Glock vs. S&W.. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Glock vs. S&W..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey_emt View Post
The best advice that anyone could give would be to shoot (or at least hold) the .40 S&W pistols from all of the major manufacturers.

Glock 22 / 23
S&W M&P 40 / SD40
Ruger SR40
SIG Sauer P226 / P229 / P250
Springfield XD-40 / XD(m)-40
Beretta Px4 Storm
CZ 75 B / 75 P-06 / 75 P-07 Duty / 75 SP-01
FN Herstal FNX-40 / FNP-40
HK USP / P2000
Walther P99 / PPQ / PPX

All of these are great guns that are built to last and are reliable. There is no "best" one, only the best choice for you. Only by shooting them or holding them in your hands will you be able to figure out which one fits your hands, requirements, and budget the best.

You can get more info, photos, and specs on each of the guns listed above (and others) at:

http://whichgun.com/pistols/type:compact,full-size/caliber:40-sw/sort_by:name.
The USP is the best on the list. Please refer to my past posts on my argument of why HK is the best. Oh, someone said Glock always fires. That is BS. If you have to shoot limp wristed, it will cause the second round casing to fail to eject. I have seen this numerous times. I see FTF on Glocks at the range, especially on Gen4s. Look inside a USP and you will see better materials and design. You will see an awesome recoil reducing spring. USP is a full size battle pistol made for war by a company who dominates the arms industry. USP is the essence of a genuine nail driving polymer gun.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #32

Default Glock vs S&W

The S&W is softer shooting than the Glock.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #33

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncaguy View Post
Main reason I'd go with the Glock ,and I've had both, is My Glock 22 is a 40 caliber, but I have 9mm and 357 Sig barrels for it. Barrels were $100 each and shot very well with no problems and good accuracy.
Recoil is with the M&P though.
I've read this post a half-dozen times and it's still a challenge to understand. You're saying that you'd go with a Glock because you can switch from 40S&W to 357 SIG? That's not really any different than the Sig's or M&P's. I've had 357 Sig barrels for my Sig P226 and I have a 9mm conversion barrel for my M&P 40L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47bob View Post
Glock all the way. And in a fire fight, you don't have to worry about jamming.
A rather naive assumption. While Glocks are generally reliable, so are M&P's, Sig's, XD's & XDm's, Beretta's, etc. I've seen just as many Glocks jam in IDPA matches as any of the others, with the obvious exception being the 1911's. Even revolvers aren't perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
The USP is the best on the list. Please refer to my past posts on my argument of why HK is the best. Oh, someone said Glock always fires. That is BS. If you have to shoot limp wristed, it will cause the second round casing to fail to eject. I have seen this numerous times. I see FTF on Glocks at the range, especially on Gen4s. Look inside a USP and you will see better materials and design. You will see an awesome recoil reducing spring. USP is a full size battle pistol made for war by a company who dominates the arms industry. USP is the essence of a genuine nail driving polymer gun.
H&K makes good guns alright, but I'm not buying the argument that they are the best or that the HK USP dominates the industry. Sig P226's, Beretta 92's, 1911's are all proven battle guns - and the M&P is very likely to be the next USA service sidearm, making it the latest generation of battle gun.

Since weight isn't an issue with a nightstand gun, I prefer a stainless gun for absorbing recoil.

As for being a nail driver for home defense? A snub-nosed revolver is plenty accurate enough for shooting across a room, especially with a CT laser.

FYI, fancy recoil springs are available for most guns. Some of my guns came with one, like my Kahr PM40 & Sig X-Five Tactical. I bought one for some of the others like my P226 and 1911's. Frankly, I can't tell the difference and have switched to flatwire springs when possible.

