Is Glock the Prince - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is Glock the Prince

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8281 Times on 4786 Posts
Likes Given: 10713

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Dang! A man after my own heart. I like revolvers, too, and I only own two guns and they are both Rugers. I think I would like Colts and S&W but I haven't had much experience with either yet. I would love to own a Colt 1911. But, like Vikingdad, money always gets in the way of me having as much fun as I'd like.
I have a very strict policy of never selling a gun. I would consider trading, but never selling. That policy has served me well except for the fact that I have not yet found anybody who wants to trade my S&W 629 Classic 44 magnum for an equal value Springfield 1911. But I like my 629 and don't want to let it go, so I haven't advertised. Hopefully I will find a good 1911 when I have some money burning a hole in my pocket.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
... I only own two guns and they are both Rugers. I think I would like Colts and S&W but I haven't had much experience with either yet. I would love to own a Colt 1911...
Only two guns?!! Well at least you've got a good start with the Ruger Mark II and I guess the other Ruger is a revolver, WOC.

But you haven't lived until you get a S&W 357 (my favorite is the Model 19) and a Colt 1911! And a Browning Hi Power. And oh yeah, a Glock is ok too!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Glocks are not called "KB" KaBoom pistols for no reason. They Kaboom in your hand and its no fun. I will not stand near anyone on the range shooting one these guns.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb2.html
Durango, all of the instances you cite involve ammunition that is suspect at best. The first instance is reloads. the factory loads cited are copper plated. Stock Glock barrels will not tolerate copper plated or unjacketed projectiles. The article you cited is from over 10 years ago.

You absolutely must use fully jacketed projectiles in stock Glock pistols. There are after-market barrels available that will tolerate non-jacketed or plated projectiles.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #14

Likes Given: 1

Passion is a taste that is personal to you..

Sig, Glock, CZ, 1911's are wonderful weapons.. My 1960's Browning 9mm is a dog. My early '90's .22 Browning Buck Mark is wicked scary accurate.

Wanna learn to shoot relatively accurately relatively quickly?

Look for a S&W, Colt, Ruger, Taurus revolver.... somewhere twixt .38 Spl and .44 mag.

Should you have a .22 with a good trigger(or the best trigger you have in a smallest calibre you own), buy some cartridges.

I like to shoot balloons or clays. I shoot the best trigger lightest calibre first. Then in order I'll shoot the bad trigger before the most recoil. To end shoot the best triggered gun again.

Learn to run a revolver at 15 steps to as far as you are competent. At the farthest you move back and get confident, you would probably want to shoot some paper targets to see your groups.I've also killed 6 deer with an 8" Anaconda with red dot of so e type on top.

The use and lessons of a revolver will bring you into the use of a semiauto. The Mag releases, safeties were easier to use. Did the same with two Glocks, Sig. 228, Colt National Match, and a PPK/S.

At least, it worked for me.

Passion is a personal taste. Make mine a blue S&W revolver. Unless I wanna carry a Glock.

You shoot several hundred rounds: pick your own gun.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #15

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You made the point. These guns can only digest certain rounds. A gun that can not digest the calibers that is stamped on the slide can not live at my house. So far as 10 years ago, what has that to with anything. Check the Nat'l Pistol Shoot last Feb. One of them split the barrel during the shoot. These guns are dangerous period. Any time you have to decide what metal your bullets are made of before you shoot well?? They can not shoot lead. It is like feeding a baby except this baby will hurt you.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
You made the point. These guns can only digest certain rounds. A gun that can not digest the calibers that is stamped on the slide can not live at my house. So far as 10 years ago, what has that to with anything. Check the Nat'l Pistol Shoot last Feb. One of them split the barrel during the shoot. These guns are dangerous period. Any time you have to decide what metal your bullets are made of before you shoot well?? They can not shoot lead. It is like feeding a baby except this baby will hurt you.
OK, you don't like Glock. No problem there. The guns aren't dangerous per se, it is what you feed them. The stock Glock barrel rifling will get leaded up and apparently jam a bullet if you use plated or lead bullets. You can get after-market barrels that have rifling that will tolerate lead bullets and plated bullets.

Yes, if you are interested in safety and how well your gun can shoot you should absolutely pay attention to what you are feeding it. My Glock gets fed full jacketed bullets, some I cook myself and some are factory loads. I do not have an aftermarket barrel that is engineered for lead or plated bullets, so I don't use them.

Glock is not my preferred firearm, but it is a fine one in any case. If you use fully jacketed ammunition it will go "BANG" every time you pull the trigger. Damned good gun.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #17
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7117 Times on 4284 Posts
Likes Given: 8640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Only two guns?!! Well at least you've got a good start with the Ruger Mark II and I guess the other Ruger is a revolver, WOC.

But you haven't lived until you get a S&W 357 (my favorite is the Model 19) and a Colt 1911! And a Browning Hi Power. And oh yeah, a Glock is ok too!
I would love to add to my two but I'm quite limited by my funds. You see, I like to stay in my home, with heat and electricity. I also like having a phone and groceries. Those all take priority over guns. I would love a Colt 1911 and a S&W revolver. I also really want a Ruger LCR. We'll see what my tax return can do for me.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap View Post
I am new to firearms and enjoying learning. I have quickly noticed people are very passionate about their Glocks. Is it that it’s that good a pistol or is it one of those things where guys just like them? I feel left out; I am considering renting one at the range so I can say me too.
Why does everyone like them? Do they shoot really well, reliable or what. It’s the only handgun I seem to have noticed everyone seems to like and talks about. And my friends either have one or want one.
What’s the deal???
I wouldnt say that everyone likes them but hey To Each His Own

" TO EACH HIS OWN "

Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #19

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Wow they only take fmj! Thats weak as all get out. A gun should shoot any bullet in the caliber its made for.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
Wow they only take fmj! Thats weak as all get out. A gun should shoot any bullet in the caliber its made for.
He means they only digest jacketed (rather than plated) bullets. FMJ, JHP, JSP are apparently OK. I presume the Speer Gold Dot is OK even though it is technically plated, just thickly plated.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Closed Thread