Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Good or not? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/good-not-36890/)

curly45 01-14-2011 03:55 PM

Good or not?

I'm looking at the Kal-Tec 9's are they prety good guns, just wondering since they are so much less than others?

NGIB 01-14-2011 04:52 PM

The Kel-Tec is a decent self-defense gun but many require some tweaking (called a fluff & buff) to run well. They aren't target guns by any stretch of the imagination but they can put bullets downrange. They must do something right as Ruger seems to copy them a lot...

fireguy 01-14-2011 08:13 PM

Ive got a P11 9mm. It hasn't given me any trouble and shoots reasonably accurately. I can make combat accurate shots past 30 feet, good enough for self-defense. It also carries well in a pocket holster.

My larger 9mm's are easier to shoot, I have a P89 Ruger and a XDM, and they are naturally easier to get a two handed grip on and control the recoil for subsequent shots.

billdeserthills 01-14-2011 08:48 PM

I love All my Kel-Tec guns they make a flush fit 12 rd mag for that P-11 too, but my guess is the reason they cost less has to be somewhere between injection molding & Kel-Tec Corp.s lack of tremendous greed, as even the many Kel-Tec copies out there generally retail for more money that The Original Kel-Tec's do!

BigByrd47119 01-14-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curly45 (Post 422062)
I'm looking at the Kal-Tec 9's are they pretty good guns, just wondering since they are so much less than others?

Just out of curiosity, which model were you looking at in particular?

I have a P-11 and I love it! Originally I was planning on buying the PF-9, until I actually found one at a local gun store and realized how unnatural of a fit the grip is for me. On the other hand, the P-11 fit my hand perfectly.

Kel-Tec products also come with a no questions asked lifetime warranty as well! If its broken, you can either explain the problem and they can ship you the parts they suspect may need replaced and you can repair it, or you can pay to ship it to them and wait 3 weeks or so for them to ship it back (free of charge).

No matter how you look at it, Kel-Tec makes a great series of guns. If your really interested in these guns, make sure to check out KTOG.org. Its a great resource for all KT owners with many many how-to type articles.

Dgunsmith 01-15-2011 04:13 AM

They are economical, built for function .....not to win a beauty contest !

sweeper22 01-15-2011 06:09 AM

Kel-Tec basically makes two kinds of guns: Budget carry pistols, and budget tactical rifles. I have a Sub2000 rifle and am considering picking up a PF9.

They look kinda cheap and take some breaking in. While they're not "high performance" firearms, they are pretty high on function. Relative to where they fit into the market price-wise, most will agree that Kel-Tec makes really solid products. I've heard they also have excellent customer service.

If you buy a Kel-Tec as your go-to, do-it-all pistol, you will be disappointed. They're not made for that. They're made specifically for concealed carry, where they make for a functional, affordable option.

Leathermarshmallow 01-18-2011 09:46 PM

I carry a PF9 on a daily basis. Have never had any problems with it at the range. Have shot several hundred rounds through it now.

NGIB 01-18-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leathermarshmallow (Post 424740)
I carry a PF9 on a daily basis. Have never had any problems with it at the range. Have shot several hundred rounds through it now.

I think the point sweeper22 was making is that most Kel-Tecs are not shot that much. You have shot several hundred rounds through yours in it's lifetime - I often shoot that many rounds in a single range trip through one of my guns. They are fine for what they're designed for - carry a lot, shoot some...

Squirrel_Slayer 01-18-2011 10:15 PM

Every Kel-Tec that I have touched has the worst trigger pull I have ever felt. Followed closely by any Ruger. Sorry, I'm opinionated.