Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Good Beginner 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2177 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 189

First, if you are bit of a noob to handguns, I strongly recommend that you take a NRA Basic Handgun Class before taking the plunge.

Also, there is no shortage of high quality 9 mm handguns that aren't plastic with strikers.
Sig
Beretta
H&K
CZ
Browning Hi Power
EAA/Tangfolio Witness.
Any number of 1911s chambered for 9mm.
and the list goes on.

OP,
Find a range that rents and spend an afternoon learning what's out there and see what you actually like.

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #12

Lol, well I'm not a complete noob at guns in general. My uncle is big into guns. He's taken me hunting before, and to the range as well. I've just never dedicated any time to research what guns are out there. I appreciate all your inputs.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #13

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Ignore the Sigma and Hi-Point comment, they are good guns but there are better guns they'll just cost more. So if all you can afford is a Sigma or Hi-Point there is nothing wrong with them.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 10-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #14

Liked 158 Times on 113 Posts

Another factor to think of is how do you dress? If you're going to conceal you need to take that into consideration. I often wear t-shirts and shorts so a glock 19 or m&p9 was just too big and bulky. I opted for a ruger lc9 with lasermax. That way I can usually carry without looking funny. I agree to dress around the gun but first you should find a gun you can control without change going your style drastically.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock
Another factor to think of is how do you dress? If you're going to conceal you need to take that into consideration. I often wear t-shirts and shorts so a glock 19 or m&p9 was just too big and bulky. I opted for a ruger lc9 with lasermax. That way I can usually carry without looking funny. I agree to dress around the gun but first you should find a gun you can control without change going your style drastically.
That's a great point! I didn't really think about it, but you can always catch me wearing a sweatshirt or bulky coat cause I'm always cold with some cargo shorts or gym shorts.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #16

Likes Given: 1

My first pistol was a M&P 9c love it, again what fits your hand and what you are comfortable with is what you want to chose. When you decide spend lots of time at the range to where it feels like it was made for you.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingolfer
My first pistol was a M&P 9c love it, again what fits your hand and what you are comfortable with is what you want to chose. When you decide spend lots of time at the range to where it feels like it was made for you.
Right On! Ever run into the problem finding a gun you like such as reliability,sights, etc. but it didn't really fit your hand? How would I deal with that problem? Can you buy different grips?

Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 AM   #18

Liked 34 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankous

Right On! Ever run into the problem finding a gun you like such as reliability,sights, etc. but it didn't really fit your hand? How would I deal with that problem? Can you buy different grips?
I had this problem, with a Glock. I really liked the sights, the trigger, and I shot it really well. The problem was it never felt comfortable in my hand, so I bought and XD9 instead.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #19
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16882 Times on 9780 Posts
Likes Given: 44023

find a pistol that fits your hand well, because how well a pistol fits your hand will translate into how well you shoot it accurately. and if you can't hit accurately with it, it's useless. when you find one that fits you, practice, practice and then practice some more. also practice on a regular basis to stay profficient with it. shooting skills can deteriorate rapidly if you don't practice on aregular basis. find and use ammo that functions well in your pistol. don't worry about whether one brand is better than another, because most SD ammo is more or less the same and it really matters that the ammo functions rather than one brand expands more or penetrates further. try different brands of ammo and find what shoots reliabily and groups the best out of those that do work reliabily.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Why ignore my comment sigma and hi point are cheap low quality handguns. He said glock or s&w. I personally wouldn't take advise from anyone that calls a polymer gun plastic. I guarantee that a 1911 won't take more abuse than one.