Good Full Sized 9mm - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Good Full Sized 9mm

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commocarl View Post
Hey guys.
I really don't want to start an argument amongst all of you. I promise.
I have been looking to buy a handgun for quite some time. A handgun is alot more personal decision than a rifile. There are lots more things to consider and if it just "feels right" in your hands.

It will be for home protection and target shooting to get more familiar with it. I have narrowed it down to a 9mm. My reasons are, I don't want a cannon that only I can handle. I don't really want the round to leave the room. 9mm ammo is cheaper that .40 S&W.

Quote:
I am familiar with the 1911, I was in the navy for 8 years, so I would like something with similar action, controls, and multiple safetys. I don't want anything flashy, crome and nickle plating are out.
I just want a good serviceable handgun that is easy to do my own maintenance and repairs.

Money is not too much of a concern, If it will last me many years, but I am not a guy that has to have the most expensive anything, I drive a Ford pickup, if that says anything.

I am a 6' man and don't really like the small conceal carry guns. The short barrel, the tiny grip that I can cramp 3 fingers in is really not for me.

On my rifles I'm old school, wood and steel, I am not carrying these prejudices to a handgun. As you guys have probably handled more different kinds pistols than I ever will, I thought I would ask you.

I know all handguns have a following and really would rather this be a friendly conversation. I will not announce my decision in this thread because of this.

Thanks everyone
RIA 9mm Tactical

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #22

Liked 2607 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

IMHO, almost any full-size brand name 9mm is going to work well.

That said, I really like my Beretta 92A1...

Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #23
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2385 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 858

Quote:
A handgun is alot more personal decision than a rifile. There are lots more things to consider and if it just "feels right" in your hands.
Not particularly. If you are buying a handgun from any of the reputable manufacturers then I'd say 80% of the decision is how it feels to you.

That said, I'd make sure I put my hands on the following:

Smith & Wesson M&P
Springfield XDM
CZ 75
Browning Hi-Power
Ruger SR9
And a 1911 in 9mm.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Commocarl, you're not being fair by not telling us what you picked. It's your decision and your gun so we're not going to hold it against you.

Truth be told, there's too many fine pistols out there so you have to pick the one that speaks to you.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #25

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Hey guys.
I really don't want to start an argument amongst all of you. I promise.
I have been looking to buy a handgun for quite some time. A handgun is alot more personal decision than a rifile. There are lots more things to consider and if it just "feels right" in your hands.

It will be for home protection and target shooting to get more familiar with it. I have narrowed it down to a 9mm. My reasons are, I don't want a cannon that only I can handle. I don't really want the round to leave the room. 9mm ammo is cheaper that .40 S&W.

I am familiar with the 1911, I was in the navy for 8 years, so I would like something with similar action, controls, and multiple safetys. I don't want anything flashy, crome and nickle plating are out. I just want a good serviceable handgun that is easy to do my own maintenance and repairs.

Money is not too much of a concern, If it will last me many years, but I am not a guy that has to have the most expensive anything, I drive a Ford pickup, if that says anything.

I am a 6' man and don't really like the small conceal carry guns. The short barrel, the tiny grip that I can cramp 3 fingers in is really not for me.

On my rifles I'm old school, wood and steel, I am not carrying these prejudices to a handgun. As you guys have probably handled more different kinds pistols than I ever will, I thought I would ask you.

I know all handguns have a following and really would rather this be a friendly conversation. I will not announce my decision in this thread because of this.

Thanks everyone

You can forget about the Glock. It is so not a 1911. The grip angle will bother you if you're used to 1911's.

How about...

- 9mm 1911?
- Browning Hi-Power
- In Tupperware, H&K P30LS has the same grip angle as a 1911, and a 1911 style safety so you can cock and lock it.
- CZ 75 but it's a DA/SA.
- Sig Sauer P226 has a 1911-ish grip angle.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #26

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did it
I did lots of reading last night, reviews and articles on the ones I was not familiar with.
Some of them seem kind of scarce to find in a small town, but I went to the LGS to see what they had and what they wanted for them.

They had almost everything you guys mentioned (I do live in TX). You guys were spot on. All of the heavier ones felt really good, I can't thank you enough for all the responses. The prices on the tags were only for uninformed people and the ones that wanted the easy pay plan. Even paying tax I got out cheaper than Buds.
As best I can tell you I bought the Ford Pickup of 9mm. It is one of the heavy ones to lessen recoil, I really like the weight and feel of it though. I didn't buy the cheapest, nor the most expensive.

I got home and field stripped it for cleaning and found really light rust. This was not a deal breaker, as I spent about an hour with some hoppes 9 and it all polished up really well. No pitting, no signs that it was ever there now.

What is causing me problems is the magazines! I have the correct box it came with cleaning supplies two magazines, the right manuals, even has warranty paperwork with the serial number on it.

I am the proud owner of a 9mm and 2 .40 S&W magazines. I stuck the first round in and it popped right back out. I got the second magazine and the same thing happened.
When I realized what happened I couldn't stop laughing.

Going back to the LGS tomorrow to get this straightened out.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by Commocarl; 06-07-2012 at 02:56 AM.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #27

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I don't understand -- what gun did u decide upon?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:22 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That is unusual. I'm having a laugh with you.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:31 AM   #29

Likes Given: 6

One that has come up several times which I have and love, is the Browning HiPower, but I would add, that to have Cylinder & lide install their SFS kit on it. This allows you to carry cokced and locked with the safety on, when you remove the safety it automatically cocks the hammer for you. Remove safety-pull trigger. I am also partial to Sigs which I also own, but my first choice would be the Hi-Power with the C&S upgrade. Check it out on their web site. The one complain people say about the browning is that it is a single action but this kit changes things in my book. Just a little opinion.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:35 AM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Since I prefer to CC with a round in the pipe I bought two DAO pistols, a 9mm and a 40sw.

Closed Thread