Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Good ccw handun??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 748 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

My CCW pistols are;

XDM Compact Two-Tone in 9mm,
S&W Shield in .40SW,
SIG P238
and a LCR .357 Magnum.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 210 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I really like my Beretta Nano. Check it out, it's reliable and its really solid. Check it out!

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 09-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 183 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbcruz12 View Post
She likes the S&W 686 Plus and the XDM 9mm.
Great guns. A little big? Sure. But if they work well for her carry situation, that's just fine. A 'big' gun can be more imposing, higher in capacity, and more shooter-friendly when it comes to quickly landing multiple hits on target. That bigger gun will also tend to be more powerful ballistically (longer barrel), so you get more power that's also easier to keep on target.

One of the medium guns I often endorse for female shooters is the Sig P239. Capacity isn't so great and it shouldn't be confused with a micro carry gun, but its slim profile fits a lot of women really well. They can be expensive though ($600-800). Also look into the XDm9 3.8 with the compact magwell/grip.

Size, ergonomics, safeties, etc...they're all important. But above all else, it's critical that she have confidence in her own abilities with that gun. That trumps everything. And it usually starts with buying something she likes, that she'll enjoy practicing with.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #24

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Cute pup in your avatar BTW....
Thanks. We had to put here down a couple years ago on account of cancer. Hated to do it. She was half red doberman, half pit bull terrier. Parent were both registered, the litter was an "oops". We were fortunate to get one of the pups.

She lived to go Jeepin'. Loved to run the trails when we went rock crawlin'. Never had to worry about her being in the wrong spot. Here she is, a true Jeep Dog, on a rock crawling trail here in Arizona.

Stu
www.stu-offroad.com

Old 09-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #25
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2076 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona98tj

Thanks. We had to put here down a couple years ago on account of cancer. Hated to do it. She was half red doberman, half pit bull terrier. Parent were both registered, the litter was an "oops". We were fortunate to get one of the pups.

She lived to go Jeepin'. Loved to run the trails when we went rock crawlin'. Never had to worry about her being in the wrong spot. Here she is, a true Jeep Dog, on a rock crawling trail here in Arizona.
Great story, so sorry for you loss....
But back on topic:
Agree on the LCR/LCP/LC9 comments. My LC9 is with me every moment. If a place says "no weapons" or "no firearms" they don't get to be graced with my presence or business. I don't "OC" a gun except in the desert, but open carry my new Kershaw Hunter everywhere and my LC9 is always close by, either in a manbag or pocket. The wife loves both her SP101 and her LCR, but carries the LCR or her 22 derringer more often then not. Some say the LCR's trigger pull isn't that great, but the only "mushiness" I ever felt in an LCR's trigger was when we test shot the 22LR and 22Mag. Models when we were trying to decide.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 09-14-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #26

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The LCR trigger on mine is very nice. It was one of the things that I really appreciate on it. Now the sights?...well, not so much love there. I realize it is a snubby but that should preclude it from having good sights...and some of it may be my 60 year old eyeballs. Because of that, it was the first (and so far the only) firearm I've actually put laser sights on. I've been very happy with the LCR Crimson Trace sights I installed.

Stu
www.stu-offroad.com

Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #27

Liked 97 Times on 71 Posts

Any gun that proves reliable that she can comfortably carry and shoot. .380 and up is what I recommend