Good first handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Good first handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good first handgun

I Was thinking of getting a handgun and I didn't know what was good for beginners. I have plenty of experience with rifles and shotguns but I haven't owned a handgun. This handgun would be for target practice and home defense. Would really appreciate some feed back

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Since you have some firearms experience, I would certainly check out a Ruger GP 100 .357 mag with a 4 or 6 inch barrel. .357 is good for HD, but can shoot .38 spl for less expensive range time.

Start with a wheel gun, then later add a pistol, such as a 1911, Springfield XD or a Glock. You can find an example of each of these in my safe.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Since you have some firearms experience, I would certainly check out a Ruger GP 100 .357 mag with a 4 or 6 inch barrel. .357 is good for HD, but can shoot .38 spl for less expensive range time.

Start with a wheel gun, then later add a pistol, such as a 1911, Springfield XD or a Glock. You can find an example of each of these in my safe.
+1...great advice there Gator... OP,If you can learn to shoot a revolver in DA accurately, it's a smooth transition to a pistol...not so much the other way around...speaking from experience, if I had it to do over again, I'd pick a good wheelgun to get my feet wet with first...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 12-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

If you get 100 replies, you'll probably get 99 different answers. My first handgun was a .22 revolver, then a .357 revolver. But, when I decided to get my carry license, neither of those were suited for concealed carry & I opted for a semi-auto. Basically more rounds & thinner pistol, so easier to conceal.

I lucked out & got one which needed no break-in because I didn't know enough about semi autos to even know they sometimes need break-in. They can be ammo picky, sometimes need couple hundred rounds for parts to "mate". You get past all that, I believe a good semi-auto is the best for both fun at the range & self defense, especially if you intend carrying it.

As for brand, etc. I like Bersas & have them from .380 up thru .45ACP. But, I also am addicted to 1911s in .45ACP. You really need to shop around, handling & shooting as many different ones as you can, to decide what's best for you. I may own one in 9mm one of these days, after I get all of the .45s I have on my list. As for caliber, many don't think so, but I believe the .380 is a viable self defense round with the right ammo. Those pistols however, tend to be blow back design & small, so susceptable to limp wristing, ammo picky & have a pretty snappy recoil. Due to size, weight & design, 9mms tend to have less recoil, except for the sub compact ultra lights, are more reliable out of the box & the ammo is cheaper. Then, the .40 tends to be pretty snappy also compared to the .45 so many go past it to the .45. Of course, those higher calibers mean larger & heavier so if carrying it is your ultimate goal, how you dress will enter into that.

Anyway, the research & the handling/shooting is part of the fun, so have a good time!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #5

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I think revolvers are a good choice for first handguns. I think that .22s are a good choice in caliber for a first handgun, but maybe you've moved beyond that point and would like to start out with something a bit bigger.
I like the .357 magnum, and classic S&W revolvers.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ruger SP 101 in 357 magnum with 4" barrel. Shoot 38 special for target and 357 mag for defense.

Your mixed use...entry level/target/home defense makes it had to identify the perfect gun. There will be some tradeoffs.

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 12-31-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:51 AM   #7

Thanks I really appreciate all the advice. I think I'm going to get a small .40 semi auto. My state is a conceal and carry and semi autos are better for carry

Old 01-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #8

Liked 2548 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 1980

I'd start with a Ruger MKIII or Buckmark 22LR with the 6-7/8"

bull barrel, in 22LR. Just my opinion...

Old 01-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2230 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdrawmcgraw View Post
Thanks I really appreciate all the advice. I think I'm going to get a small .40 semi auto. My state is a conceal and carry and semi autos are better for carry
My favorite range gun is my Springfield XDm 40, but .40 is a pretty snappy round for a small gun. Find a range and rent as many as possible.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #10

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go with a .38 revolver.