Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Go to Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Easy... My M47 Medusa... it doesnt really matter what ammo i grab....

Old 03-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #22

If the SHTF and I have to get outta Dodge and I have time to grab a handgun, then I'd have time to grab my "GO" bag which always has my Ruger Mark II and a half dozen mags (It'll keep me eating). My BHP with half dozen mags (Reliable and easy to find ammo) and I'm always wearing a 1911 and there's a half dozen extra mags for it in the go bag.

ROMANS 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.!
US ARMY - '56 to '65 - SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!
SUA SPONTE

Old 03-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Knife? :)

Interesting question... I was thinking about it a while. If there was a raging tsunami about to wipe away my house and on end of the room was my pistol and on the other end was my knife and I could only rescue one before the wave hit, I think I'd grab my knife. My dad gave me my first pocket knife at 6, but I didn't shoot a real firearm (outside of BB guns) until I was almost 12. Forty years later and I'm still a lot more confident with a knife than with a pistol. I can use a knife right or left-handed but with pistols I am much more practiced using the right hand. It's funny too.. I won't name a particular knife because I'm comfortable with almost every knife I own .

If I did have to choose a single pistol though, it would be the Glock 17 or Glock 19, only because that's what I practice with most often.

(Oh.. I'm big on the 10,000 hour rule. It's the idea that to be masterly proficient at any skill, you need to put in at least 10,000 hours of practice. I'm there with the knife, but not even a fifth of the way there with the pistol. One day I'd like to reach a point where the actual pistol doesn't matter to how well I shoot.)

Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
I'd have to go with my 4" GP100... Makes sense to me to grab a handgun that can shoot 38s or 357s.
Same for me too, since the OP said pistols only. If rifles were included I would take my M1 carbine.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Nice question, it had me thinking between a 1911 or the sigma in .40, I think I would go with the sigma because of magazine capacity and the fact that if somthing happens to it, it wont be expensive to replace all the while my other guns will be safe in the safe ( hopefully ).

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 03-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have two handguns, both 1911's. I plan on carrying the Kimber rather than the Sistema. In a SHTF situation, I should already be carrying it.

If we're talking long guns, then my Mini 14 gets the duty.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #27

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Hanging on my bed post is my BIB. It has a bunch of must-have items for a short stint. It includes my BHP and several loaded mags. The primary flap is left open and my muscle memory is honed to reach in and pluck a ready-to-rock, 15+1 9mm "Felon Repellent" in the middle of the night.

The Browning would be my go-to-gun!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #28

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
This thread is for folks that have a handgun "collection" as if you only have 1 or 2 it's probably already decided. Do you have a "go to gun"? This is the one you'd grab if the SHTF and you only had time to grab a single gun and ammo. I saw this question posed on another forum and I really didn't have an answer so I've been thinking about it this morning.

I love 1911s and have a half dozen of them but in a 1 gun situation it may be nice to have more capacity. I love .45 as well but I could carry more ammo (weight and space wise) with a smaller caliber. I wouldn't want something that is picky about ammo at all because you may be forced to use ammo you wouldn't normally buy like the steel cased Russian stuff. Would the gun you grab have night sights and/or a rail mounted light/laser? How about plastic versus steel versus alloy as you may not be able to care for your "friend" as diligently as you normally would?

I really don't have this quandary with rifles as I only have 2 and they are the same caliber anyway. I'd grab the AR versus the Mini 14 simply because I have more mags and I've shot it more. I'm still undecided about which of my handguns I'd grab right now so I thought this would make an interesting topic to discuss on a rainy Thursday...
Love to carry my 1911s but when things go bump in the night the handgun I reach for is the HK P2000 .40S&W. There are 6 loaded mags sitting next to it. The wife has a P2000SK in the same caliber in her night stand.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Tough call for me, since i only have a small number of handguns and am emotionally attached to most of them. I am not into long hikes or intending to bug way out if out at all, but if i had to bug OUT, i would want to take XD45 but would probably take the CZ75b instead. I simply have more mags and more ammo for it. I also think 9mm will be more plentiful than 45ACP in scavenging circles.

I would really have a hard time leaving the GP100 behind; i would have to leave a note regarding its proper care and feeding.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:28 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My only option right now is a. 44 mag Raging Bull. I might consider an accurate 1911 chambered in 10mm, though. It wouldnt be as powerful and likelynot as accurate, but it would be better concealable and give a little more firepower.