Good first handgun - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Good first handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

if you have made your mind up and decided the 40 caliber is what you want, then you need to try several out in different types and brands. the 40 is a little snappier than the 9mm or even the 45, and if going to a more compact type pistol, the is going to show up more pronounced in a smaller pistol. less control because of smaller grip and size. i like the 40 myself and own one in a more full size pistol. this is also the reason that even though i have no problem shooting hot magnum 357 rounds in a full size pistol, i just really don't care for 357 magnum snubnose revolvers. i also have no problem shooting 44 mag. with hot loads and hit very well with mine. the size of the pistol and how it fits your hand are very important in how well you shoot with it and how well you are able to control the pistol and absorb the recoil. a poor fitting pistol isn't condusive of accurate shooting or enjoyable at all to shoot.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #22

Liked 355 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdrawmcgraw View Post
Thanks I really appreciate all the advice. I think I'm going to get a small .40 semi auto. My state is a conceal and carry and semi autos are better for carry
For your very first handgun, a .22LR revolver would be your best bet.

Little or no recoil that way, a good gun to learn with, and you can use it to hunt squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, and opossums, if you ever need to eat wild meat because SHTF.

Save the .40 semi-auto for your second handgun.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
if you have made your mind up and decided the 40 caliber is what you want, then you need to try several out in different types and brands. the 40 is a little snappier than the 9mm or even the 45, and if going to a more compact type pistol, the is going to show up more pronounced in a smaller pistol. less control because of smaller grip and size. i like the 40 myself and own one in a more full size pistol. this is also the reason that even though i have no problem shooting hot magnum 357 rounds in a full size pistol, i just really don't care for 357 magnum snubnose revolvers. i also have no problem shooting 44 mag. with hot loads and hit very well with mine. the size of the pistol and how it fits your hand are very important in how well you shoot with it and how well you are able to control the pistol and absorb the recoil. a poor fitting pistol isn't condusive of accurate shooting or enjoyable at all to shoot.
Each of these handguns that you have mentioned serves a completely different purpose.

The 9mm is an outdated combat gun from Europe. I think the US military still uses them, strictly because Europe uses them too. However as we in the modern world for the next 100 years are unlikely to see anymore large European wars, the 9mm is now completely obsolete, unless it specifically meets your needs as a shooter, such as for a woman, for CCW.

The .357 is an outdated FBI gun. Nobody uses them anymore. The modern FBI marksmanship tests for CQB essentially require some kind of magazine fed semi-auto pistol.

The .44 mag is a hunting backup gun. The .454 Casull has superseded it as a primary hunting handgun, but the .454 is a bit to big to wear as a backup with a rifle. So the .44 has evolved as a backup gun for bear hunters and boar hunters. The .44 is also a good campsite gun in bear country.

For anyone who cannot handle a .45 ACP, a 10mm or a .40 cal would be the next step, to try out.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

Each of these handguns that you have mentioned serves a completely different purpose.

The 9mm is an outdated combat gun from Europe. I think the US military still uses them, strictly because Europe uses them too. However as we in the modern world for the next 100 years are unlikely to see anymore large European wars, the 9mm is now completely obsolete, unless it specifically meets your needs as a shooter, such as for a woman, for CCW.

The .357 is an outdated FBI gun. Nobody uses them anymore. The modern FBI marksmanship tests for CQB essentially require some kind of magazine fed semi-auto pistol.

The .44 mag is a hunting backup gun. The .454 Casull has superseded it as a primary hunting handgun, but the .454 is a bit to big to wear as a backup with a rifle. So the .44 has evolved as a backup gun for bear hunters and boar hunters. The .44 is also a good campsite gun in bear country.

For anyone who cannot handle a .45 ACP, a 10mm or a .40 cal would be the next step, to try out.
You really do live in your own little world don't you?

Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #25

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey Quick Draw McGraw what does your side kick Boba Louie think you should get? Your first pistol should be a wheel gun easy to shoot, load and espescially clean. All price ranges, calibers and there isn't a slide that can slice your hand open . Get proficiant and then you can pick up, say, a Desert Eagle and impress the little fillys.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post

shoobee, you need to go back to school and retake english comprehension! my post wasn't about suggestion of these weapons or calibers, but a size and caliber comparison in relation to accurate control of a weapon. but as usual, you don't seem to have a firm grip on reading and understanding what is written.

rather obvoius is also your lack of understanding of weapons and calibers, as usual. not everyone can handle a 45, a 10mm or a 40. all of these in a compact pistol can be hard to control and hit anything accurately. if you go back and reread what i said, i can control and hit accurately with either the 357 or 44 mag in a full size weapon, but have a hard time with them in smaller handguns like a small snubnose type pistol.

as that i own many different pistols in many different calibers, the 40 i own is definately more snappier that the 45 acp or the 9mm!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #27

Quote:
shoobee, you need to go back to school and retake english comprehension! my post wasn't about suggestion of these weapons or calibers, but a size and caliber comparison in relation to accurate control of a weapon. but as usual, you don't seem to have a firm grip on reading and understanding what is written.

rather obvoius is also your lack of understanding of weapons and calibers, as usual. not everyone can handle a 45, a 10mm or a 40. all of these in a compact pistol can be hard to control and hit anything accurately. if you go back and reread what i said, i can control and hit accurately with either the 357 or 44 mag in a full size weapon, but have a hard time with them in smaller handguns like a small snubnose type pistol.

as that i own many different pistols in many different calibers, the 40 i own is definately more snappier that the 45 acp or the 9mm!
AXXE I realize you were rambling and being somewhat cryptic. You are a lot like my X-girlfriend, she rambles and is cryptic too.

My point is simply that your introduction of the 9mm and the .357 were non-sequitur's. And with an O/P that doesn't know much about handguns, you could be throwing him completely off track by mentioning those calibres.

I did not disagree with you on the .40 . This is the newest fad calibre, and very attractive to neophytes. I agree with you, he should shoot it, and see how it feels first.

I am sure you and I would agree that the calibre is less important than the fit of the gun in your hands and the action of the slide, trigger, and hammer. He can probably get used to anything, with enough practice.

Overall I believe he would be better off with a .22 LR first however.

Last edited by Shoobee; 01-23-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by phburks View Post
You really do live in your own little world don't you?
I love history. It explains a lot.

I hate fads though. They only fool fools.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
AXXE I realize you were rambling and being somewhat cryptic. You are a lot like my X-girlfriend, she rambles and is cryptic too.

My point is simply that your introduction of the 9mm and the .357 were non-sequitur's. And with an O/P that doesn't know much about handguns, you could be throwing him completely off track by mentioning those calibres.

I did not disagree with you on the .40 . This is the newest fad calibre, and very attractive to neophytes. I agree with you, he should shoot it, and see how it feels first.

I am sure you and I would agree that the calibre is less important than the fit of the gun in your hands and the action of the slide, trigger, and hammer. He can probably get used to anything, with enough practice.

Overall I believe he would be better off with a .22 LR first however.
i am not rambling or being cryptic! besides he has already decided he was going to buy one in 40 caliber, so your suggestion is is a nonissue if he has made his mind up. the OP will be better advised if he has his mind made up on the 40, to find one that fits his hand well and can control. control is the the biggest factor in accuracy from a pistol.

as that i bought a Beretta in 40 caliber over 20 years ago and have owned many in different types of pistols, i would have to say that is has surpassed the fad stage by a long ways. i am far from any type of "neophyte" as you call people who use the 40, as i have been around firearms and shooting them or over 40 years. and i would hardly classify government agencies and LE as "neophytes" either as many still use pistols chambered in 40 caliber.

you need to start doing some homework on what you claim to know, because you dont seem to know as much as you think you do.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #30

Quote:
i am not rambling or being cryptic! ...
Yah yah yah. You could be her pet parrot now. Quoting her exactly.

You can have your fad guns. I won't be wasting my time on them.

The O/P is making a big mistake. That's not rocket science.

Go ahead and put on your tutu and cheerlead for him. Go ahead.

Make my day.

Last edited by Shoobee; 01-23-2012 at 08:22 AM.