Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A good CCW with safeties

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A good CCW with safeties

I keep a S&W MP 9mm compact in my car (and occassionally carry it) and don't like that it takes two hands to make it ready (rack the slide) and I don't like keeping it in a ready-state where only a slight tug on the trigger fires the weapon. Can any of you recommend a good CCW that has at least a decocker and preferrably also a manual safety? I would like at least a 9mm and preferably of equal or less size than what I have.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

4.25" 1911.

They also make them in 3" - but I prefer the 4.25" personally.

Three safeties, but you only need one hand to make it go from Condition 1 to Bang.

JD

Old 12-31-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2604 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I know this may seem trite but the primary safety on any firearm is the user's brain. The secondary safety is the user's trigger finger. If the trigger finger is trained to stay out of the trigger guard until ready to shoot, all other safeties are moot. I currently do not use any manual safeties on any of my handguns. Even the Smith & Wesson autos the slide mounted "safety" is primarily a safe de-cocker and is left in the "fire" position.

You do not need two hands to "rack" a pistol slide. You can hook the rear sight on your belt and push down or simply use the friction between your pants and the slide to rack it.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I know this may seem trite but the primary safety on any firearm is the user's brain. The secondary safety is the user's trigger finger. If the trigger finger is trained to stay out of the trigger guard until ready to shoot, all other safeties are moot. I currently do not use any manual safeties on any of my handguns. Even the Smith & Wesson autos the slide mounted "safety" is primarily a safe de-cocker and is left in the "fire" position.

You do not need two hands to "rack" a pistol slide. You can hook the rear sight on your belt and push down or simply use the friction between your pants and the slide to rack it.
I totally agree.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliams131 View Post
I keep a S&W MP 9mm compact in my car (and occassionally carry it) and don't like that it takes two hands to make it ready (rack the slide) and I don't like keeping it in a ready-state where only a slight tug on the trigger fires the weapon. Can any of you recommend a good CCW that has at least a decocker and preferrably also a manual safety? I would like at least a 9mm and preferably of equal or less size than what I have.
That's where a DA really shines. All of my carry weapons are DA with one in the pipe and the hammer down. No need to rack... just pull the trigger. In DA mode, you have to WANT to pull the trigger and draw back the hammer to fire. You really can't do this "accidentally".

Old 12-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I go with Mark F`s opinion.

There have been cases, where the trigger has been pulled by the holster on Glock and similar pistols while holstering it.
So what you need is a holster, that prevents that happening on the M&P, considering the trigger safety on the M&P is a bit diffrent and suposidly safer then on the Glock.

This type holster should do:

http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=568

Where the trigger guard of the holster is a bit wider and has no notches or so that could accidently pull the trigger.

Ken

Old 12-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Basically there's 2 types of trigger/action systems that would work fine for you since you want an manual safety or double action trigger pull. My first choice (naturally) is the excellent Para-Ordnance LDA series of 1911 platform double action only pistols. The double action trigger pull on these is so light and smooth, the very 1st time I felt 1, I thought the damn thing was broke. They DO have a longer reset than other striker fired pistols such as Glock or Springfield Armory XDs, but they are THE lightest/smoothest DAO. The Para-Ordnance LDA series are offered in single stack and double stack magazines, as well as all the standard different sizes. They offer the best of both worlds-combining 1911 platform with DAO, but they are a bit higher than some other pistols. The Springfield armory xd can be had with manual safety as option, AND they also have the added feature of grip safety. If you want to stick with similar platform as the S&W m&p you currently have, if it was me, I would carry the m&p fully loaded as they, like Glocks, do feature internal safetys.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

"This is my safety, sir"

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:16 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
"This is my safety, sir"

Kilo 11 - That's F**KING EPIC!!!

+100 on that post!!

JD

Old 12-31-2008, 11:48 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Kilo 11 - That's F**KING EPIC!!!

+100 on that post!!

JD
I was surprised at how quickly Google brought that one up. "Hoot+"this is my safety sir"" yielded that as the 3rd result.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.