Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > good carry gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovlogos View Post
I say the same about my sr9c -- even on a bad day I shoot a tight group. It looks like we are in the same zone on the issue of self defense. Reality dictates many choices. Several people have suggested to "know how to shot your particular firearm," a definite bottom line. Then perhaps work your way up in calibers until you've reached a realistic maximum. A neighbor of mine shoots a trophy buck every single year, without fail (legally) with a 22 mag, by putting one behind the ear. I don't do that; but he knows every blade of grass in the area; and this guy can shoot. When in an area with lots of bears -- the 10 mm, or 44 mag backs up the slug gun.
I'm glad to hear that you like the SR9, I looked at it also before buying the LCP but at 7.5" long & 26.5 ounces it's a lot larger than the LCP and just wouldn't work for me as a pocket carry.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 05-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #92

My first carry piece was a Bersa .380 as well. Easy to conceal and fits comfortably. The next one was a Bersa .45 UC. I like it for a carry but it does kick, expecially with the +P loads. After about four rounds, it stings a bit. My favorite is a SIG Mosquito .22. I have a close fitting holster, its light, very accurate, and holds 10 rounds.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
I'm glad to hear that you like the SR9, I looked at it also before buying the LCP but at 7.5" long & 26.5 ounces it's a lot larger than the LCP and just wouldn't work for me as a pocket carry.
I hear you. That's why I sometimes borrow the .22mag. There's no question that a heavy gun can be a psychological damper; so, I respect the realities of the different seasons. Bottom line, my faith is always in God. I can, however, theologically back up the use of carrying a firearm. I cannot likewise support utterly stupid use of a weapon.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #94

Liked 2403 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 1891

[quote=jackg;500819]

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post

It's likely that I misinterpreted what he posted (that's a huge issue with communicating in this fashion, you can't have a "live" discussion, nor can you pick up on sarcastic type remarks. At any rate I agree with what you just said, I can't see a BG taking time to evaluate the potential of the gun you just flashed at him. He's going to do 0ne of two things, unless he also has a gun he's most likely to flee. His second option is to stand and fight which will be a bad decision on his part and it'll likely mean that his judgement is being impaired by drugs or some other stimulant and it'll be difficult to predict what his behavior will be. At that point I'd probably shoot him because he's an unknown risk. Just be sure you shoot him as a defensive act, you can't shoot him on the back while he's trying to flee.
While I would be forced to conclude that any individual or group were

committed to a course of action once they attacked, if they attempted

to flee at the sight of my gun, I would certainly let them go.

I just doubt the average BG will change his mind, based on my gun type and

size, on the go, so quickly-however, I should certainly hope I'm that lucky.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #95

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[quote=therewolf;501319]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post

While I would be forced to conclude that any individual or group were

committed to a course of action once they attacked, if they attempted

to flee at the sight of my gun, I would certainly let them go.

I just doubt the average BG will change his mind, based on my gun type and

size, on the go, so quickly-however, I should certainly hope I'm that lucky.
I agree 100%, the fact that you have a gun (regardless of size & caliber) should scare him off, or not, in which case you just need to pull the trigger.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD