A good CCW with safeties - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A good CCW with safeties

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Condition One And Only

Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer cocked back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I can't read a Texas Ranger story without encouraging everyone here to visit the Texas Ranger Museum if they are ever within 500 miles of Waco Texas. If you like unique historical firearms (especially 1911 pistols) then you will throughly enjoy your visit.

One Ranger story I find interesting is about a prison riot in the 1950's. Inmates of the Rusk State Hospital for the Criminally Insane rioted and took hostages. Ranger Captain Bob Crowder walked alone into the maximum-security unit, armed only with a .45 on his hip. Crowder and the mob leader had a conversation, after which all of the inmates surrendered.

A long-time director of Texas Dept. of Public Safety described the Rangers better than I can. "They were men who could not be stampeded."

web link: Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 01-23-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I can't read a Texas Ranger story without encouraging everyone here to visit the Texas Ranger Museum if they are ever within 500 miles of Waco Texas. If you like unique historical firearms (especially 1911 pistols) then you will throughly enjoy your visit.

One Ranger story I find interesting is about a prison riot in the 1950's. Inmates of the Rusk State Hospital for the Criminally Insane rioted and took hostages. Ranger Captain Bob Crowder walked alone into the maximum-security unit, armed only with a .45 on his hip. Crowder and the mob leader had a conversation, after which all of the inmates surrendered.

A long-time director of Texas Dept. of Public Safety described the Rangers better than I can. "They were men who could not be stampeded."

web link: Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum

Sad thing is I lived in Waco for 2 years and never made it there, must have driven by it a million times. It's right on I35 and sits on the south bank of the Brazos River. Can't miss it. Maybe I will stop on one of my many trips to Austin.

Springfield Armory XDm .40 S&W
Davis Industries P-380

Old 01-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #23

when chosing my carry firearm, I wanted something that would help me avoid a Plaxico. Well, actually, the first step to that was avoiding carrying Mexican in sweatpants. I landed on the XD9sc. I didnt want a manual safety. The XD incorporates the 1911ish grip safety, along with the Glockish trigger safety. It's very difficult to pull of an AD with it.

- Craig

XD9SC

Old 01-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #24

I carry the XD9SC and I love it. The saftey grip was one feature that I liked. I'm a girl and it was a little chunky at first. I am always concerned about printing. We ladies do wear our clothes a little snugger than you all. I wear an IWB leather holster and a leather vest.

Pam

Old 01-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyDSP View Post
when chosing my carry firearm, I wanted something that would help me avoid a Plaxico. Well, actually, the first step to that was avoiding carrying Mexican in sweatpants. I landed on the XD9sc. I didnt want a manual safety. The XD incorporates the 1911ish grip safety, along with the Glockish trigger safety. It's very difficult to pull of an AD with it.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #26

H&K USP Compact.

Springfield XD9
H&K USP 9
Kel-Tec P3AT

Last edited by iVTEC; 01-27-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: messed up

Old 01-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #27

Thanks gang, lots of good info.