The bottom line is that any reliable handgun can serve well as a nightstand gun. IMHO, I'd rather have an inexpensive but reliable gun such as a Ruger SR45 and spend $300-400 on a laser & Surefire light than spend the whole wad on a high end gun that is theoretically technically superior. I use a Sig P226 Elite Stainless because I'd retired it from IDPA competition, so it was looking for work anyway. OTOH, I've been shifting from 40 to 45 recently, so it may well get replaced in the near future.

or Taurus that's equipped with a

Larger calibers are better, and

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Olympic fox, I did not say USP dominates the industry. I said HK. They have sold more guns to LEOs around the world then any other manufactures. They have made record breaking contracts with DHS.

In 2004, Heckler & Koch was awarded a major handgun contract for the DHS, worth a potential $26.2 million for up to 65,000 handguns.[4] This contract ranks as the single largest handgun procurement contract in US law enforcement history.

They have benn contracted in researching next generation rifles for the US military (kinetic energy rifles). They have contracts with British, US and German anti-terrorist and SFs. They worked with Colt to make the HK 416. They also make the grenade launcher system for the US military rifle. They have sold guns in the majority of modern conflicts to both good and not so good governments.

The Colt 1911 is not the same gun as it was back when it was a service pistol. The gun use to have very loose parts so that it can work with foreign objects in the guns workings. Sort of like an AK. Today's 1911 have been tightened up inside which makes it not viable for harsh conditions. The gun will jam. This was done to make it more appealing to public market and comp shooting. That s also why they can be pretty expensive. It was perfected to meet a different need.

Barettas suck on the battlefield! They effing jam and have gotten troops killed because the placement of safety on slide. Soldiers have panicked when they accidentally engaged the safety when they pulled back on the slide. Parts break easily and sand ****s up mechanism.

My other gun is a 226 and I love it to death. I kick ass with it in competitions and the Navy SFs like them. But the Seals also use HK pistols and assault rifles. Why? Because of their ability to survive harsh environments. The Seals have to clean their 226s after each nautical use or they rust and jam. HK pistols have shown more resilience in this environment.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #35

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

HKs suck. Get a little concrete to dry in the barrel and it will never fire again. What a piecs of junk.
All firearms will stand up to the elements not matter the brand. The trick is what you use on the gun. No more. Use some Militec and your have a gun that you gan expose to salt water and the thing will not rust.

Are you like an HK salesman or something. You sound just like the freaks over there at Glock that says that Glocks will never fail on the battle field, if they do send it back and they will give you a newq gun the be put in the ground with. The reason that the Military uses HK is because they are cheap. The same reason why the used berreta and Clock and every other one. Someone made a deal for alot of guns and a largely discounted rate. Thats all, nothing more.

Why Would I Be Paranoid, I'm the One With The Gun.

"Just a man and his jug settling an old fued"
-Me-

Old 03-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #36
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

I hope this is not a brand war brewing. Only bad things come of these: broken chairs, glass all over the floor, bloodied noses. It's not pretty people.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 03-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #37

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I hope this is not a brand war brewing. Only bad things come of these: broken chairs, glass all over the floor, bloodied noses. It's not pretty people.
I thought I did a pretty good job of the situation. LOL
All guns suck and they are all unreliable. If concrete is poured into a barrel and left to set-up the firearm is useless.
Why can't they come out with and H-Strum-Glock and Wesson-CZ KimbSauer and be done with it. Good luck fighting over who's gun is better then, uh!

Why Would I Be Paranoid, I'm the One With The Gun.

"Just a man and his jug settling an old fued"
-Me-

Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6559 Times on 3655 Posts
Likes Given: 6202

IIRC, the OP asked "Glock or S&W?"

Where did Hk, Taurus, 1911 etc come into the discussion???

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #39

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Olympic fox, I did not say USP dominates the industry. I said HK. They have sold more guns to LEOs around the world then any other manufactures. They have made record breaking contracts with DHS.

In 2004, Heckler & Koch was awarded a major handgun contract for the DHS, worth a potential $26.2 million for up to 65,000 handguns.[4] This contract ranks as the single largest handgun procurement contract in US law enforcement history.
Since when was a government contract to buy anything an indicator of quality? Government procurement is fraught with graft & politics - quality is rarely the key factor in procurement decisions.

