this is going to be a USED GUN~
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > this is going to be a USED GUN~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default this is going to be a USED GUN~

this is going to be a big firestorm?..... this is going to be a USED GUN~

my wife is letting me buy a handgun but!!
its only going to be used for self defense.. so i am going to carry it every day!! i love 9mm or .45acp only

my question is my price range is $ 150-350 what brand do you all like and had good experience with with no problems and no recals...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What is your experience with firearms? What are your interests in the weapon? What do you want the "ideal" weapon to be? Revolver? Semi Auto?

Help us help you....

JD

Old 02-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #3

semi or wheel?

i can use a .45 acp very well alos a 9mm

Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

With out knowing your experience but understanding your budget your going to have a hard time finding a good 45 in that price range. Even in the 9mm price range your going to be at the top end to get a good pistol. I would suggest the Ruger P series (P93) would be my choice but if you want something a bit lighter the P95 has a polly frame. These are used pistols so it's important to have them check out. I can't think of a good 9mm for a $350 price tag new. Who knows some member might offer up one.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:24 AM   #5

Not a whole lot I can recommend in your price range.

Spanish-made Star automatics are good used guns for the money. The Star BKM 9mm and the Star PD (.45 ACP) are decent carry guns. I've owned both over the years without any problems.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooters View Post
....my price range is $ 150-350 what brand do you all like and had good experience with with no problems and no recals...
In your price range you can get a top of the line Airsoft.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-12-2009, 12:42 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
In your price range you can get a top of the line Airsoft.
Come on Canebrake... help a new shooter out. There are some good used 9mm out there he can afford...lend your experience! He can't afford the best but give him your advice so he gets something that will work.

Another suggestion would be a S&W 669, that might exceed the budget but it's close.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:49 AM   #8

150 - 350 Well their are some concerns about the price range, first understand that to get a good pocket gun at that price it wont be from a local gun store. You might want to go to Gunbroker.com to get one in your price range. Also understand that even if you get one cheap your still looking at a total of $90 for all the transfer fees, gunlock, paperwork Ect... it might take a while for something to come to the local gun shop to match your $$$ that will be dependable. Just save a lil more money and get the real deal handguns, for a comfortable pocket pistol I recommend the 7 shot 32 caliber Beretta tomcat. Very easily concealable and might forget its their in your pocket plus its a good beginners gun.......well beginners handgun.

Glock 27 carrier

Last edited by 40CalComfort; 02-12-2009 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Shhhhh

Old 02-12-2009, 03:12 AM   #9

My brother just bought a S&W 9mm at a gun show for $300, in my opinion that's definitely good bang for the buck, but hey, I'm just the new guy.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:48 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My cousin gave me the original "Crunchenticker" S&W Model 39 for Christmas. Value around $250-300. I hate to say this(being a happy Kimber guy) but I like it. Double action pull is smooth and light, single action pull is very crisp after initial take-up, and it feels GREAT in my hand. I've never liked the feel of a Smith before. If I seriously think I need a weapon I'll carry my .45, or more likely my .357 but I wouldn't hesitate to pack this (previously abhorred) 9mm if I didn't have either of the other two. It's a good gun, shoots easy and hits where it's aimed. And I know they can be had at reasonable prices. Last gun show in Wasilla a guy was trying to sell 2 nickel-plated model 59s, consecutive #s for $750. I made the lovely Mrs Freefall pass because "Who wants a 9mm crunchenticker?"