Good Beginner 9mm - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Good Beginner 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj84
Why ignore my comment sigma and hi point are cheap low quality handguns. He said glock or s&w. I personally wouldn't take advise from anyone that calls a polymer gun plastic. I guarantee that a 1911 won't take more abuse than one.
Certain people just hate polymer(plastic) guns, for what reason? I don't know. I for one love em, all of my pistols are polymer (plastic) for the simple reason they do not weigh me down as much when cc'ing. Not that there is a serious weight difference it's just a preference. OP I carry a Glock g19 every day tshirt and shorts with no problem, getting the right holster is what really matters.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #22

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

As pertaining to grip. The S&W MP 9C comes with different backstraps to change the size of the grip so that it better fits your hand. This is something that all of the MP line has in common except for the Shield models. I own several different brands but I carry my S&W MP. They are a great shooting pistol.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #23

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj84 View Post
Why ignore my comment sigma and hi point are cheap low quality handguns. He said glock or s&w. I personally wouldn't take advise from anyone that calls a polymer gun plastic. I guarantee that a 1911 won't take more abuse than one.
We have this thread twice a week. He wants a Glock let him get a Glock

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3061 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Not knowing your experience overall, I would suggest something that you get what you feel comfortable with.

I have problems with the Glock and my hold.

With the semi-auto, it is more difficult to diagnose shooting problems (should they arise). I've seen students go through a box of ammo and not hit the target. When I put them on a revolver, we found the problems, fixed the problems, and gave them back the semi-auto and saw a considerable improvement.

When learning to shoot handguns, those who chose the semi-auto (without having the basics down) seem to develop a "spray and pray" attitude.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and mine is to get a good revolver first, then a semi-auto.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3049 Times on 1526 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj84 View Post
Polymer (in this application) IS plastic. Whether it offends anyone's tender sensibilities is irrelevant. Calling it such is not either inaccurate or offensive.
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
And yes, the 1911's service record speaks for itself.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?
People Like This 
Old 10-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #26

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts

Lol 1911 fanboys are so judgmental. When someone suggest a Glock or any other polymer framed pistol they get all buttsick. Each firearm has it's up's and downs. Why hate on one certain kind just because your not comfortable with it?

Old 10-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankous View Post
Right On! Ever run into the problem finding a gun you like such as reliability,sights, etc. but it didn't really fit your hand? How would I deal with that problem? Can you buy different grips?
The only issue I've had was the spring was too tight on the mag and the first 75 rounds double fed, after that it is a dream. The three back straps make it fit almost any hand, I use the large and sometimes medium, I will put the small on it for my girlfriend to shoot. Sights can always be changed, I suggest getting night sights if you are going to carry just in case. The grip angle on the Glock doesn't feel right to me, I liked shooting my buddies XD but I will always keep going back to the M&P line of handguns.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #28

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

If my experience is at all a common one, then I'd say stick with something popular, brand name, and a high resale value. As has been said, determine, first, what you will use it for.

If home defense go with large frame, easy to shoot and handle recoil, maybe even the old trust and reliable revolver.

If plinking fun a semi-auto with high capacity magazine option.

From there do you have large hand or small? Grip several in a store and see what feels good in the hands. I hate double stacks, they fit my hands, but aren't at all comfortable.

If for carry, go with something compact and concealable.

There are tons of things to consider before you'll know what's really good for you, but only experience with guns will help you to figure it out. I can tell you for days what I've found and why, but that wont help you.

Get a friend with several handguns to take you out, or find a range that has rentals. That's the best advice you can heed.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The reason I don't like plastic guns - I bought a new Ruger LC9 and put 50 rounds through it. When I took it apart to clean it one of the plastic frame rails had already started to splinter and crack. That won't happen on an all metal gun.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

A ruger lc9 is cheap too I sold my 380 for the same reason most poly guns have metal internal parts.