Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > glock vs xd vs beretta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 03:13 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'm liking that Ruger .22LR you have there. I've been wanting to get one of those for awhile now.

How does it shoot?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:25 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
I'm liking that Ruger .22LR you have there. I've been wanting to get one of those for awhile now.

How does it shoot?
the ruger shoots just fine being a .22. however its not the most reliable gun in the world (probably partially due to the shoddy workmanship on the federal .22 non-jacketed rounds i shoot) but it does jam on occassion, especially when i first got it. it does it a lot less now that it is broken in. outside of that it shoots great. its very accurate, the trigger is alright, safety works great, magazine is easy to load and overall its just a fun little pistol

it is a little bit of a pain to field strip and give a good cleaning but its not too bad. I actually got it just to have something to target shoot cheaply and for my fiance to shoot. the .357 was a bit too much for her to handle haha.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:28 AM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, I'm trying to find a nice little .22LR autoloader pistol for weekly trips to the range. Even though 9mm is cheap is still hurts my wallet if I go once a week to the range (I need to get promoted...lol)

Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #24

Default Fellow Glock Haters Seek Haven Here

Now let me try and reform you a little.

I too once upon a time hated Glock pistols. Being a former machinist turned gun plumber I despise things made of plastic that should be made from steel.

Steel rocks, plastic sucks.

Ok, enough on that.

Then in June of 2006 I went to work as a security contractor in Iraq. I've been here ever since and on my right hip is a Glock 19 issued to me by the agency I work for. It is bone stock except for the grip tape I added to the sides cause my hands get slippery in 130F temperatures.

I've shot this same gun for 2 years and 9 months. I've put over 20,000 rounds through it. I don't clean it very often and when I do its half ass. I decided long ago that I planned on abusing this pistol just so I could see for myself if Glocks measured up to the reputation.

Well, kills me to say it but they do. The only part I've replaced is the slide lock and that was due to the little spring getting bent to piss one day. (still don't know why)

The pistol rarely malfunctions and when it does its usually shooter induced. (I do suffer from the occasional stovepipe when I'm trying to shoot at ludicrous speed.)

A Glock is about as simple as it gets. If its loaded you pull the trigger and it goes bang. If you don't pull the trigger it won't go bang. You can drive over it, throw it, hit someone with it, pee on it. doesn't care. It still won't go bang.

Revert to rule #1 of the 4 cardinal rules of firearms safety.

1. Do not touch trigger until you intend to fire.

If you follow that simple rule the button safety switch thingy that so many crave becomes kinda redundant and silly.

It's also a potential liability because it is one more thing to do should you ever have to use this instrument in an application of lethal force.

How much training can you realistically commit to? 20,000 rounds worth over three years? Probably not so it begs the question:

Why get something complicated when simple does the job?

That's my two cents.

Good luck with your decision.

Chad

Chad Dixon
Armorer, Chief Firearms Instructor
Baghdad Embassy Security Force
US Embassy, Baghdad Iraq

A picture is worth a thousand words right?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #25

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

It seems the Glock works well for you, and that's good.

You can keep the Glock pistols, though. I have given them a fair chance, and they have failed on an epic scale for me.

I would recommend that you clean your sidearm a little more. Better to have something that is clean when you need it, then something that is a little dirty or "half ass" in your words. Take care of your sidearm and it will take care of you.

I don't think your stovepipes that you experienced are from you shooting at a fast speed. The Glock will cycle faster than anyone will ever be able to pull the trigger (i.e. see Glock 18 full auto).

Good luck in Iraq, and stay safe.

P.S. Clean your sidearm properly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #26

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:

You can keep the Glock pistols, though. I have given them a fair chance, and they have failed on an epic scale for me.

What happened??? I thought you just got that Glock?

JD

Old 03-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #27

You can keep the Glock pistols, though. I have given them a fair chance, and they have failed on an epic scale

Sorry I am late, how did it it/they fail?
The XDs in 9mm i have seen all run fine. The other calibers seem to have issue from time to time. Now to be fair that is as they heat up ( say 200-250 rounds ).
The Beretta would be ok if it was SAO or DAO and if the decocker was on the frame instead of the slide. Hope that helps.

Jay

Old 03-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Dillinger, I guess you missed my thread on it.

The Glock 21 that I got not too long ago, developed a crack in the feed ramp on the barrel. That is an epic fail in my book, especially from a company that brags about "Glock Perfection"

I got a Ruger P95PR in it's place. It's not a 45, but I already posted how I shot with it during it's initial test run. In my opinion, I would rather go to war with Ruger rather than Glock anyday.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #29

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Dillinger, I guess you missed my thread on it.

The Glock 21 that I got not too long ago, developed a crack in the feed ramp on the barrel. That is an epic fail in my book, especially from a company that brags about "Glock Perfection"

I got a Ruger P95PR in it's place. It's not a 45, but I already posted how I shot with it during it's initial test run. In my opinion, I would rather go to war with Ruger rather than Glock anyday.
I did miss that. I was thinking about your thread in The Bunker and hadn't seen the failure.

That totally sucks and I am 100% behind your decision. That is NOT the type of thing that one just simply ignores and orders a replacement.

Sorry to hear bro...

JD

Old 03-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #30

That is too bad. If you sent it to Glock i wonder if they would swap it out.
Sometimes if it is a used gun thats had a ton of crazy hot handloads through it might explain it.

Jay