Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Glock

Hi guys I'm new here ! I know this is weird but I have a blank firing glock 17, but contrary to it's brothers who fire real ammunition, my G17 has an internal hammer. I was wondering whether while not in use the internal hammer should be left cocked or decocked ? I just don't want to break it because this Is my second one because of sone earlier firing pin issues due to dry firing id be very grateful if anyone can help - Any advice id welcome. Thank you.

James

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #2

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My first question is why do you have a blank firing glock? You will get different opinions about dry firing a gun, some strictly say dont do it and other say its not harmful at all.. I personally have never had any problems when dry firing a gun,i dont do it very often but still havent had a problem.i dont think that leaving it charged would hurt anything. I wouldnt leave it like that for 20 years but it wont hurt it inbetween firings. I would say if ur not gonna use it for quite a while dry fire it to depress the spring and store it

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 09-24-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #3

Well I live in the uk so things like this are the best I can get haha. But ok thanks for the help

James

Old 09-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #4

It fires blanks ? So is this really a self defense weapon like to scare people or for some other use

Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #5

A bit of that and also for personal enjoyment

James

Old 09-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

You can dry fire flocks forever. This directly from Leo (adventure shooting in Chesterfield, MO) who worked for Glock for 25 years. You can also keep it cocked and ready to go. 'Loading up' a spring does not cause it to degrade.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 09-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #7

But because my glock Is only a blank firer, it does not have the same internal build as a normal glock. Mine has an internal hammer and does not resemble a glock in any function features except the outside appearance. I just wanted to know about whether the hammer should stay cocked whilst not in use because I like to cock my glock a lot, so this would save the springs from being constantly 'abused'

James

Old 09-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockCock
But because my glock Is only a blank firer, it does not have the same internal build as a normal glock. Mine has an internal hammer and does not resemble a glock in any function features except the outside appearance. I just wanted to know about whether the hammer should stay cocked whilst not in use because I like to cock my glock a lot, so this would save the springs from being constantly 'abused'

James
I don't think it will hurt it. In general, springs don't get weaker from being tensioned.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrower

I don't think it will hurt it. In general, springs don't get weaker from being tensioned.

Here some reference material for you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

Old 09-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #10

Thank you for that link - I think I understand now. So basically I can leave my spring cocked whilst not in use unless for extended periods of time, where is should drop the hammer. Thank you every one

James