Quote:
The Colt 1911 is not the same gun as it was back when it was a service pistol. The gun use to have very loose parts so that it can work with foreign objects in the guns workings. Sort of like an AK. Today's 1911 have been tightened up inside which makes it not viable for harsh conditions. The gun will jam. This was done to make it more appealing to public market and comp shooting. That s also why they can be pretty expensive. It was perfected to meet a different need.
I qualified Expert with an M1911A1 for 20+ years, so I sort of familiar with the MilSpec version. I also own a Springfield Custom, Ed Brown, 2 Nighthawks, 5 Dan Wessons. 2 Kimbers and a Sig 1911 so I'm sort of familiar with the modern enhanced versions, too, especially the upper end models. Since I'm no longer involved in battlefield conditions, I'm not concerned about how well my 1911's operate while groveling around in a jungle or the desert. I am concerned about how well they function in CCW use as well as in action pistol sports. All of my 45ACP 1911's function flawlessly, only the 9mm models need an occasional bump on the back of the slide to go all the way into battery. But that says a whole lot more about life an 8# recoil spring than any faults with the gun.

Quote:
My other gun is a 226 and I love it to death. I kick ass with it in competitions and the Navy SFs like them. But the Seals also use HK pistols and assault rifles. Why? Because of their ability to survive harsh environments. The Seals have to clean their 226s after each nautical use or they rust and jam. HK pistols have shown more resilience in this environment.
In addition to my years in the military, I spent nearly 20 years in the fire service. The point is that anyone that's halfway competent in either special forces or emergency services spends considerable time maintaining their equipment. Only a fool takes it for granted that any piece of equipment is OK today because it was OK the last time they checked it. Defensive guns get the same respect. They get exercised regularly, and are ALWAYS inspected, cleaned, lubed before being placed back in service.

While I don't check my equipment before a practice session at the range, but you can be certain that it is thoroughly cleaned and checked before a match.

In other words, I'm certain that every Special Forces soldier cleans ALL of their equipment after every mission, marine or desert. Certainly, some equipment - helicopters come to mind - are more maintenance intensive than others. The bigger question is how well the piece of equipment performs the mission it is tasked with. I suspect the Sig P226 Mk25 (aka Navy) does it's job well. I'm also certain that other pistols are similarly capable, or could be readily made so.

Unless you are personally involved in activities that challenge the reliability and/or service life of a pistol, then pretty much any contemporary pistol from any major manufacturer is capable of serving well.

The OP was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latietz View Post
Hi. I am going to get my first .40 cal. After many 9 mm and two .45 autos. I am leaning towards a Glock but saw a S&W that looked nice. Any advice? Thanks.
Again, my advice is to get what you like the best.

Our experience after owning a number of 40s - 3 Sig P226's, Kahr P40 & PM40, S&W M&P 40c & 40L, and a Glock 27 - is that we are phasing out the 40's in favor of either 9mm or 45. The idea was to have a power of a 40 in a 9mm-sized gun. Unfortunately, the result is increased recoil that makes practice less than pleasant and shooting the small 40 rapidly and accurately is difficult. So, the sub-compacts in our arsenal are 9mm. Once you've crossed the threshold to a 3.25" barrel & just-barely-full-grip, then the 45 works better than the 40. We did some back-to-back comparison testing with our Kahr 3" PM40 & 3.5" P40 vs. the 45-caliber SA XDS and Sig 1911 Ultra. Those two 45s are softer shooting and significantly easier to shoot accurately while shooting quickly. Of course, if you just want a 40 to add to the collect, I can understand that. And if that's the case, then the issue of personal preference becomes even more important.

Bottom line?

You gotta do what you like best. I might think you're crazy, but if it's what you like, then go for it.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Old 03-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2072 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by latietz View Post
Hi. I am going to get my first .40 cal. After many 9 mm and two .45 autos. I am leaning towards a Glock but saw a S&W that looked nice. Any advice? Thanks.
I have been required to use the Glock for MANY years. I now have the S&W M&P and like it A LOT better than the Glock. But to each his own!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!