good, but i want to be better

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > good, but i want to be better

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1136 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Default good, but i want to be better

i have been around firearms (pistols and rifles) since a very young age. i can be an excellant rifle shooter when i put my mind to it,. but on a day to day basis im probably average. however, even though i was always around pistols i didnt use them near as much. now i am older i want to make it a more even time spent between the two. now to my point. im an okay pistol shooter. i generally at least hit the paper. but i want to be more of a 10 ring group kinda of guy. and i am looking for knowledge. so what would be some good books for me to read up on? and what are some good tips, techniques i can employ in my pistol shooting that are different from my rifle techniques i already try to incorperate?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Dry fire and live fire with a 22lr. Shooting 22s really helps due to the ammount you can shoot for the money. Gives you more practice with fundamentals.

Join a pistol/rifle club is another good way.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #3

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

Correct stance, grip, and trigger control. You can search stances online and try them. It will be obvious what works best. The other 2 take time. I changed my stance about 6 years ago, made a world of difference.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I learned the basics and advanced skills in the military. Great way to serve your country and get "free" shooting lessons!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Dry fire almost any centerfire firearm, but not the .22lr firearms.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2421 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

JJ,

There are some good articles on the web. One I can think of is "How To Shoot a Pistol" by Massad Ayoob. He has some good basic pointers. It is in a PDF Form so you can download it or print it out. There are other good ones like some by Jerry Miculek. And as stated by the others, once you get the basics down solid it is simply range time from there on.
And dry fire drills with the use of snap caps when available or empty casings.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:22 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

More details would be helpful, what distance are you shooting at? What pistol (semi auto, wheel gun)? What caliber and what is the intent (traget, HD, CC). With the information given practice is the key, dry and live fire. Grip and stance has much to do with where the rounds go, muscle memory is something to work (practice, practice and some more practice) if it's HD or CC.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #8
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you want to hit what your aiming at it's all about fundamentals and becoming very good at them. Trigger control and sight alignment. Your grip and stance have nothing to do with how accurate of a shot you are UNLESS you are shooting in a rapid manner. If you want a great place to start get the dvd "Shooting Missology" by James Yeager. If you listen and practice what you learn in the video you will become a good shot and start blowing out the bullseyes.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:06 AM   #9

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'm liking joining the rifle/pistol/shotgun shooting club thing. So far the rifle club / competiton thing has worked for me. Also the training and or clinics that can be offered through the clubs. When it comes to things like golf, shooting, skiing, etc.. I have to have hands on and live instruction and mentoring for it to do a guy like me any good. Reading or watching how it's done is useless for me. Then when you are taught the large and little things that make you better at any endevour of shooting theres the practice, practrice, practice.

Kind of like golf, higher shooting skills have a shelf life. Meaning you have to constantly keep honing your skills by doing it to keep on top of your game.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You need to shoot a pistol pretty regularly to keep your skills up. Dry fire helps. We used to use these Speer plastic cartridges powered just by a primer. You're using your real gun, firing a projectile, but it does shoot low because of no recoil. We also fired 3-12 rounds just about every day live fire. You can't believe how much you can improve after a couple of months. ps At the time we lived in the Alaska boonies.

Last edited by freefall; 07-22-2011 at 04:46 AM.