Is Glock the Prince - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is Glock the Prince

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Glocks are over-rated and over-priced. Doent even have a safety, which has been a problem sometimes when the weapon is holstered and a round is tripped into the leg of the shooter.
Why not look into the Springfield XD or XDm pistols? Among other features they have a small grip safety which must be depressed before it will fire. Easier on the leg! The XDm Is a very refined targetised hand gun. 13 rounds in .45, 20 in 9mmP. I am getting one myself when I recover financially after shooting and handling a buddy's pistol. Jus sayin

Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #22

Liked 1082 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 1095

Millions of rounds are fired through Glocks with no KBs. If there was a serious problem law enforcement and the military around the globe wouldn't use Glock. Glocks don't like unjacketed bullets, well lots of barrels lead up if you use the wrong bullets. There is inherent danger in firing any firearm so you learn how to operate the gun safely, protect yourself and others as best you can and you use quality ammo.

We're all free to buy what we want. Glock is an excellent choice but if you don't like Glock there are plenty of other fine choices.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3164 Times on 1589 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap View Post
I am new to firearms and enjoying learning. I have quickly noticed people are very passionate about their Glocks. Is it that it’s that good a pistol or is it one of those things where guys just like them? I feel left out; I am considering renting one at the range so I can say me too.
Why does everyone like them? Do they shoot really well, reliable or what. It’s the only handgun I seem to have noticed everyone seems to like and talks about. And my friends either have one or want one.
What’s the deal???
It's a big world out there. Glock is one brand among many. In the 80s they were the new, cool kid in town. Mostly because they were the first polymer pistol to gain market acceptance (note: they were not the first polymer pistol maker, IIRC, it was H&K). As in other things, a lot has changed since the 80s. Glock isn't the only polymer game in town anymore. I would argue that the XD/XDm & the S&W M&P are just as good. They just haven't managed to capture as much of the LE and Gangsta Rapper market...yet.
FWIW, I only own one polymer pistol, an XD. I prefer metal frames with hammers, YMMV.

EDIT: Maybe one of the staff could put this in the HANDGUN section, just sayin'.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 02-01-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #24

Liked 1082 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 1095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
... Maybe one of the staff could put this in the HANDGUN section, just sayin'.
I think we can all agree on that!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #25

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Old fellow have you been asleep? The government always buys good guns. Good thing you were not in SE Asia in the 60s those M 16 were grand failures. How about the Berettes with the slides flying off? The list is long when the lowest bid gets the sale.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #26

Liked 1429 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

glock?......prince?..........by golly I think you're correct!

Would that then be "prince leg"?

Oh yea Durangokid remember, we went to the moon on "low bid"!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

First of all I'm not a Glock hater. Used to own one. Although I was careful what ammo I shot in it, for the following reason.

Glocks are prone to going KaBoom more than many other pistols due to their design. Glock barrels are machined with a very deep feed ramp, which cuts into the bottom of the breach. It means high reliability and easy feeding, but it also leaves part of the cartridge case unsupported. The pic below shows a Glock factory barrel on the right, and an aftermarket replacement barrel, made to correct this problem. You can clearly see how much of the case is exposed and unsupported in the Glock barrel. Now, in general this doesn't cause any major problems, provided you use commercial ammo, loaded below the max pressures. But even then it isn't uncommon to find spent brass from a Glock with a bulge at the base of the case. And in cases where the ammo is loaded to max pressures, especially with hot ammo like +P, there is a chance that the case will actually blow out, taking part of the gun with it. Many Glock KaBooms have come from hand loaded ammo with hotter than normal loads. And their .40 guns are more prone to blow outs than others, due to the higher pressures of the .40 cartridge.

supportedvsunsupportedglock.jpg  

Old 02-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #28

When I started looking at guns Glock was the first place I looked becuase so many people asked if that was what I was getting. I look at Glock as the Ford Mustang of the handgun world. If somebody said "What American sports car should I get?" MOST people would say Ford Mustang becuase of price, options, availability, etc. There are many other options out there that work better for a lot of folks but only one can be the most popular.

After picking up several different guns and getting input from friends and messageboards I decided on the Springfield XD and am very satisfied. I didn't like the grip angle and balance of the Glock and I don't think they look as good as many other brands. I am sure a Glock is a great gun becuase so many people use them. My father in law bought two so I will get to run one through its paces when I go visit. It just wasn't for me.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3657

I don't like trigger bar safeties.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6195 Times on 3262 Posts
Likes Given: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I own a Glock, I also own several other pistols. I prefer the revolvers over semi-autos myself, but it is only a marginal preference. I also prefer Ruger generally, but that's probably because I don't own any Colts and I don't own a 1911. I do own a couple of S&W revolvers, and I love 'em but the Rugers are my preference (again, by a thin margin). Beretta makes a fine pistol as well. I have fired many 1911's and really want to own one but none have come up in my price range so far.

The Glock wins against everything else on the market in durability hands down as far as I know. But I don't treat my guns (even the Glock) badly. Try one out and add it to your collection. Try other pistols out though, you might find that you like them as well.

Hipoints are far more durable than glocks. To kaboom a hipoint you gotta hammer a bolt into the muzzle fill the barrel with pistol gunpowder and Then set off the primer.

Glocks can barely fire standard loads without a kaboom

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Closed Thread