Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Good gun for new gun owner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good gun for new gun owner?

I'm about to be a first time gun owner. I just received my CFP (Chicago Firearms Permit), and was wondering if there is recommended "beginner" pistol. I have fired a wide variety of guns plenty of times, and have an NRA Novice certification so I'm familiar with function and safety. I've been looking at the Beretta PX4 Storm as it seems like a nice light high quality gun, but the guy at the local gun store seemed to have a negative opinion. I'm looking to stick with a 9mm though I'm not married to the idea, and I have a price point around $500.00.

As far as the 9mm I've tried - Glock 19 (had ejection issues a couple times), Glock 17 (seemed a bit jumpy for me), Beretta - not the PX4 (was a little heavy but fired okay), and a Ruger - not sure which model (nice and light, and fired well).

I'm a good size guy and can handle a bigger weapon, but I would like the thoughts of those more familiar than I. Any suggestions/advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I like my full-sized CZ75b, but it isn't a liteweight, steel framed. My buddy has an XD9 that is a great shooter and not too heavy (polymer framed) and doesn't seem like it would be hard to conceal. I've never had a jam on either pistol. I can't think of any negatives i've heard on the PX4, but i haven't shot one. Another friend has a Ruger Pseries (P95 i think) in 9mm and loves it; my brother in law has one as a truck gun, but i'm not sure of his experiences with it. I would bet the Ruger Pseries would be the least expensive.

Was the CFP as big of a hassle as people make it out to be?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 07-27-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 452

I have yet to hear anything bad about the storm.
For the money its hard to beat a S&W sigma ( under 350.00 ) The 9mm holds 16 rounds and the .40 holds 14. so with the 9 you will be getting two more rounds, comes with two magazines.
The first thing bad some one will say about it is the trigger has a hard pull, ( but its the only thing), but me I kinda like a hard trigger on a striker fired gun with no manual safty, and I got used to it very quickly.

But you can't go wrong with a ruger, beretta, springfield either. Shoot whatever you feel comfortable with.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 07-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

At the risk of becoming a shill for the XD(M), I feel good about recommending it in this case.

You're experiences seem similar to mine. I felt that the G17 was too light for its own good and didn't feel great in hand. I really liked the accuracy and perceived recoil associated with the 92FS and I really liked the PX4 (but didnt' shoot it as accurately.)

I ended up with the SA XD(M) 9 (4.5") and feel that it bridges the gap between the ubiquitous GLOCKs and the all-metal guns. It is heavier than the G17 (good), but lighter than the all-metal guns. And depending on your hand's it's one of the most comfortable guns to hold and it aims extremely naturally.

Just my $0.03

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 07-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's all about what feels best in your hands. A handgun is an extension of your arm. You should be able to take aim naturally just as you would point at something with your finger. The grip has to fit your hand. Once you find this perfect mate, shoot it a lot to hone your skills. I would recommend starting with a rimfire pistol before going centerfire. Ammo is expensive and you'll get more mileage out of a .22LR. I love my Browning Buck Mark Camper and shoot it the most.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1126 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 647

okay is it going to be mainly CC or target or both? no matter what you pick. pick one that feels right in your hands. i have an xd .40 and a ruger sr9c.. i love em both because of the fact they fit my grip well. and to be honest the recoil difference is barely noticable. i actually think my sr9c kicks just a tad more. but the sr9c is little smaller and easier to cc. A browning .22 is a good idea if you want to target shoot and practice a lot.. and all three should be within your price range

Last edited by jjfuller1; 07-27-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I recommend you go to some local gunshops and see which one(s) feel the best to you, and if there are local gun ranges that have rental programs, try there too.

Some of the 9mm firearms I recommend; Glock 19, Glock 26, Springfield XD(m), Ruger SR9, and Ruger SR9c.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #8

Walther P99 or P99c they have them at cdnn for $450 with 2 mags.
Great shooting reliable pistols.

Genitron.com: Comparing 3 Guns|PX4 Storm|P99c QA|P99 QA|

Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #9

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll take a look at some of these other guns.

To answer the questions posted . . . this will be for target shooting. I live in Chicago , and there is no CC here (FYI - IL will NOT honor out of state CC licenses).

Getting my CFP wasn't too bad, but it was expensive - $120 for the class, and $100 to register with the city. The class (held outside city limits) was about 5 hours followed by an easy quiz and shooting test (hit 26 of 50 rounds). The biggest pain was getting down to the south side between 8am and 12pm sometime M-F to register with the city. Basically they make it pain in the ass to get the permit. Though as I mentioned before I did learn that IL will NOT honor CC licenses from any state. Many people will argue that they've been told that IL will honor CC form their state, but this is NOT true. This was triple checked and confirmed by my girlfriend's sister from TX. Any officer in IL will arrest you for not properly storing your weapon for transport. That's my public service announcement for today.

Thanks again.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessNumberheadman View Post
...Beretta PX4 Storm as it seems like a nice light high quality gun,...

I'm a good size guy and can handle a bigger weapon, but I would like the thoughts of those more familiar than I. Any suggestions/advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
Light is great for carry, but usually, heavier guns dampen recoil better and that is why I prefer all steel pistols now. I would recommend a CZ 75 as well as Browning Hi Power, Sig 210, 226, or 239 but they are all over your budget.

Have you considered used? You can get used CZ 75 or S&W 5906 for just over $300.00

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

CZ75 Czech Model 75 9mm Handgun includes (1) 15 round magazine $329.00 FREE S/H

This is a Surplus (USED) CZ 75 DOUBLE ACTION semi automatic handgun (9mm)
Price includes shipping via USPS only. We can ship UPS or Fed Ex NEXT DAY AIR but you will be responsible for paying the shipping if you choose either of these options.
These pistols do show some wear (see images) around the edges that will not affect the performance, they come with one 15 round high cap magazine. Overall condition is Good. Strong rifling in the bores.
CZ-75 is a short recoil operated, locked breech pistol. It uses a fairy standard Browning locking system, with cam-shaped cut below the barrel, which lowers the barrel on recoil stroke. Barrel locks into slide with two locking lugs, located just ahead of the ejection port. The slide rides on the internal rails, machined on inside of the frame. This system, originated by the Swiss SIG P210 pistol, provides more smooth cycle and better tolerances, resulting in greater accuracy. In basic models, the double action trigger system with exposed hammer has a frame mounted manual safety, which allows for "cocked and locked" carry.

==============================================

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

CZ75-2 Surplus Czech Model 75 9mm handgun w/ 1 (15rnd mag) $329.00 FREE S/H

This is a Surplus (USED) CZ 75 SA/DA semi automatic handgun (9mm)
This Model Does Accept the newer Mec-Gar Magazines
Price includes shipping .
These pistols do show some wear (see images) around the edges that will not affect the performance, they come with one 15 round high cap magazine. Overall condition is Good. Strong rifling in the bores. Baked Finish.
CZ-75 is a short recoil operated, locked breech pistol. It uses a fairy standard Browning locking system, with cam-shaped cut below the barrel, which lowers the barrel on recoil stroke. Barrel locks into slide with two locking lugs, located just ahead of the ejection port. The slide rides on the internal rails, machined on inside of the frame. This system, originated by the Swiss SIG P210 pistol, provides more smooth cycle and better tolerances, resulting in greater accuracy. In basic models, the double action trigger system with exposed hammer has a frame mounted manual safety, which allows for "cocked and locked" carry.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)