Go to Gun - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Go to Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If I had to leave with only 1 handgun and didn't need to focus on it being the typical HD home intruder type scenario, but more of a planned field carry for whatever situation arose, i would grab my Beretta 92fs 9mm

My reasons:
- good capacity - 15+1
- Simple to maintain in the field
- reliable
- adequate knockdown power
- can bum rounds or spare parts off just about any GI unit you may bump into
- common caliber that shoudl be found easily if I have to scrounge

Old 04-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #32

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I though about this on & off all day and I finally decided it would be a high cap 9mm, either my Sig P228 or the Taurus PT92. Since I have 20 & 18 round mags for the Taurus - that's the logical choice. Ammo made the decision for me as I can carry twice the 9mm rounds in the same space & weight as .45 rounds. It's really funny that the Taurus is actually the cheapest gun I own by far but it really does serve a purpose. Since it's railed, I'd slap on the TLR-2 as a light/laser couldn't hurt either...

Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #33
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A truly great post. One I pondered often and decided if it happened the best firearm is the one I carry on a regular basis as it would already be with me and has become second nature to have on my my person or in my hand. For me it would be a 45, light weight, hi cap mags, night sights and a rail for a light. The S&W M&P 45 fit that bill and is my cary pistol. Not a pretty 45 but a firearm that will do the job well day to day or if bad days come IMHO.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:29 AM   #34

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I've got more guns than I know what to do with. But in the scenario you describe it would be a Glock17.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #35

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I've got more guns than I know what to do with. But in the scenario you describe it would be a Glock17.
It doesn't surprise me that you chose a basic reliable shooter just like I did. Yes, it's nice to have a choice and even utilitarian guns have a place in every collection. As someone that rotates their collection quite often, I do try to make sure I have all the "roles" filled. The M&P .40 I recently added fills this same role, tough, reliable, good capacity, and a gun I wouldn't be reticent to abuse...

Old 04-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #36
P90

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My go to gun stays on me all the time. The only other gun I would grab would be a long gun, and which one would depend on the situation.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #37

Does my handgun caliber carbine count

33rds of 9mm and very short sub2k

pistol M&P though 17+1 and I shoot it well.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #38

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post
If I had to leave with only 1 handgun and didn't need to focus on it being the typical HD home intruder type scenario, but more of a planned field carry for whatever situation arose, i would grab my Beretta 92fs 9mm

My reasons:
- good capacity - 15+1
- Simple to maintain in the field
- reliable
- adequate knockdown power
- can bum rounds or spare parts off just about any GI unit you may bump into
- common caliber that shoudl be found easily if I have to scrounge
As much as I like my 1911s. Mine would be my 92FS as well, for capacity sake alone. As I own five 20 round Mec-gar Optium mags and three 15 round beretta mags for it. My 1911s are just a reliable (my 92 as well as my 1911s has never jammed) but I'd rather have 20+1 ready to go then 8+1. It is currently serving as my HD gun.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 04-02-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #39

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
It doesn't surprise me that you chose a basic reliable shooter just like I did. Yes, it's nice to have a choice and even utilitarian guns have a place in every collection. As someone that rotates their collection quite often, I do try to make sure I have all the "roles" filled. The M&P .40 I recently added fills this same role, tough, reliable, good capacity, and a gun I wouldn't be reticent to abuse...
I categorize my guns.

"Fun guns", and "Serious use guns". The "Fun guns" come and go, but the "Serious use guns" don't go anywhere.

"Fun guns" are also known as "Ballistic wampum".

Do you have a single (or couple) gun(s) that stay(s), no matter what? Or do they all get rotated?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #40

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd have to go with my Glock 30. That's the one I shoot best with and most comfortable with.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.