Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   A good CCW with safeties (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/good-ccw-safeties-9545/)

dwilliams131 12-31-2008 01:26 PM

A good CCW with safeties

I keep a S&W MP 9mm compact in my car (and occassionally carry it) and don't like that it takes two hands to make it ready (rack the slide) and I don't like keeping it in a ready-state where only a slight tug on the trigger fires the weapon. Can any of you recommend a good CCW that has at least a decocker and preferrably also a manual safety? I would like at least a 9mm and preferably of equal or less size than what I have.

Dillinger 12-31-2008 01:28 PM

4.25" 1911.

They also make them in 3" - but I prefer the 4.25" personally.

Three safeties, but you only need one hand to make it go from Condition 1 to Bang.

JD

robocop10mm 12-31-2008 02:56 PM

I know this may seem trite but the primary safety on any firearm is the user's brain. The secondary safety is the user's trigger finger. If the trigger finger is trained to stay out of the trigger guard until ready to shoot, all other safeties are moot. I currently do not use any manual safeties on any of my handguns. Even the Smith & Wesson autos the slide mounted "safety" is primarily a safe de-cocker and is left in the "fire" position.

You do not need two hands to "rack" a pistol slide. You can hook the rear sight on your belt and push down or simply use the friction between your pants and the slide to rack it.

Mark F 12-31-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 58529)
I know this may seem trite but the primary safety on any firearm is the user's brain. The secondary safety is the user's trigger finger. If the trigger finger is trained to stay out of the trigger guard until ready to shoot, all other safeties are moot. I currently do not use any manual safeties on any of my handguns. Even the Smith & Wesson autos the slide mounted "safety" is primarily a safe de-cocker and is left in the "fire" position.

You do not need two hands to "rack" a pistol slide. You can hook the rear sight on your belt and push down or simply use the friction between your pants and the slide to rack it.

I totally agree.

Mark F 12-31-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwilliams131 (Post 58515)
I keep a S&W MP 9mm compact in my car (and occassionally carry it) and don't like that it takes two hands to make it ready (rack the slide) and I don't like keeping it in a ready-state where only a slight tug on the trigger fires the weapon. Can any of you recommend a good CCW that has at least a decocker and preferrably also a manual safety? I would like at least a 9mm and preferably of equal or less size than what I have.

That's where a DA really shines. All of my carry weapons are DA with one in the pipe and the hammer down. No need to rack... just pull the trigger. In DA mode, you have to WANT to pull the trigger and draw back the hammer to fire. You really can't do this "accidentally".

kdog 12-31-2008 04:24 PM

I go with Mark F`s opinion.

There have been cases, where the trigger has been pulled by the holster on Glock and similar pistols while holstering it.
So what you need is a holster, that prevents that happening on the M&P, considering the trigger safety on the M&P is a bit diffrent and suposidly safer then on the Glock.

This type holster should do:

http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=568

Where the trigger guard of the holster is a bit wider and has no notches or so that could accidently pull the trigger.

Ken

stalkingbear 12-31-2008 06:55 PM

Basically there's 2 types of trigger/action systems that would work fine for you since you want an manual safety or double action trigger pull. My first choice (naturally) is the excellent Para-Ordnance LDA series of 1911 platform double action only pistols. The double action trigger pull on these is so light and smooth, the very 1st time I felt 1, I thought the damn thing was broke. They DO have a longer reset than other striker fired pistols such as Glock or Springfield Armory XDs, but they are THE lightest/smoothest DAO. The Para-Ordnance LDA series are offered in single stack and double stack magazines, as well as all the standard different sizes. They offer the best of both worlds-combining 1911 platform with DAO, but they are a bit higher than some other pistols. The Springfield armory xd can be had with manual safety as option, AND they also have the added feature of grip safety. If you want to stick with similar platform as the S&W m&p you currently have, if it was me, I would carry the m&p fully loaded as they, like Glocks, do feature internal safetys.

matt g 12-31-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 58529)

"This is my safety, sir"

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...rtsch/Hoot.jpg

Dillinger 12-31-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 58619)

Kilo 11 - That's F**KING EPIC!!!

+100 on that post!!

JD

matt g 12-31-2008 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 58648)
Kilo 11 - That's F**KING EPIC!!!

+100 on that post!!

JD

I was surprised at how quickly Google brought that one up. "Hoot+"this is my safety sir"" yielded that as the 3rd result.