Glock 30 or xdm 45c?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Glock 30 or xdm 45c?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Glock 30 or xdm 45c?

Been trying to decide between these two pistols and keep coming to a stand still. Haven't actually shot either pistol yet. I've shot an xdm9 4.5 and a glock 19 but never the 45 cal versions of these fine gun makers. Please offer your opinions of these two models and preferably someone who has shot both weapons. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Well, my .02 is....I have shot both and as far as performance goes, it's really 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other. The triggers are different, it depends on your liking. Weight, height, length, somewhat similar, not enough difference to split hairs over, (to me, just my .02) just depends on what you want to use it for...EDC, HD, target, etc. Reliability, again, 6 in one, half in the other...Both manufacturers have excellent track records for reliability, as well as outstanding service departments should the need ever arise.

The one thing the Springfields have over the Glocks is the goodies that come with a new purchase, holster, mags, mag holsters, they run specials from time to time where you can buy a new gun that comes with 2 or 3 mags, send in a coupon and get one or two more free. pretty sweet if you ask me!

The functionality is what I suppose you should focus on...I.E. Which do you shoot best, which is most comfortable to you...only you can answer that. See if you can't try some out, rental range nearby?

FWIW...I ended up with the G30 for my winter EDC, it's just what fit me best, although I wouldn't have minded not having to spend extra cash on spare mags... Hope this helps!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I struggled with the decision which one to buy....i chose the G30 mainly because i already had a glock. With that being said, i plan on getting a xdm 3.5 45acp down the road. I dont believe i will have a problem with either or i just want something different. I shot my 30 the other day and it was sweet. It shoots better than my 23 as far as comfort.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Xdm 45 compact is my main everyday carry gun. Its got fast followups recoil is more manageable than a full size 1911. It comes with a short 9 round mag but still uses the 13 round fullsize. You get a really tough hardcase with holster mag carrier 3 backstraps a 9 and 13 round mag and 3 grip extensions if you care to use them.

What i really like is the big diff tween glock and xdm is the xdm is a true single action for a predictable trigger pull every time. Its got a natural grip angle match grade barrel and a grip safety making it far harder to squeeze one off unintentionally.

I suggest renting or at least handling both to see what fits.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #5

Great info thanks guys! Yeah I like the XDM trigger better than the glock trigger but I actually shot the glock a little better (the 9mm versions of the two) even tho the barrel was .5 shorter on the g19 than the XDM 4.5. But I would be carrying the g30/XDM 45c as a primary SD weapon so this would not really matter because the difference on paper targets are so minute and would hit its target in any SD situation, which would serve its purpose. Still have to shoot them though cuz a 45 is a lot different than a 9mm shot. One thing I do like better about glock is that there are tons of aftermarket stuff made and there is a glockmeister 20 mins from me which is nice. Not sure how hard it is with Springfield though I have heard good things about them. XDM package is a definite plus too! Hmmmm....decisions decisions!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

you mentioned mods. the only mods i have any desire to make to my xdm 4.5 45 is maybe a threaded barrel for a suppressor, a 460 rowland kit, more mags.

lots of folks mod glocks. not so many do it for xdm's. not sure why but for me personally the xdm is very close to the perfect combat/ccw gun. milege varies

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
you mentioned mods. the only mods i have any desire to make to my xdm 4.5 45 is maybe a threaded barrel for a suppressor, a 460 rowland kit, more mags.

lots of folks mod glocks. not so many do it for xdm's. not sure why but for me personally the xdm is very close to the perfect combat/ccw gun. milege varies
Yes, I do agree. I love the XDM. The only things I added to my XDM 9 was a stainless steel guide rod and x-treme rubber grips. I love how sturdy and well made the XDM feels when you hold it. You can def feel it is of quality.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #8

If you're going to use it as an edc gun you might want to check out the xds. They had it at shot show and is real slim, small, and only comes in .45 acp. Just a thought. Google xds.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemanod
If you're going to use it as an edc gun you might want to check out the xds. They had it at shot show and is real slim, small, and only comes in .45 acp. Just a thought. Google xds.
Ahhh yes I did see that! That is definitely an option I am looking in to. I heard people have started preordering the XDS through gun shops already for $499 (?). I'm excited to see how people like it.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:36 AM   #10

Glock 30 all day. The glocks are such a simple rugged design that go bang everytime. My g30 has never once malfunctioned and accuracy is spot on. I have carried it iwb and owb both being very comfortable for me. I dont think you will ever go wrong with a glock as a defense weapon they just function well in any condition.