Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A good CCW with safeties

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^ That's actually pretty cool. I would not have guessed you got it that close to the top of the search. It's not even really a defining moment in the movie...LOL

Epic Post Matt - Well Played Sir...

JD

Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
^ That's actually pretty cool. I would not have guessed you got it that close to the top of the search. It's not even really a defining moment in the movie...LOL

Epic Post Matt - Well Played Sir...

JD
It was one of a few good examples of the hard edged, mindless discipline of the Rangers versus the no BS, common sense of Delta. Minor, but very important.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:12 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliams131 View Post
I keep a S&W MP 9mm compact in my car (and occassionally carry it) and don't like that it takes two hands to make it ready (rack the slide) and I don't like keeping it in a ready-state where only a slight tug on the trigger fires the weapon. Can any of you recommend a good CCW that has at least a decocker and preferrably also a manual safety? I would like at least a 9mm and preferably of equal or less size than what I have.
One option is to keep the gun in a holster, but that will most likely result in your needing two-hands to bring the weapon into play unless you mount the holster in your car where it is accessible. If you just put it in a holster and then in the center console (or whatever) then you'll have to pull the holster off. You could just as easily cycle the action like you're doing now.

It seems you're concerned about negligent discharge because of the exposed trigger, so another option is to move to a gun with a heavier double action trigger pull like Mark F suggests. Traditional Sig Sauer pistols are a good choice in this category. They have a heavy first trigger pull, followed by lighter single-action followup shots. They have a decocker to lower the cocked hammer, and no manual safety.

Finally, guns with manual safeties that you have to disengage are what you actually asked about. JD's suggestion of a commander length 1911 pistol is excellent, and actually offers you several options. The traditional 1911 is a single-action design (hammer cocked to fire), so you can carry hammer down on empty chamber (what you're already doing), hammer down on live chamber (not a good idea), or hammer cocked with the manual thumb safety activated (my preference). Hammer down on a live chamber is the worst option, because you have to manually ride the hammer, presenting opportunity for misfire. The choice of most professionals for 1911 carry is the cocked & locked variant. The shooting hand's thumb pushes down on the safety to disengage it, and can easily push back up to engage the safety.

If you aren't comfortable with the 1911 for whatever reason, there are other firearms with manual safeties that you can consider. I personally think the thumb safety of the 1911 is the best, and the thumb safety concept has been copied on the HK USP, as well as versions of the Springfield XD and the Smith M&P. You might check into those as well.

M&P 9C with thumb safety.

Springfield XD Thumb Safety

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 01-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

1911s can be set to half cock, which requires you to pull the hammer back manually to full cock before firing.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I was surprised at how quickly Google brought that one up. "Hoot+"this is my safety sir"" yielded that as the 3rd result.
HOOT was the F**KING HEAT throughout that movie.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 01-09-2009, 02:43 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Have you considered a CZ? They are rugged, affordable and accurate. You can get a model 75 either with a decocker (the first shot is double action) or with a regular safety (which allows cocked and locked carry). There are compact models as well.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Have you considered a CZ? They are rugged, affordable and accurate. You can get a model 75 either with a decocker (the first shot is double action) or with a regular safety (which allows cocked and locked carry). There are compact models as well.
I fully agree on a CZ. Double/single action is a nice safety. It's like a revolver with benefits! I personally like the de-cocker option but I carry a CZ RAMI and I don't think they have one with that option. I would much rather carry a CZ-75 D but they are a little too large for concealed carry in my opinion. I have carried many 1911 sub compacts and love them but I always have the problem of the manual safety becoming disengaged while carrying from movement that I moved towards DA/SA. I can't bring myself to carry a DOA 12 lb trigger gun to protect my life.

Edit; Forgot too add, the Para PDA is also HIGHLY recommended if you can afford one. I've got to give this one to the Canadians. For a country where it is almost criminal to own a hand gun they make one of the finest! Kind of like Kimber and New York.

Last edited by Bigcat_hunter; 01-09-2009 at 04:34 AM.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:03 AM   #18

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

1911 condition one and only!

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 AM   #19

i agree with a few of the options on here so far... 1911 in condition one is just as safe as any other option available really... but if you arent comfortable with that (some people just aren't), i really like the idea of a CZ model (or a baby eagle perhaps). one of the reasons i would say that over a SIG or something of that nature is because you mentioned how you are keeping it in your car, right? SIGs are a bit expensive for the possibility (however slight) of being left to be stolen. at least for me. now i dont know where you live or anything like that, so it may not be a factor... but it is pretty hard to beat the price point-reliability ratio of a CZ-75, plus it has a TON of safety/decocker options for you to choose from.

-if money isn't a factor and you want a manual safety, just do yourself a favor and get a decent 1911 platform.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #20

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Condition One And Only

Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer cocked back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello