this is going to be a USED GUN~ - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > this is going to be a USED GUN~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Kahr makes some decent guns for affordable prices. And they're small for carrying. Personally I don't like how they feel but that's in my own hand and I know a lot of guys that love them. How do you feel about a .40 cal? A guy I know recently bought a compact .40S&W Kahr for roughly 350 brand new and he loves it.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #12

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Get a NEW S&W Sigma in .40 S&W caliber. Then get someone to do an trigger job on it.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #13

Liked 1433 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Come on Canebrake... help a new shooter out. There are some good used 9mm out there he can afford...lend your experience! He can't afford the best but give him your advice so he gets something that will work.
Look, a used gun (unless you know the owner and the gun) is someone's problem child. A cheap gun is a cheap gun. Cheap is as dangerous to the shooter as to the shootee. Everyone on this forum knows me and my biases’. I have no second agenda and there are very few bipeds out there that stand a chance to change my mind. I do not buy a gun for fun, I buy it for its utility and in my case I always ask, “Will it defend me unquestionably and unconditionally?” I use considerable resolve in gun selection and once purchased, should it prove unreliable, it will be fixed or get relegated to safe dust collector status. (I don’t resell my guns.) When the gun is running to my expectations, then and only then will the fun kick in!
There are several good used gun deals out there but they ALL will be snapped up by savvy (read; experienced) gun dealers/buyers. Noobs are the proverbial babes-in-the-woods. Without help they won’t win and generally exit with a bad experience of gun ownership.
The combination of inexperience and low budget only exacerbate the enviable negative outcome. Now throw in the use of emotion rather than intellect to steer the buy decision and, well just call in the paramedics! This is a train wreck looking for a gun shop to crash!
First time gun buyers with little experience need to buy a gun that comes with factory support. The manufacturers’ love noobies and will provide the customer support required/expected to retain them as a customer.

Buying a first gun following the canebrake guidelines will require, at minimum $650. The cost of gun ownership is not the price of the gun! Read that over again! The cost of gun ownership is not the price of the gun! A rule of thumb for the first time buyer is to expect to spend 70% of your budget for the gun. The remaining 30% will be spent on the following; Ammo, cleaning kit and supplies, additional mags, tools, lock, gun rag, range bag and on and on…….. You will say, “I can skimp on some of those..” NOT, Trust me on this one, NOT! You WILL spend the 30% PLUS!

With my $650 budget you will have ~$450 for gun shopping. That will get you into a quality gun. Here’s what I suggest: (All from Bud's Gun Shop, Lexington, KY. I've purchased from them and you can trust this dealer! Call and ask for Gurney, he will put you in the right gun! Figure to add $50 for FFL transfer.)

$412 https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/12735

$412 https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13342

$427 https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/17256

$433 https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/30691

$450 https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13344

$465 https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/18175

shooters, I only want your first sortie into gun ownership to be a positive one. You came here for advice, this is my offering.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
In your price range you can get a top of the line Airsoft.
You made me choke on my coffee. Jerk.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #15

Liked 1433 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
You made me choke on my coffee. Jerk.
Just don't blow some guy named Beer on your computer!

I guess another member did that?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm going with canebrake on this one. If your buying a gun for nothing but personal protection, you want it to go BANG EVERY time. Like cane mentioned, if you can find a 9mm or 45 for under $400, there is something wrong with it and pawning it off was easier or cheaper than having it fixed. Although it isn't impossible, it is very rare to find someones "gingerly used" old protection buddy that still goes BANG EVERY time. If a gun works perfect, the owner is going to keep it.

Most used guns that are in my dealers display case, IMO, are usually someone buying on impulse and trading it in after 100 rounds because they don't like the feel of it. The gun shops are going to resell it as "Like New" and charge close to MSRP. In that case, your better off buying brand new and getting a lifetime warranty.

Every gun I have bought, except for one which was handed down to me, was bought brand new and I couldn't be happier. I like knowing things like, it has been cleaned perfect every time, how many times it has been dropped, and what ammo and how much has been through it.

Sorry to change the subject but on a side story, my first gun purchase was a M&P 40. Although its not THE BEST (and tupperware, shut up cane), its still my first and I love it to death. I have put 3000+ rounds through it and have taken very good care of it. There isn't one scratch, nick, ding, or blemish on the exterior and still looks like its from the factory. My neighbor came over one day, I asked him if he ever wanted to go shooting, he asked if he could see what I have for guns, I showed him my M&P, he fumbled it (just holding onto it) did a "one, two, three" attempt to catch it (I had my eyes closed at this point) and he dropped it on my semi-new wood floor..... I'm not going shooting with him. Ever.

ANYWAYS, look at the guns cane suggested. They are very good deals and although I have never personally shot a XD (another gun thats illegal in MA) they are a quality product and will go BANG EVERY time. Did I stress the BANG EVERY time enough?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If you're looking for a low cost, well made no frills .45 1911 go with Rock Island Armory. They also have customer service as good as any large manufacturer and better than most. Bought one for my son several years ago and he's put all makes of ammo down range with never a hiccup. About $350.00 + -. But remember, a 1911 is a big gun for daily carry.

... ed ...
MAINE - The Way Life Should Be ...

Old 02-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #18

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

shooter,

A carry gun should be one you trust to go bang EVERY time. Revolvers do this better than semis, as long as it is a well made and kept pistol. For me, a carry pistol should also be light enough to carry comfortably. It is hard to find a revolver in larger calibers that are not heavy and bulky in that price range. I've done lots of searching, and I have found Budsgunshop to have good prices on good firearms. For a used gun, usually police trade-ins are well kept and has not had a high number of rounds through it. Cane has good advice there and links for you. (See Cane can be serious and informative when he wants to be.)

Good luck, and let us know what you get.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #19

I agree with skullcrusher that a revolver - .38 Spl. - would be an excellent choice. A small S&W J-frame or a Charter Arms or Ruger can all be found in your price range.

I do not agree that used guns are someone's problem child. I own quite a few guns. My carry gun, my hunting rifle and my target pistols were all purchased used. The Gold Cup I bought used in 1981 has given me 25+ years of faithful service. My used Hi Standard .22 Trophy is the most reliable automatic I've ever owned.

I'm sure others will agree. Yes, there are lemons out there, but many used guns (as dnthmn2004 mentioned) still have years of good service ahead of them.