Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Glock. Its a love/hate thing... Why?!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I'm new to any firearm forum and I've just been reading a bunch lately...

It seems people either love glock, or absolutely hate it...

I can understand why someone would love glock. I get it.

But I don't understand why people hate it...
I'm not a glock fan boy, I'm just curious as to why...

I hear a lot of talk about it being "Tupperware", but there are plenty of polymer guns out there..

And I guess you can hate it because there are less safeties...

....the only legitimate reason I see for hating glock is that they are ugly as HELL!

What's YOUR reason?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #2

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Although I am firmly in the 1911 camp, I don't hate Glocks. I think they are an extremely reliable handgun, and the lack of a safety (other than the trigger safety) bothers me not at all. After all, most revolvers don't have safetys.

But I don't want one. Years ago I bought a Model 23 to see what all the hype on Glocks were about, shot it a few months, then sold it. Yes, to me it was ugly and had the "feel" of a brick, but the deal breaker for me was the long, heavy "squirt gun" trigger. I've been spoiled by the 1911.

It used to be said that the Glock was the gun for people who didn't like guns. Some of y'all here will understand this comment; some won't.

Nuthin' wrong with the Glock; it's just not for me.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 439

I think it is more about fun, kind of like chevy vs. ford. Dont take it to serious, everyone likes what they like and sometimes folks have fun sticking up for what they like. I think glock gets a hit because they are such a common name when you think polymer gun. Yes there are many others out there and no glock was not the first polymer gun. But they have a big marketing campaign and they give discounts to law enforcment.

With the discounts to law enforcment means many agencies buy them because they are cheaper. This in turn means that they are known and seen by many people. Cops, civvilians talking to cops, cops on t.v. and the news. So they have a decent foot holdin the minds of gun owners and those who do not even know anything about guns. The media is always talking about glocks.

So I think that because of all the publicity it becomes an easy target. Also it seems because of the publicity many people who do not know much about guns buy a glock. So then you have the people who are big into guns biewing thos ewho have a glock as somone who may be no as informed as a 1911 or hi-power owner.

This then creates a compettion. On the other hand some folkes just like plastic while some like steel and wood.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 04-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I do not hate Glock. As a Matter of fact, the new Gen 4 supposedly fixes what was my main issue with the brand and that was the muzzle jump. I do agree that they are rather unappealing though.

I have shot several different S& W handguns, and they feel significantly better in my hand than a Glock does.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Glocks are ugly, uncomfortable, Austrian, expensive for what they are, they flip like crazy, they're ugly and I hate them for all of those reasons. But mainly because they have such a huge fans base and I don't understand F**king WHY!

Just my solicited humble opinion. :-p

SO SAYETH THE CATTLEDOG! ALL HAIL THE LIZARD KING!!!

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
People Like This 
Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #6

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I agree much with Txpossum. But I'll go on to add...

The lack of anything more than that dingus on the trigger does bother me. Yes, DA revolvers don't have an external safety, but they also have a much, MUCH, heavier, and usually longer, trigger pull. Anywhere from 10-20 pounds depending on year, make, model, and country of origin. The GLOCK has what? A standard 5-7 pound pull, or thereabouts (not counting new york triggers or aftermarket trigger jobs)? And the dingus does nothing as far as I'm concerned. If the trigger hangs on anything, what is the likelihood that it will hang up anywhere other than on the face?

My biggest problem with GLOCK, in itself, is that even for all those who say "it's ergonomically designed", sure, the designers had ergos in mind when they designed it, as a checklist of everything NOT to do with it.

The reason I talk **** about them? To piss off the fanboys. There is a marked difference between fanboys of GLOCKs, and fanboys of 1911's, even among the most rabid of either camp. GLOCK fanboys (obviously not speaking to or of all of them), tend to sometimes insult a person's intelligence, masculinity, family, and sexual preferences when they find someone who doesn't like GLOCK. 1911 fanboys can, have, and will do the same, but it's not quite as prevalent. Those that do, it seems, usually tend to be Kimber nuts and talk smack about even 1911 fans who don't like Kimber

Plus, if it's been "Perfection" from day one, why are we on the 4th generation? The basic premise for the true 1911 has survived over 100 years with no major design changes.

That said, I will one day own a GLOCK 17. It does work, is reliable, simple to operate and maintain, shoots the cheap 9MM, and while you can get a 9MM in nearly any platform, they don't all have 33 round mags available. I'd give my left nut for a select fire GLOCK 18 though.

It's also fun to pick on the fanboys by pointing out that they're misspelling GLOCK when they don't use all caps... It's a patented brand, the correct spelling is always with all caps.

Oh my... I miss the days when I was allowed into the GLOCK forum. I trolled my ass off in there.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

^^^^

I still pick on the glock heads from time to time. It is usually by accident though. I checked the thread location this time

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #8

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Where's all the Glock . . . pardon me, GLOCK love here? Common' Glockies, we're picking on your babies . . . ugly babies, to be sure, but hey, someone bought those cabbage patch dolls.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #9

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
^^^^

I still pick on the glock heads from time to time. It is usually by accident though. I checked the thread location this time
I don't have to check... I put in a special request and asked "pretty please" to be barred from the GLOCK forum permanently!

Old 04-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I don't have to check... I put in a special request and asked "pretty please" to be barred from the GLOCK forum permanently!
LOL thats cool. I didnt know we could do that.

Closed Thread