds through it now.
I think the point sweeper22 was making is that most Kel-Tecs are not shot that much. You have shot several hundred rounds through yours in it's lifetime - I often shoot that many rounds in a single range trip through one of my guns. They are fine for what they're designed for - carry a lot, shoot some...

Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Every Kel-Tec that I have touched has the worst trigger pull I have ever felt. Followed closely by any Ruger. Sorry, I'm opinionated.