Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Glock or M&P

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I would go with the glock.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
Thats the problem, I don't know anyone who owns these guns and we don't have a rental range near my town so I'm pretty much buying it blind. I'm most likely gonna go with the M&P 40 since it feels good in my chubby hands. (and the local police in my city issue the MP40)

I'm almost buying one blind too (few ranges around). However, guess I'm fortunate in that a Glock feels like the proverbial 'caulking gun' and just points all wrong to me...so at least that is easily ruled out.

Both the South Australian & Victorian police here have gone with the MP40 also.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 08-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
jbd

I own a Glock 23 and a M&P 9mm full size and for me the M&P is the way to go, but just like is stated above if you can hold and shoot both. I think you will find the M&P points more natural than the Glock. They both are well made guns and reliable. I have 10,000 plus rounds through Glock with no problems, I've owned it since 1999. I have 3,000 rounds through M&P with no problems, so I think you are ok with reliability on both. I think it will come down to fit and feel. Good luck and happy shooting.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I've been very happy with my MP 45. But there was never a question for me about buying a Glock. I'm still old fashioned enough to feel I should support American companies when I can. Nothing more American then having a Smith & Wesson strapped on your side.

10x10_smithwesson-logo_v01.jpg  

Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you have to buy them without shooting them, go with your first impression about how the gun feels in your hand, how the gun points for you, and how the trigger press feels to you.

My choice would be Glock, but that is because I have 16 years carrying Glocks and have been through extensive firearms training with Glock pistols. I like the Smith, but my familiarity with Glock makes it hard to walk away from.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Let us know what you decide.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 08-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #16

I went to the range with a buddy last night. I am 6 ft tall with good sized hands. He is 6' 4" with hands about the same size. He shot my Glock 27, with finger extensions on the magazines, but for some reason he wound up with a blood blister at the spot where the magazine meets the gun. I have never had this happen. You really do need to shoot the guns first. I really like my Glock but you may not.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:03 AM   #17
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I carry a M&P 45 most of the time, I have shot Glocks but the grip angle doesn't fit me well. I could tell you why I like the M&P more than a Glock but that is just my opinion. If you can't shoot both I expect you can hold both, it comes down to what fits your hand better and your natural point of sight is better.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:08 AM   #18

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I carry a M&P 45 most of the time, I have shot Glocks but the grip angle doesn't fit me well. I could tell you why I like the M&P more than a Glock but that is just my opinion. If you can't shoot both I expect you can hold both, it comes down to what fits your hand better and your natural point of sight is better.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
What WDB said. (M&P .40).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-15-2010, 07:44 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I almost always have to buy guns semi-blindly. At best I get to hold them, access function levers/buttons and if I'm real lucky DRY-FIRE THEM!

Both guns will serve you well. Many folks hate the way Glocks feel, but I have never thought the grip to be that problematic. I no longer own a Glock, but I have in the past and never had an issue with function, reliability or shoot-ability.

Not much experience with M&P pistols. However as stated above, there's quite a bit of satisfaction and pride that comes with owning an American made piece of innovation and craftsmanship. Smith and Wesson provides exactly that.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a proud Glock owner. After alot of research, I went with the G19 because its compact, held 15 rounds, fit snug in my hand and was 80 dollars less than the M&P. Thanks for the input guys.